• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does anyone know how to manage triggers??

H

How are you doing

I just want some advice on how to manage triggers that cause me waves of unhealthy depression.

LizBo

LizBo

I just want some advice on how to manage triggers that cause me waves of unhealthy depression.
:welcome: to the forum!

In my experience, there's a process to dealing with triggers. First, recognizing the symptoms as soon as they occur is best. Then identifying where the trigger comes from will help immensely.

For example, when an electrician entered my home to do some work he walked mud through. After he left my symptoms revved up for hours on end. (I suffer anxiety/panic) I sat down and calmed myself enough to look back over the day for some clues.

It seemed I really wanted to tell him how inconsiderate he was and to take his shoes off at the door but I didn't. As I remembered this I felt a huge uneasiness in my tummy so I knew there was something about this situation that triggered me.

After assessing things I realized that complaining to 'a man with power over some part of my world' evoked huge fear. (previous trauma) The surprising aspect was, I'd been focusing on other people/events etc instead of my own responses. It was my fear of acting that caused anxiety, not the other person. As soon as this hit home, my symptoms immediately lowered to nearly nothing.

The most overwhelming aspect of suffering MH problems, is the helplessness one feels at the lack of control we have over our symptoms. We can't change others, but we can certainly change ourselves. That was the relief I felt that day.

Just identifying what caused my symptoms was such a huge learning curve. I did this same process whenever I experienced symptoms out of the blue and eventually they went away. (It took a couple of years as I'd had a major breakdown so my brain needed to heal too) These days, if I feel a slight gnawing feeling in my gut I know there's something to attend to within myself.

I'm sorry for this long post, but I wanted to explain things clearly so you might understand for your own benefit. It's important we pass on our successes.

Keep in touch as engaging with people who're in recovery will support your own journey. I'm really glad you had the courage to write here HAYD. (Short version of your username)

Take care;
Liz (hugs)

H

How are you doing

:welcome: to the forum!

In my experience, there's a process to dealing with triggers. First, recognizing the symptoms as soon as they occur is best. Then identifying where the trigger comes from will help immensely.

For example, when an electrician entered my home to do some work he walked mud through. After he left my symptoms revved up for hours on end. (I suffer anxiety/panic) I sat down and calmed myself enough to look back over the day for some clues.

It seemed I really wanted to tell him how inconsiderate he was and to take his shoes off at the door but I didn't. As I remembered this I felt a huge uneasiness in my tummy so I knew there was something about this situation that triggered me.

After assessing things I realized that complaining to 'a man with power over some part of my world' evoked huge fear. (previous trauma) The surprising aspect was, I'd been focusing on other people/events etc instead of my own responses. It was my fear of acting that caused anxiety, not the other person. As soon as this hit home, my symptoms immediately lowered to nearly nothing.

The most overwhelming aspect of suffering MH problems, is the helplessness one feels at the lack of control we have over our symptoms. We can't change others, but we can certainly change ourselves. That was the relief I felt that day.

Just identifying what caused my symptoms was such a huge learning curve. I did this same process whenever I experienced symptoms out of the blue and eventually they went away. (It took a couple of years as I'd had a major breakdown so my brain needed to heal too) These days, if I feel a slight gnawing feeling in my gut I know there's something to attend to within myself.

I'm sorry for this long post, but I wanted to explain things clearly so you might understand for your own benefit. It's important we pass on our successes.

Keep in touch as engaging with people who're in recovery will support your own journey. I'm really glad you had the courage to write here HAYD. (Short version of your username)

Take care;
Liz (hugs)
Thank you so much for this. It really has helped me to see someone else to overcome there pain.thank you

Z

Zoe1

hi How are you doing :welcome: !

ive had to work very hard on my triggers
and have spent years in therapy and at support groups
and group therapy , phone lines, and reading

for me its a constant process
as I find that a trigger is a sign of something
that I need to work on

I dont mind doing this , because I find it inspiring
and to be a creative process

I hope you will find what you need here

:grouphug:🍀🌻🌅🎶

S

Snowshoes68

I would recommend looking into the Dialectical Behavior Therapy skills workbook and seeing if this resource would work for you