• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

does anyone get GOOD support?

mrlaurel

mrlaurel

I know we can all be very negative at times, and no one more so than me... I'm a grumpy bugga.

But I never hear anyone say anything about good support from NHS services, family etc.

what could be offered to you to help more?

I want to get involved with something like Mind or Rethink in the near future if my health stays where it is right now....

But what could I give that would make peoples life better to live?

stan

C

Celidwen

How about what you give on here? You know I love reading your posts. You're a genuinely supportive, funny, lovely guy Stan. What more do you need to offer? XXXXXX

C

Celidwen

PS How about volunteering to assist in running a support group? XXXXXX

speckles

speckles

I guess as a culture we always voice criticisms more easily than things that are done well, partly because when things are done well we don't really notice because they are meant to be and so we forget to tell people. I remember once sending an email to my psychiatrist to thank them to coming to support me in hospital through some difficult treatment when he didn't have to, so he knew I didn't just take it for granted.

I guess too the people who are getting effective support may not be looking for a forum to spill their feelings so we don't know about those people. Also most people experience both good and bad treatment and support it isn't one or the other, not least because some people are really good at there jobs and do them well, other people are shockingly bad just like people employed in all sectors. It is also of course effected by money, stigma and changes that continual changes in what they think is effective for treatment.

C

Celtic Class

Give your understanding - I know little but please people demonstrate you actually understand - that this is not just about my mood - my thoughts, feelings n behaviours are also crippled sometimes. Stan - can I suggest - become a peoples advocate - way to go

S

suzy

I know we can all be very negative at times, and no one more so than me... I'm a grumpy bugga.

But I never hear anyone say anything about good support from NHS services, family etc.

what could be offered to you to help more?

I want to get involved with something like Mind or Rethink in the near future if my health stays where it is right now....

But what could I give that would make peoples life better to live?

stan
huh huuhh all I have ever received has been good treatment. All the nurses/ docs who took care of me when ill were wonderful, one nurse true story she even bought me haribo.

During recovery, wonderful support workers, really friendly, one very bubbly lady too who I remember in particular, my CPN I did not like her at the start but she was great!

But yeah in my experience all the people I have met through treatment and recovery were amazing, I guess even the p.docs alright. So I thought I had best put in my part, there are good people out there in the services! True a lot is down to your location and I think my area is meant to be very good.

calypso

calypso

Admin
I have had fairly good treatment. I have just been released from mental hospital after 4 months, and the staff were nothing but good. Initially, I was not given enough support in the community and ended back in pretty fast, but this time, I have my care co-ordinator, a therapy, an OT and the Crisis Team. But I am also going to peer support groups which are possibly better than the other things. I love the name of one which is for people who have got out of hospital - its called "The Escape Committee" LOL.

I think, as you have said Stan, its about getting involved in things in your community and seeing where they lead you. xx

megirl

megirl

Hi Stan,

hey yeh I am lucky to have had some amazing support,
am scared once they decide to discharge me.
It is hard they have been part of my life for over 3 years now,
See what happens guess lucky where I live in nz

T

TOONAFISH

I think mostly I receive v good treatment. Once i actually got to the top of the list to see a psychiatrist, I was then given a cpn whom I saw twice a week for 6 years, and more if I needed it. I also got a support worker to help me with Erin when she was a baby. I have been invited and attended many courses including a wellness recovery action plan, walking group, anger management and such like. My close family and friends have also been very supportive, and even wonder of wonders, Ray's parents have started being more supportive.

The only help I find I do not receive, is help to get back into some sort of employment or studying. The just interview and say yay or nay to receiving benefits, which in my opinion is terrible.

I feel I get a lot more support up here in Scotland than many of you do down in England? Don't know if that is just different areas have different systems etc.

I feel blessed. x