• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does anyone have anyone to talk to in the mental health services even if they don't get better?

J

Jazzrara

I have seen psychiatrist, cpn's and psychologists, but I don't get any better. Because of this they then just end up referring me back to my GP, who then just refers me back to them when I tell her I'm still struggling. I try to cope with this on my own for as long as I can hold out, but there are times I feel I need to talk to a mental health professional, but what's the point if they just give up if I'm not progressing? They just end up making me feel even more of a failure by giving up on me.

I just feel like I'm going round and round in circles and just wonder if anyone else gets treated this way? I currently take antidepressants and antipsychotics. I don't even get a call from my GP surgery to have my bloods done for this medication, which I'm supposed to have done because of a risk of the antipsychotics causing diabetes. They just leave me alone and don't really seem to give a damn. Even the Crisis support line just tell me to have a cup of tea a warm bath and to phone my doctor about a referral back to community mental health support if I ring them.

N

natalie

Hi jazzara,

Oops, I'm sorry to read this.

Have they not given you or in your paperwork, a form of diagnosis, that must be so annoying?

Right, I would advise as soon as possible, you phone despite the blood test rationing at the moment, the surgery for about blood tests to be done, and see what they say, other wise, and I can only advise, maybe relocate to a different practice, who might act a much better?

Also, I would make a complaint to the managerial services of CMHT, and also to the GPs.

Once again, I am sorry to hear this.

Have a hopeful good evening,

Best regards,

Natalie.

A

Aurelius

Sorry to say this is all too common now and all the signs are it is likely to get a lot worse before it gets any better. After decades and decades of under-investment in people and communities plus cuts in health/mental health professionals, services and resources it is hard to provide even an Elastoplast response now. I guess it is why many of us come here or to charities like MIND.

N

NothingToSeeHere

No, my experience has been pretty much the same as yours. Everywhere it is advertised if you feel unwell you should talk but there isn't anyone to talk to.

Topcat

Topcat

My experience was pretty much the same when I was under CMHT. Referred, medicated or if not wanting medication, just discharged again back to GP, re-referred when struggling again etc etc. And no access to free counselling because you're under CMHT. I didn't qualify for talking therapy when they finally offered the chance of it as there were limited spaces.
I eventually ended up under a psychiatrist who continued to see me without medicating me, he was arrogant, abrupt and not great to talk to but at least he didn't just ignore me, try to prescribe or get rid of me again. And he did at least listen to me. By then though I was feeling much better so I didn't need the help so much!

J

Jazzrara

@natalie -From the psychiatrist I spoke to in December of last year. On a form written to my GP, it states outcome of assessment. Working diagnoses of Schizoaffective disorder/depressive type and Borderline personality disorder.

When I asked about talk therapy, I was told that they don't deal with cases like mine and I would have to have the Community Mental Health team. Who, like I explained, just want me to do things that cause my mental health problems to sky rocket.

How is drinking a cup of tea going to do anything though. I have drank tea most days from the age of about 16 years old and it isn't something that has made me feel better.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'm not the only one then. Yes, people tell you to talk and when you try to talk this happens.

J

Jazzrara

Just want to add that I was quite popular and had many friends until this mental health problem started. I lost some friends because I wasn't medicated and was acting strange sometimes to them, I guess. So I don't even have any friends I can talk to now. I guess I must have met all the wrong people because I know other people have mental health problems and it doesn't put people off them.

Only person I have is my sister to talk to and she has was diagnosed with incurable cancer last year. I keep believing some miracle is going to happen that rids her of this disease because I can't get it through my head that I may not have her around in my life.

T

turnitoffandonagain_again

Yeah, can identify with that. Mental Health Services favourite game is pass-the-parcel. I spent more than 2 years going round in a great big circle of referrals-to-referrals, back to the GP again (then the pandemic kicked in, then I had to have emergency brain surgery, after which, disappointingly, I found I felt even worse).

Had several 'assessments' and twice ended up at IATP, before they gave up on me again (for reasons I don't understand - seems to me they want someone who has no problems to begin with so they can just tick the 'cured' box with minimal effort on their part - if you continue to have problems they just get rid of you).
There are various 'help lines', akin to the Samaritans, that you can call to talk to in a rather non-specific 'counseling' sort of way. Have tried those in desperation sometimes.

J

Jazzrara

Well, the next time I speak with my GP, I'll just ask him to put some PG tips Tea bags on my repeat prescription and also ask if he can prescribe me a bigger bath. Maybe it's because the bath is too small and my knees are not in the water that I'm not getting full affects of the warm bath.

N

natalie

I think, maybe, if you are under them, or if not do a bit of ground research first, I would maybe contact aphysio team, at a hospital, and they can then possible adivse of maybe adapting to getting a bath, which is slightly h igher and also wider, I wonder if that might an idea, worth looking into?

Worth a go anyway.

Best regards.

Wishbone

Wishbone

The next time you speak with your doc or psych dig your heels in and say "Look, we're going round in circles here, I don't want to be taking up your time I just want help. You have a diagnosis for me so can you just give me the help that is most effective for this so I can get better and stop this hideous cycle" (Or words to that effect, expletives may appear). Practically demand DBT therapy for the BPD, they'll have it somewhere. The Schizoaffective may need mood stabilisers so ask to try those and who knows it may turn out that you have neither of those disorders because they so often don't seem to know what the hell they're doing.

J

Jazzrara

@Wishbone - You just got me thinking about the medication I'm taking. I have just looked to see if Olanzapine is classed as a mood stabilizer as well as an antipsychotic and I get different opinions when I google searched it. They upped my dose of olanzapine from 10mg to 15mg five months ago and wanted to increase it again after I told them I was still experiencing things at times. This time I refused though because quite frankly I'm sick of them just expecting me to have an increase in medication when nobody is even observing what it's doing. Like I already mentioned, they don't even check my bloods every six months like they are supposed to do.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I hear you, they've not checked mine in over 18 months either, probably longer actually. You can always discuss meds with your doc and if you can make a case for one, or one type, the worst they can do is say no. It's what I've done for my last two meds and they work well for me now (Bipolar). I say do your homework, find something that may fit with your presentation, and see what they say - but you do have to push it a bit.