• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does anyone out there have a meditation practice? Does it help?

nigheandonn

nigheandonn

I've been on a 6 month down swing... some days it's like someone pulled the shade over my mind others I function okay, I'm just sad. I'm on lithium, only 300 mgs (I know that's a tiny dose, though I am a small person) and my doc wants to double it to 600 mgs. I hate taking meds, but bad things happen when I go off them.

I started an experiment last week- every morning as soon as I wake I sit for a 15 minute meditation. The results are amazing. I get through the day with no tears, I am more productive, and better able to structure my time. I've had a yoga practice for 3 years now so maybe this was the next logical step, but it's really surprised me. Now when I miss my meditation it's like missing a dose of lithium in terms of the change in my mood. Anyone else out there have a meditation practice? Has it helped? How? Were you able to reduce your meds as a result?

A

Apotheosis

There are stories of people that have completely recovered from all MH difficulties, & are now med free, from following meditation practices.

I do not presently have the discipline for regular meditation. But I have meditated a lot over the past 8 years. It does help, & I do gain benefit from it. I suppose that the effect is cumulative.

I personally use some very basic techniques - Slowing down my breathing, being aware of breath, & diaphragmatic breathing. Some progressive relaxation techniques. Some mindfulness, detachment & self observation techniques. & some visualisation stuff as well. I do find the guided relaxation CD's very helpful as well.

Check out this woman's story & some of her videos. She claims complete med free recovery using mediation -

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8c3zdsUU2GU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8c3zdsUU2GU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

A

Apotheosis

Meditation is not just a rest or retreat from the turmoil of the stream or the impurity of the world. It is a way of being the stream, so that one can be at home in both the white water and the eddies. Meditation may take one out of the world, but it also puts one totally into it. – Gary Snyder, from “Just One Breath,

A

Apotheosis

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5BLzvF6G4Ns&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5BLzvF6G4Ns&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

S

SmileyGirl

I am a practising buddist and meditate with a group once a week, and alone at home. Unfortunately I am quite scared of everthing outside at the mo, so I can't go to my group which is a massive gap in my life. I'm due to go to a monastery on 6th Dec too, I really hope I can get over my current anxiety enough to be able to go.
I have not been able to reduce my meds but I do find it incdribly rewarding. I sit through hours of my back hurting at times and my l;egs go num b cos I sit there too much!!
Its obviously an individuals choosing,but I can't see what harm breathing practices can do to anyone, there's so much information on the net about techniques and it really is very simple. Also for people who struggle to get to sleep - this is great relaxation.

I hope I don't sound like I'm preaching about buddism, I just want to share my experience of meditation and breathing techniques.

nigheandonn

nigheandonn

Thanks for the helpful links Apotheosis. I think I am still in that early 'honeymoon' stage of meditation where the benefits are very evident and sitting with myself feels reasonably easy... I'm sure it won't be too long before I hit up against that wall and have to fight my way through it. I've always admired meditation but been resistant to practicing it. Suddenly it just felt like a natural thing to do. I am desperate for a way to heal myself and create some peace and joy in my life. I know that all drugs have side effects and lithium is especially hard on kidneys and thyroid- I've seem what happens when those organs stop working properly and I hope never to face that. Any way to keep my need for meds down and my sense of well being up.

I heard from one of my best friends today that her friend/boyfriend of many years took his life. He was bipolar too. It breaks my heart. One of my greatest fears is that I will become so ill that I'll take my own life. There are three people close to me that have lost the ones they love most to suicide. I really want to live out my full human experience, to grow old among family and friends and find some peace in this life. Well hopefully this morning meditation I've been doing is a step along that road.

Smileygirl thanks for the Buddhist perspective. I hope you are well enough to go to the monastery... I am not Buddhist myself, but I've had a few interactions with Buddhist monks and they radiate peace and calm and goodwill. I would imagine that a monastery would be a grounding and soothing place to experience.

A

Apotheosis

I heard from one of my best friends today that her friend/boyfriend of many years took his life. He was bipolar too. It breaks my heart. One of my greatest fears is that I will become so ill that I'll take my own life.
I seriously tried it once, & it wasn't my time. I think that we still have free will & choice; however ill we are or become. I don't think that I would ever try it again, I decided that I wouldn't. however bad things got; & I have been far more ill since that time, on occasion.

There are three people close to me that have lost the ones they love most to suicide. I really want to live out my full human experience, to grow old among family and friends and find some peace in this life. Well hopefully this morning meditation I've been doing is a step along that road.
I have lost people to it too.

I also would like to live to an old age, maybe with kids & grand kids. Who knows? We get there a day at a time. & all we can really do is to follow our conscience & do what we think is right at the time. The morning meditation sounds like a good practise. :hug:

Peace of mind is the best thing there is, I had it once, many years ago, when I was a child.

nigheandonn

nigheandonn

Wow...thanks for sharing your words and your experience. I can understand the longing for the peace of mind that disappeared with childhood. I had a very happy childhood, but I also had nightmares almost every night and lived in constant fear of an imaginary world... seems to run in my family. Like mental illness unfortunately. I thought I had escaped those genes and then I turned 26 and it all fell to pieces. I have no illusions that I will be able to put them together again, but maybe I can build something new. The meditation creates space between my thoughts and that is very soothing.

A

Apotheosis

I have no illusions that I will be able to put them together again, but maybe I can build something new. The meditation creates space between my thoughts and that is very soothing.
Hi, I used to get bad nightmares as a kid too.

Of course something new can be built. Meditation practises can be highly effective & powerful. & yes, it does create a soothing, clam & peaceful space within ourselves. The effects of meditation appear to be cumulative, & are not a quick fix, but there is no doubt profound changes that can occur from it.