• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does anyone have any good reasons to stop self harming?

Dingo16

Dingo16

I've been having a hard time finding a good reason to stop. Don't have any loved ones to not do it for and I don't do it in places people can see so no social pressures/ fear of being discovered. I feel like most of the lists found online of reasons not to do it aren't very good. I honestly enjoy the rush I get when I do it and having the physical reminders that what I'm going through is real (not just in my head) so its been really hard to quit.

Bod

Bod

I know it can be very hard to stop SH as I turned to it at a very young age when I was about 10/11 years old and it went on until I was 40yrs and then my life totally changed and very slowly I had to get the help that I needed, going through all my pain grief hatred and self loathing was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life but I came out the other side, and on the 6th September this year I will be 20 years stopped and it is such a great feeling. I do still think of SH a lot but I can now control and stop acting on the thoughts.

Zero One

Zero One

1. Too beautiful
2. Already did enough SH.
3. PTSD and depression from Bipolar I are being managed

G

Ghibli

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm sorry about this. Getting the right kind of support, especially with therapy, can be very helpful. I still have thoughts about self harming. There are days when I don't want to get out of bed. What made me stop self harming was when I realized that it doesn't help at all. I had to learn how to be kind to myself. Therapy can help a lot with that. I hope you feel better soon.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Unless you plan on spending your entire life on your own then someone is going to eventually see the scars, which means you'll have to explain. Someone could also discover them if you had an accident. The scars will also have to keep being in the same areas if you want to hide them so they'll be very unsightly before too long. You'll then wish you didn't have them as they'll make you feel ugly. In short: stop doing it and find a more reasonable way to cope with whatever it is that is going on internally; you do not need to punish the physical body for psychological problems.

3xy

I wish I had never self harmed. As the child of a self harmer, I know first hand the burden of feeling responsible for my dad's pain. Now I have a daughter and although she hasn't yet asked me about my old scars, I regret them.

F

Floya

I've been having a hard time finding a good reason to stop. Don't have any loved ones to not do it for and I don't do it in places people can see so no social pressures/ fear of being discovered. I feel like most of the lists found online of reasons not to do it aren't very good. I honestly enjoy the rush I get when I do it and having the physical reminders that what I'm going through is real (not just in my head) so its been really hard to quit.
as long as you are breathing what you are going thru is Real, there so many people in the same situation, the hardest part is not having any loves ones around. In this case you need professional help, because a lot of times the pros replace the loved ones because of the care and compassion you get from them.

P

Pennybrite

What about finding a way to express your feelings to a trusted person (or us) so that you don't have express your feelings with physical harm?

Backwoods Beast

Backwoods Beast

Dingo16,

I started SH when I was in middle school. It peaked in college, where I was engaging in multiple types. After having a psychotic episode and getting help/meds, I slowly moved away from it - particularly after graduating and going through several life changes (moving away, starting a career, etc.). I'm not golden though. Occasionally I'll go back to it, because I like the release and control. In fact, this happened recently, so your question rings clear in my mind because I've had it myself.

I am now married, and my biggest detractor is my spouse. I understand that you don't feel as though you have anyone, but someday you might, and if they're a good partner or friend, they'll be a good reason to avoid SH... Now, I'm sure that's not exactly what you want to hear. And the fact that I still do it from time to time and hide it from my partner doesn't make for a great argument, but at least it's a drastic difference from before.

Another line of reasoning I have is regarding tattoos. I have tats that I don't want to ruin, which were, in small part, strategically placed to prevent me from destroying the area. There are other areas where I'd like to put a tattoo, but scarring makes that difficult. Whether you do or don't have tats, you might want to consider these things. It may even be a nice trade.

So there's that angle, and there's also the bit about having to awkwardly explain things. If it's not a tattoo artist, it'll be a medical professional. I never go to the doctor. I hate it with everything in me, and avoid it to the detriment of my health. One reason is because I don't want anyone to touch me, and I definitely don't want anyone to see what I've done to myself. I also cringe at the thought of what an EMT would think if they had to cut my clothes off in an emergency. Would they treat me different if they saw the scars? What if the wounds were fresh? My worst fear is being hospitalized, particularly for mental illness, and I know it could happen if someone saw what I had done. The last thing I want is to be seen for a "normal" injury and then not allowed to leave because that part of my body was also covered in fresh self-inflicted wounds. We all have to go to a doc eventually for one reason or another, and inevitably you're going to have to expose a scarred surface. For all you know, that day could be tomorrow. Are you prepared for that conversation?

Hope this helps. Here to talk,
Beast

Zero One

Zero One

I have to remember my reason. The voices reminded me of my post to this thread and they have been telling me, " I didn't want to harm my beauty" was my previous reason. They also told me I will have a big wound.