• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Does anyone have a pet cat or cats and do they help you?

SimonB

SimonB

I have two gorgeous tabby cats, with wonderful personalities. They help lift my mood just by being my friends, and fill the gap of loneliness that I've come to know as my depression has destroyed many a friendship.

Any cat owners are they good therapy?

Simon

sallyG

sallyG

I have a cat and his the most adorable little thing going..very loving..likes to be cuddled like a baby..i wouldnt be without him.

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
I've got a ragdoll cat called Annie (well, Ragdolly Anna to give her her fancy name!!) and I don't know what I'd do without her. Every time I sit down she comes up and flops on my lap and if I'm having a bad day and can't get out of bed she doesn't leave my side. I'd definately recommend a cat for people with depression, shes the best therapy I've ever had!!

SimonB

SimonB

I love it when they sit on my lap...

I love it when they come for attention and sit on my lap and give lots of cat affection..they always seem to know the right moment, I do wonder if they sense when your down?

Simon(y)

sallyG

sallyG

my cat diffinately senses when im low...he always comes up for a cuddle..he likes to nuzzle into my neck so i feel his breath on it...its lovely...hes a very affectionate cat anyway...a few eeks ago he was poorly and i thought i was going to lose him..but im glad to sday his much better now..i dont know what i would do without my mutleybear.

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Well at the moment Annie is trying to climb over my laptop to get to my tomato soup!! This cat will eat anything, she even eats chips!! Obviously we don't give her much but she'd eat anything that was put down to her!!

SimonB

SimonB

Mine are playing at the moment...and making me laugh despite the destruction...

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
I'm going to throw a cat amongst the pigeons and say that my puppy border terrier is a reeal sweety and helps me lots. :p

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Haha I think its the same with dogs!! I know loads of people who are terrified of cats for some reason. The only reason I'm more of a cat person is because I couldn't be doing with the dogwalking though sometimes I'd like a wee loan of a dog to get me out the house!! I'd feel less paranoid if I had a dog to go out with. Maybe I should just get wee Annie a leash!!

SimonB

SimonB

Nothing against dogs either...

I like dogs too, but prefer cats...I just find them funny they do humour me and I like the style of friendship...well sometimes!

Unlucky...I'm not sure if Annie will make a good guard cat, the smallest whiff of chips and she'll be gone!

:oops:

A

Ainsworth

i have a cat and she is lovely, shes sat on the sofa on a cushion atm, quite little, never seemed to grow much and is 15, but sooo pretty, black and white, really friendly :love:

L

Lola

I'm the same with my dogs. Lola is 3 and she can be a bit aloof but Pablo is only 6 months and he is so cuddley. He is by my side most of the time, when he wants a cuddle he sits on my knee with his front paws on my shoulders and leans in to me. They also give me a reason to get out of the house, I feel too guilty if they miss their walk.

There is a charity called Pets as Therapy where you can register your pet with them and they have a list of places you can take them to meet others, like the hospital,old folks homes or schools for children with special needs. I looked into signing Lola and Pablo up but I don't think my nerves would be able to handle it. It's something I hope to do when I'm feeling better about myself.

M

mad as a hatter

i have a 6yr old black and white border collie she,s a dog with attitude that 1

Y

YellowBrickRoad

I have two lovely little men called Topcat and Benny who are nearly 8 months old. Although they are not the most loving cats in the world along with my puppy Murphy and partner they are my boys, they are like children to me and I adore them. :love: