• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does anyone have a cat or a dog?

L

Last Exile

If so, what are your experiences with it in relation to your depression?

I feel so utterly alone with zero support network, but I'm afraid to even bring a pet into my life because I'm afraid that I would make its life miserable. Rest assured, I would never physically hurt anyone or anything, but I'm deathly afraid of being a burden to it because of how messed up I am. I've heard many people say animals like cats and dogs are really in tuned with the owner's emotional state, if that's the case, what gives me the right to foist my shitiness onto an animal? I'm 99.9% certain that I do not want to have children because of this very reason and I feel like I'm just trying to do a cop out by seeking unconditional love from an animal instead of a baby, both of which seem rather selfish to me.

What's even more frightening to me is that I'm afraid a pet will actually give me unconditional love and acceptance, at which point I'll completely lose hope on people and on trying to fix myself. And I'll just end up with 50 cats and no one will find me until they smell my decomposing body being eaten by the starving animals.

Am I crazy for thinking and feeling this way?

formerlymadjon

formerlymadjon

i have a dog and 5 cats dont really know why but theyre here,. .the youngest one Taz, his nicknames little mate cos he seems to know when im feeling crappy,. .he comes to me and rubs his head on me

FelineVintage

FelineVintage

I have three cats and they definitely help me to keep going and they're very in tune with me, particularly Chilli. I know I'm going into a bad period when she won't leave my side and starts obsessively licking my arms.

They bring me massive comfort and a reason to do at least something every day as they need fed, water bowl topped and litter trays scooped. It is a massive commitment though and not a decision to be taken lightly. I rent privately in London and it's very difficult finding somewhere that takes pets but I would never move without them, no matter how hard. I feed them high quality food which isn't the cheap option and then there's vets bills as and when.

I wouldn't be without them though, they are my lifeline.

AndyfromScotland

AndyfromScotland

I've got two Staffordshire bull terriers. They have both been a great help to my mental health. Before I had them I would sit in the house for days, doing next to nothing. Now I take them out around 4 times a day and sometimes the fresh air can be beneficial.

Rowan

Rowan

I have cats and dogs and wouldn't be without them.:love: Most are rescues so it makes me feel better that I saved them from a horrible life.

It is a big commitment though as FelineVintage said.

W

white-witch

I have two little dogs. A yorkie/pom I have had since he was a pup, so 6 years now and a Shih Tzu that I got from a rescue just before Christmas. So I have Peanut and Olly. Olly, the little rescue dog, is so, so loving and will come for cuddles throughout the day and evening. He is the most loving, cuddly dog I have ever had the pleasure to meet. Peanut is also very cute, but he is a very independent little soul and will only give cuddles when he feels like it, so not often...lol.

Olly needs his little face washing each day, due to his eyes and also food around his muzzle. So even on the days I do not wash my own face, Olly is always washed. They are my focus, my reason for getting up. I will even go to get food for them when I cannot be bothered to get food for myself.

I would not be without them, they are my 'earth angels'!

Open your heart and your home to a little pet, The love and loyalty you will receive in return will never be able to be measured!

I prefer dogs to people. There is nothing wrong with that. I would much rather sleep with my dogs than some of the men I have slept with in the past;)

Take care xxx:hug:

V

Vickyx25

When I was clinically depressed and when I still lived all alone in a strange city, I bought a smooth coated Brussells Griffon. He still lives with me and I love him dearly, but I have never, for one moment, thought of him as a substitute for a baby or a human friend. I'm sure that won't happen to you either. I'd advise you to get a dog, rather than a cat, cats are terribly self-involved creatures (the Grumpy Cat meme says it all hehe). I don't really know your situation, but if you don't have a support network (I assume you mean family and friends), a dog would be a good way to start. Dogs have been our companions for tens of thousands years, they kept us warm in winter and they guarded us, so getting one could actually help you focus on other things. Having someone to take care of is really comforting. In my experience, it actually easies the burden of depression. Doesn't help get rid of it, mind you, but it's like a hot towel wrapped round your head when you're having a migraine or something - the migraine won't go away, but it easies the pain a little. And, I'd like to add this one thing: Never give up the hope. Anything can happen. I actually know a woman who was depressed for 13 years. Now she has a family of her own, a job - the works. 5 years ago the odds for that were astronomical.

catkin

catkin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I live for my cat, he is my reason. I got him from a rescue, and feel he has rescued me. I also walk my parents' dog, she is my soulmate and understands. Humans just don't get it. I love them both so much it hurts, never experienced that with humans.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
My parents Dog always knows how I am feeling and will just sit on me and cuddle me when I see him and I'm feeling down but the one thing that proved to me that they in tune to your emotions is when my mum was at home after having an operation.

