• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does anyone have any advice for people in their 20s?

Ineedhelp2921

Ineedhelp2921

Just curious if anyone had any advice for those in their 20s?

WannaBeLifeLover

WannaBeLifeLover

what kind of advice?

L

Ladyfair

Any advice really, just if you looked back and was like 'I wish someone had told me this'
Yes,. Whatever you want to do with your life, DO IT. Your still young and the years go by so fast. I didn't have the nerve to follow my dream and now I regret it. Believe me I wish I could go back to my twenties but I can't.😔

hicks

hicks

Don't think that people know more than you do. They don't. And often say things with confidence, but are winging it.
Your opinion is just as good as anyone else's.
Depends on your career, but I wish someone had told me back then, not to stay too long in my first job.
In my work, you get valuable experience by being on many different projects.
Enjoy life, and don't deny yourself the things you want. Before long you'll be 50, and wondering where the years went. What good is a pile of money when your health is failing?

J

JeanPierre

Not sure I would have listened but I wish someone had told me how important decisions really are at your age. I guess that sounds trite.
Personally I would say, O how lucky you are! Enjoy everything. You have the world right now and it will never come again. Not just like that.
Best luck ❤✌

JessisMe

JessisMe

If you feel very strong feelings it doesn’t mean that you have to act on them. Many people have strong feelings when they are young and acting on them can bring about poor choices. Guard against impulse. As much as possible before making any decision think things through. Get to know yourself well and your values. You have lots of freedom and opportunities now that won’t be there forever. To take the best advantage of it use self knowledge and practice good judgement. Take measures risks Experiment with things a bit. Start to plan early for your retirement. Make good financial choices. Keep your credit rating good. Practice safe sex. xo, j

T

Tombomb

Looking back would try too keep in touch with friends out of high school . Cause with so much work n family u can grow apart

J

Justwaiting

Mental health difficulties can be connected with nutrition, trauma and relationships or ways of relating that have been detrimental to health.

Find healthy ways of managing emotions and value healthy relationships.

J

jsmacks

Just curious if anyone had any advice for those in their 20s?

Hard to give advice but being assertive helps alot. I think most people either are too aggressive or passive. It's about finding the right balance.

Don't ignore your health physical and/or mental.

M

ManDss

Focus in your job career. 20s is an age where you are starting your adulthood but still young, but is the road to your 30s, where you going to be a conplete adult.

So you could still have some young treats. Of course is not the same for everyone.

StrugglingToForget

StrugglingToForget

Just to try and establish yourself first and make sure you are secure and happy. It's not always possible, but I was just a car crash waiting to happen and I'm leaving my twenties next year.

I came out of a bad relationship quite a few years ago now, and it was almost like I had lost who I was for a period of time, especially the first couple of months. Of course, that's all been and gone now, but it led me to make some not so great decisions and people at one of my last jobs to cast their judgement without knowing full well how my mental health situation currently was back then. You shouldn't have to explain yourself, but I swear some people just don't want to understand you. I'd be lying too if I didn't say it hasn't stopped bugging me all these years later, because it was just such a sad time for me.

I love where I've ended up in the sense of the family that I now have, but I didn't address some of the problems which I wish I had/should have done had back then. Of course, there's still time, but some of it is not so easy, like tattoos (I don't fancy the laser, haha!). I still like tattoos but I wish I hadn't gotten so many, lol. I was just heavily influenced by my closest friends at the time and I really do think that was one of my worst years, especially now that I'm a parent and feel as though I've changed a lot since then. I'm quite a quiet and introverted person - I think I always have been, but that year or two in particular was not so great for me.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Find a career that has a future and put your all into that.

Don't earn money and then spend it all straight away. You're encouraged to do this by a consumer driven society. Save money, it quickly builds up and in time you can do much bigger things with it.

Drink less alcohol.

F

fragrant_violet

Dont lusten to bad advice from old farts