• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does anyone have psychosis without the hallucinations?

S

sgrand

I got diagnosed with it about 3 years ago, I've never really had any hallucinations just a delusion about something that happened in a night club one night, they say that psychosis is just temporary but I still believe that I'm being followed and monitored and the fact I don't have any hallucinations or strange, off reality based delusions makes me wonder wether I actually have pyschosis.

I just wanted to know if anyone else is in a similar position to me, with no hallucinations just a delusion that could be or feels very real?

shaky

shaky

Hi sgrand and welcome to the forum
:welcome:

At the moment I am free from psychosis - but it does affect me every now and then.
I have never had a visual halucination and only for a time in 2009 did I have auditory halucinations.
My psychosis is allmost always just delusions.
Delusions of grandeur - that I am a god, or that I can heal people
Or delusions of reference - that telly or songs are telling me what is going to happen to me
Or other stuff.

So yes, it is very possible and even common to have psychosis without hallucinations.

T

thrill

I got diagnosed with it about 3 years ago, I've never really had any hallucinations just a delusion about something that happened in a night club one night, they say that psychosis is just temporary but I still believe that I'm being followed and monitored and the fact I don't have any hallucinations or strange, off reality based delusions makes me wonder wether I actually have pyschosis.

I just wanted to know if anyone else is in a similar position to me, with no hallucinations just a delusion that could be or feels very real?
If you were delusional you would'nt have made this thread because you would'nt of been aware that you were having a delusion.
Simply put when someone is delusional they don't know it's a delusion, the experience may seem bizarre.

When a person can empart the delusion then that means they are post psychotic in the medical sense.

SarahD

SarahD

I have done a lot of reading about insight, and read that up to 60 per cent of people with schizophrenia and 40 per cent of people with bipolar who have psychosis may have no insight.that means a great many do have insight, and so will be aware they are psychotic when they are having delusions or hallucinations, at least to some extent.

I believe also after some time you can learn to be aware when you are delusional or having hallucinations. Years ago when psychotic I had no idea I was. But now I can tell a lot of the time hallucinations are not real. I have learnt to do so. Even with delusions (which are the thing that cause the most trouble) I can tell at least some of the time, and carry out reality checks to be sure. The trouble is delusions feel very real, so I sort of believe them even while knowing it can't be real, and sometimes act on them.

So I don't agree with you Thrill. I have strong delusions at the moment, it feels that they are real, but I also know they can't be.

T

thrill

I was talking about my own experience.

There're different types of delusions, so in some sense you are correct.

P

plumtart

My psychosis experience was last year when i was sitting at the office and suddenly i saw visual hallunication in form of enlarged icons in golden colours and all the text of the email program flooding into my eyes. Then at the same time, i felt the mind was becoming unstable and there is an urge in me wanting to scream aloud as well as wanting to loosen the clothing. i had to maintain self control and took myself home immediately and sleep to recover.

E

Ernaa

I also had paranoia. That someone is watching me. But I have never felt hallucinations. Sometimes I am wondering what kind of psychosis there is. Also I was aware that I experiencing such type of fear.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I remember prior to my first time in hospital - I had no hallucinations.

During one visit from the p-doc - he asked do I hear voices? I was like wtf? What are voices???

But they did start quite soon after I was discharged.

Kerome

Kerome

Paranoia can turn into delusion quite easily. I had something similar early on during my episode, where I was hearing things through the walls of my flat and was thinking people were watching me. That then evolved over the course of a few days into elaborate schemes of what-if, where I was thinking the voices were a kind of telepathy and I was talking to people all over the world. I was continually looking for proof.

Which is mostly why I am not sure if what I experienced was delusion. The reality was I was hearing voices. All the rest was my mind trying to make up explanations, and me then trying to hold it to a scientific standard of proof. Which is reasonable behaviour when confronted with the amazing.