• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

does anyone have problems with alcohol that suffers with bipolar ?

S

shelly

Just wanted to know if anyone has problems with alcohol ? and if yes how they over came these .

bobshocker

bobshocker

Former member
yeh, i was using it to bring myself down at the end of the day. bottle of wine a night. never drank in the day and never before 6pm.

pcdoc shit a fit, said if i carried on he wouldnt help me.

so cut down with a few beers and then nuthing.

i can honestly say it's made fuck all difference, but i guess it's healthier

M

McHouse

i used to be a very heavy drinker ,2-3 bottles of vodka or gin a day/night, i was basically using alcohol to mask the symptoms of bipolar either depression or mania. i had to go to rehab where my symptoms showed on their full glory to get the correct diagnoses (also considering the history of untreated depressions and manias)

H

happyhappy

Founding Member
Yes, I drink to alleviate stress, anxiety, depression.....it doesn't always work. I have not had a drink for 6 weeks, almost the longest I have ever gone in my adult life (longest is 3 months) and I have to be honest.....it is a struggle at times. It is getting easier in terms of not automatically thinking about booze when I get uptight but I find shopping difficult......go past the wine aisle. Sunny weather.....it wouldbe nice to have a cool beer....weekend, nice glass of wine.....
I hope to be able to get back to the approriate drinking like a cold beer in the sun or on a weekend a nice glass of wine but first I have to teach myself to drop the habit or the crutch drinks. I am hoping I can do this as doc agrees I am not an alcoholic but I do have a difficulty with using it to self medicate.

Hh
x

loulabelle

loulabelle

Yes i was drinkung upto 2-3 bottles a night i went to my local drug and alcohol service im now getting support i hadnt drunk for a month but then relaspsed now my aim is nothing for 3 months

If u want to stop really get.help to do it its hard work but mabe it will be worth it need too get new copping stratagies

prairiechick

prairiechick

Former member
At a very young age I realized that I have a very addictive personality, and decided that I would not drink even one glass of wine. Also, alcohol wasn't commonly consumed by my parents until I was in my late teens, so it wasn't modelled for me. My addiction is to food instead.

S

shelly

Just wanted to thank you for your replies. Went to AA last night need to get back on track as I do use it to self medicate when I feel bad. Just wondering if it's going to be harder to beat because I have bipolar. I seem to manage a few weeks then lapse end up drinking a bottle of wine . I don't carry on the next day but it is still not ideal. Hoping to get myself a sponsor to help me :). Will let you know how things go. x

I

iamfunky

I do.

I can't drink anymore, or i turn into a nightmare!!!

I won't stop drinking, i get violent and aggressive, or emotional, self harm, want to suicide, angry, crazy, promiscious, depressesed for a week afterwards, hate myself, guilt ridden.

It's awful, so i just don't do it, or if i do i get my BF to pick mne up at a certain time, so i have to stop drinking and can be all 'high' in the safety of my own home.

xxxxx