She couldn't do anything physically so literally had to veg out on the sofa for a few weeks. Max is a very hyper Cocker Spaniel but all he would do when it was just him and my mum at home is sit next to her with one paw on her leg. He wouldn't even eat or drink until someone came home. I used to (when I worked days) come home on my lunch breaks to walk him and he would see me, move his paw slowly of my mum, jump down very slowly in case he hurt her and then go crazy as he usually is. You would see that every time he would be near where my mum is he would just stop and slowly walk past her and then as soon as he was past her he would be hyper again.

The moment I went out the door to go back to work he would jump back up, sit next to her and put his paw back on her leg. Because we were concerned he wasn't eating and drink we put his food on the seat and a bowl of water on a coffee table in his reach but he still wouldn't touch it.

pepecat

pepecat

We have two cats and they do make me laugh. I woudln't be without them. One of them is definitely 'my' cat (or maybe i'm 'his' owner) and he always tries to wake me up in the morning and sits on my lap sometimes.

We used to have three cats - one was a sort of 'cast off' from a friend of ours; she sent this cat round for a six week visit when i was ill..... and three years later the cat was still with us. When i was ill, she was great - having something outside of myself to look after, even if it was just putting some food in a bowl, was good, and the cat used to love sitting on my lap, so during the endless hours on the sofa staring at nothing i at least had some company purring away on top of me. In a weird way, it made me feel a bit less alone, and kinda connected to 'real life' in some way, even though my brain had gone off on another planet.

W

white-witch

I must add the amusement from watching your pets antics is also priceless. Even watching my dog backing away from a rain beetle in the garden had me in hysterics. He would move towards it and try to 'paw it' it would than move and he would go shooting backwards:LOL: When he was a pup the first time he walked in snow was hilarious he was trying so hard to keep at least one paw off the snowy ground. So he ended up doing this rather crazy little 'snow dance':LOL: I have lost count of the times when I have been at my very lowest that my dogs have made me laugh throughout my life!

The dog 'head tilt' is also one of my favourites. It is to me like they are trying so very hard to understand what you are saying to them. They of course 'know' certain words like 'walkies' din-dins' 'widdly wees' and the like, but it is when you are 'telling them something' that the 'head-tilt' is in full swing! I talk to my dogs endlessly.

My Peanut was with me during the most severe depressions I have experienced. He stayed beside me at all times and would come and nudge me with his nose from time to time. Almost like he was 'checking on me'. I spent so long in bed, but always could get up to let him out, feed him and make sure he had fresh water and make a very hard journey, at least once a week, to the nearest store for his food. He needed me, but I needed him so, so much more!

I read somewhere today a saying that said ' Some of my best friends have never said a word to me'. That for me is the real truth!

Take care xxx:hug:

Mayfair

Mayfair

I picked my last 2 cats out of the shelter - rather than a kitten that could be an annoying cat when older.

Both cats picked me rather than me them, (or maybe it was mutual).

They're both now long gone. I'm toying with the idea of more, but they don't live long enough. And though I'm no longer religious, and completely understand death, I find it hard to deal with the loss.

People say remember the good times (about people and pets and other things) but, that's just a cop out (or at least makes no sense to me)

Falling Sky

Falling Sky

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I grew up with loads of pets. My family member (that I live with) has a cat and she's a pain in the arse most of the time !! I do what I can to make her happy, even given her my fav fluffy blanket to sleep on at the end of my bed, but she mostly runs rings round me and is a pest.

If you are gonna get one, then mayfair is right, rescue ones are best and have more personality imo. But I would say that you have to be prepared to look after them because, other than being affectionate to you, they don't look after you!! xxxx

Prospector

Prospector

If you're afraid of unconditional then a cat is the way to go. :) Wont have anything to worry about here. A dog would take more of your attention, but will give you more love back, IMO. I've had both and love them both equally. I think a pet would bright your mood, and might make you feel like making firends again. Just a thought.