• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Does anyone have experience with Hydroxyzine?

H

HisWife

My son died last September, after a long illness, and I have struggled greatly with sleep since then, as well as anxiety and of course grief. I have tried a variety of meds. Prazosin has helped immensely with staying asleep and not waking due to nightmares, and I also take Trazodone and Ambien, and while this is the best combination I've tried, I still get maybe 4 hours on a decent night. I'm exhausted all the time.

Anyway, last week, I had two panic attacks, with sky high blood pressure and suicidal thoughts. My psychiatrist prescribed me Hydroxyzine as a PRN. Well two days ago, I had something that I knew was going to be upsetting and triggering, so I took one, and slept pretty well considering the triggering thing. So, last night, I took another and slept 8 hours. I think the last time I slept 8 hours, was before my child got sick 3 years ago. It was like Christmas or something.

Anyway, I emailed my Dr., but I'm wondering if this is a med I could conceivably take every day long term? Does anyone know? Or will it be like Benadryl which used to make me sleepy and now does nothing at all.

ILikePancakes

ILikePancakes

Hydroxyzine is more like Benadryl. It's actually an antihistamine, so literally Benadryl. It is an allergy medicine that makes you feel drowsy. I was on Buspirone at one point and it worked well until I quit it cold turkey and when I got back on it, it stopped working. Don't ever quit psych meds cold turkey!

H

HisWife

So for me, I take the Benadryl and it works for a few nights, and then I'm used to it and it doesn't work. My son, who takes it for allergies, it's the same way. Like the first few nights of allergy season he's sleepy. After that, it still makes him not sneeze, which is why he takes it, but he's not drowsy.

So, I'm worried that if I take it every day, it will stop making me sleepy, and that it will stop working as a rescue med.

It would be awesome if I was wrong and I actually found a sleeping med that works for me.

ILikePancakes

ILikePancakes

So for me, I take the Benadryl and it works for a few nights, and then I'm used to it and it doesn't work. My son, who takes it for allergies, it's the same way. Like the first few nights of allergy season he's sleepy. After that, it still makes him not sneeze, which is why he takes it, but he's not drowsy.

So, I'm worried that if I take it every day, it will stop making me sleepy, and that it will stop working as a rescue med.

It would be awesome if I was wrong and I actually found a sleeping med that works for me.
Unfortunately, some people can easily build resistance to such a benign drug. And increasing the dose can actually have an opposite affect and make you more irritated and restless. Getting medication management is a trial and error kind of thing. Doctors don't really know what to prescribe so they just start with something and see what happens and go from there. Just be completely honest with your doctor and if you need something stronger, tell them you need something stronger.

H

HisWife

Unfortunately, some people can easily build resistance to such a benign drug. And increasing the dose can actually have an opposite affect and make you more irritated and restless. Getting medication management is a trial and error kind of thing. Doctors don't really know what to prescribe so they just start with something and see what happens and go from there. Just be completely honest with your doctor and if you need something stronger, tell them you need something stronger.
So the "stronger" stuff hasn't really worked for me. I tried to taper down the trazodone, and was like -- oh yeah my sleep is worse now, but trazodone gets me to like 4 hours. This doubled that.

That was what was so weird, but also why I'm afraid of it not working long term, because I don't what we'd try next.

ILikePancakes

ILikePancakes

So the "stronger" stuff hasn't really worked for me. I tried to taper down the trazodone, and was like -- oh yeah my sleep is worse now, but trazodone gets me to like 4 hours. This doubled that.

That was what was so weird, but also why I'm afraid of it not working long term, because I don't what we'd try next.
I've also had the same problem of not knowing what's next and it's something you would have to ask the doctor about. Just to be clear, is it anxiety that is keeping you awake?

H

HisWife

I've also had the same problem of not knowing what's next and it's something you would have to ask the doctor about. Just to be clear, is it anxiety that is keeping you awake?
Anxiety or hypervigilance? I think there are two things. One is that my kid needed 24/7 eyes on supervision for the last year or so of his life, which mean I didn't sleep much, and so my body got used to be on alert in the night? And it's hard to switch that off. Plus my son died while I was asleep at night (not becuase I fell asleep, my husband was with him at the hospital) and so night is a PTSD trigger for me?

And also that I push down all my anxiety all day, so I can earn a living and parent my other kids, and then it kind of spills over late at night?

That's my guess.

ILikePancakes

ILikePancakes

Anxiety or hypervigilance? I think there are two things. One is that my kid needed 24/7 eyes on supervision for the last year or so of his life, which mean I didn't sleep much, and so my body got used to be on alert in the night? And it's hard to switch that off. Plus my son died while I was asleep at night (not becuase I fell asleep, my husband was with him at the hospital) and so night is a PTSD trigger for me?

And also that I push down all my anxiety all day, so I can earn a living and parent my other kids, and then it kind of spills over late at night?

That's my guess.
It makes sense that all of that would contribute to loss of sleep. I want to say, I'm really sorry to hear about your son, though. The other day, I worked a shift in the ICU and I saw a mother watch her 17 year old son die and I cried for her. My heart goes out to you because I can't even imagine the pain of losing a child.
I'm no mental health expert, but it sounds like you need something that'll almost force sleep on you even if it's a temporary fix until you can find a permanent solution. I know a lot of people look down on Xanax because it's sold on the streets and abused, but Xanax actually put me to sleep in the midst of an anxiety attack so severe, I seriously thought I was going to die. And it was low dose too.