does anyone have a phobia of not waking up?

M

maggo555

I have general anxiety which causes me to catastrophize about alot of different things but the thought of dying in my sleep gives me particularly bad anxiety. and i wont take sleeping pills to help me sleep cuz in my irrational mind they increase the likelihood of it happening. i'm just wondering if anyone else has had this kind of thought before.

vanish

vanish

I've had this thought numerous times in social settings (like parties and BBQs) if I've been drinking. I keep thinking I might die in my sleep if I mix alcohol with my medications, so I skip the meds that day/night. I know in hindsight I shouldn't skip my medications (and shouldn't drink either), but I have massive anxiety about dying in my sleep.

D

Daniel C

I've had the same thoughts in the past. When i first suffered my first psychotic episode i would sometimes drift off to sleep and i swear i had a feeling as though i nearly had died. It was as if an angel had taken over my soul and i would feel a very strange sensation. But since being put on my meds i don't get that feeling anymore.

You're best to stay away from sleeping pills as they can be addictive and can make you feel lousy the nest morning. Try and sleep naturally.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I have that fear sometimes,especially if I'm not feeling well or if I am experiencing any kind of pain when I go to bed.

I usually just lay there and think about it for awhile,worrying,and then I decide that if I do,at least it would only happen once and I wouldn't have to go through it again.Somehow that's comforting to me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Phobia Forum 6