• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does anyone find it hard to express their feelings.

J

jsmacks

I find it really hard to express my emotions and have been keeping stuff repressed in me for years. I'm not even sure if I know what I feel anymore. I feel like a zombie or something.

2Much2Feel

Hey, I'm sorry. I feel like I'm so overreactive that it's quite the opposite, too caught up in my emotions. Are you on any meds?

J

jsmacks

Hey, I'm sorry. I feel like I'm so overreactive that it's quite the opposite, too caught up in my emotions. Are you on any meds?

No. I never taken meds. My doctor was going to prescribe me some but I said I would try to keep trying the therapy route.

I figure I will try therapy alone for awhile to see how that works.

2Much2Feel

OK, so that's not the cause it sounds like. Do you feel like your therapist is helping with it at all?

Z

ZechariahElijah

No. I never taken meds. My doctor was going to prescribe me some but I said I would try to keep trying the therapy route.
Have you found therapy to be helpful in enabling you to express yourself better?

2Much2Feel

I just started. I have been doing baby steps of trying to speak my mind. I really don't know. Maybe.
Well it def takes time to get used to the setting of therapy and to the person you're supposed to open your head to, a complete stranger. But hopefully as ZachariahElijah said, it will help you to get more used to expressing them over time. It likely won't happen really quickly, but with time and if you bring up this exact issue to your therapist, he or she can hopefully find some "hands on" exercises to learn how to express what's going on in your head, what you're so used to repressing. If you're that used to keeping it inside, some exercises and work w the therapist likely will help. Also, just opening up here on this forum as practice anonymously may be a good start as well?

Z

ZechariahElijah

I just started. I have been doing baby steps of trying to speak my mind. I really don't know. Maybe.
It sounds like you are taking the right steps! Give it time. Keep it up! And don’t forget to show yourself some grace!

I think of myself as being good at expressing myself, but my depression makes it really hard sometimes. I end up pulling away and holding it all in. I think counseling has helped me express better.

S

Sugaree

Hi and welcome! When I am depressed I also hold in my emotions. Sometimes I feel like I don’t even have any thoughts. I am on antidepressant. I went for therapy which really helped me learn to cope with it. Journaling is one way. This site is great for expressing yourself and seeing how others are coping.

J

JC938

Hi,

Don't over complicate it, there are only 3 kinds of feelings - pleasant, painful and neutral.

J

jsmacks

Hi,

Don't over complicate it, there are only 3 kinds of feelings - pleasant, painful and neutral.

I think I stay from neutral to neutral-painful alot.

I do get jolts of neutral-pleasant via jokes or something.

Energy level is usually pretty low.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I have trouble expressing emotions. I’m not sure it’s anything therapy can help with. It seems more how you are wired or maybe a temperamental thing. Therapy could help I guess. But if it doesn’t dont think it’s a personal failing on your part. It just might be the way you are. xo, j

Z

ZechariahElijah

I have trouble expressing emotions. I’m not sure it’s anything therapy can help with. It seems more how you are wired or maybe a temperamental thing. Therapy could help I guess. But if it doesn’t dont think it’s a personal failing on your part. It just might be the way you are. xo, j
That’s a good point! We all have different personalities and every personality is valuable. I’m talkative and I taught my wife to talk a little more. She is naturally quiet and taught me the value of silence and how to be a better listener.