• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does anyone feel they never achieved anything?

D

Destination Moon

I was having a bad time last year with being put in another mandatory work programme and people trying to push me into jobs I didn't want. I felt that these jobs were dead end and wouldn't do anything for me. So I had to leave as I couldn't take it anymore due to personal issues I have going on. Does anyone feel they have have goels or ambitions they could achieve but haven't? Is the lockdown making you think about what you could do about it? Or making you take action on your ambitions?

vanish

vanish

Hey Destination Moon, I used to think that way, especially when I was comparing myself to the people I went to high school with. Everyone from my select circle of friends are highly successful and are also parents. I feel like I didn't achieve anywhere near the success they have, both professionally and personally.
However, I look back and I've been successful with my studies since quitting work in 2009. I've spent the last ten years studying off and on and have been racking up the qualifications quietly. Once I finish my university degree, I'd like to return to work in a job I (hopefully) love and be once again successful. To do this, I have to achieve stability in my life and with the topsy turvy nature of mental illness at times, this is no mean feat.
Success and achievement, I learned, shouldn't be graded by using others as a benchmark.

Antimatter

Antimatter

Comparing and downgrading yourself is a standard, yet very unhelpful and unhealthy trait of depressive and anxious conditions. We all do it to some degree, daily for me.

I try and deal with it by understanding that:
*.worrying about it won't help
*.you are achieving by managing illness
*.caring of nature and others
*.consider hurdles overcome
*.understand everyone messes up
*.we all have a place.
*.play life as a journey, not competition
List goes on, try and love yourself x

P

Princess Zelda

Yes all the time. I always compare myself to others. It gets really bad that I even become jealous of other people. I realize it isn't good and I'm trying to change this about myself. It's just not easy when I know I'm not really improving in life. Right now, I'm trying to focus on my education again. But I don't really have plans for my life.
I try to remind myself to look at others for inspiration instead of comparing myself to them. I try to learn from others now instead of being jealous of them.

A

aisha23

I don't think I've acheeved anything of value- nothing that's going to help me in life like qualifications etc

and I have missed out a lot of things people my age have all ready done
I know how you feel

Antimatter

Antimatter

I don't think I've acheeved anything of value- nothing that's going to help me in life like qualifications etc

and I have missed out a lot of things people my age have all ready done
I know how you feel
I expect you have achieved more than you give yourself credit for. You are ill remember, dealing with that id a huge achievement itself x

A

aisha23

I expect you have achieved more than you give yourself credit for. You are ill remember, dealing with that id a huge achievement itself x

thanks

suppose that's something, yet I still don't have anything to show for my life

like: have you ever just sat their and thought, if someone asked you what is your proudest moment, what have you done in your life, what would you tell them?

I have nothing like that..

F

Fancyharm

You know, some people's lives are the way they are. Just what the universe dishes out.

How come some people are in a position to achieve academically and others aren't? Just the cards you are dealt, not necessarily 'your lack of achievement' when there was nothing put in front of you to achieve. Or even if you failed, it just wasn't right for you.

Acceptance is the key, and it's played a huge part in me getting over things.

I think as long as you make the best of things, that's the main thing. Ok, so you haven't got a 'mega' qualification, but you've made the best of today, you've picked that rubbish up.that someone had just dropped outside, you've tidied your garden, your house, car etc.

That's what makes a difference for me, I've made the best of things.

S

SadRainbow

Most people would probably look at me and think I'm haven't achieved much at all but I don't really care. I have achieved things that matter to me, and despite my poor mental health. It would have been nice to have managed more but it's okay.

Bod

Bod

The biggest thing I have ever achieved is sorting my life out, and today I am a far better person for it too.

A

AppleJacks999

The last time I achieved anything that didn't have anything to do with relationships or family relations, was a few trophies for outstanding music and english, and future business leaders yada yada when I was 11 and 12 years old...lol

I certainly turned out disappointing considering my family is all Ivy League lol But at least I can say my biggest achievement was being the family disappointment...not married and no career, with a GED and can't finish community college lol

A

AppleJacks999

I didn't mean that to sound negative...I was being sarcastic.

I am kinda a loser though.:clap:

T

turnitoffandonagain_again

The contrast between all the (anxiety-ridden) plans and hopes I had, as an adolescent particularly, and the reality of my life is almost unbearable when I think about it.

Pretty much NOTHING I hoped to do in life came to pass. I've spent most of it just struggling with painful and debilitating physical symptoms, and essentially killing time because I couldn't get close to doing the things I actually wanted to do. And every time I tried to make a fresh start the health problems just got worse.
My only ambition left is to try and find an explanation for those problems.

A

Anxietyhell

I feel that my various anxiety issues, some associated with physical too - and lack of confidence and low self esteem etc has severely affected my life in every aspect... I often sit and ponder, had I been different, would my life feel so much more fulfilled and successful now.. Would I have attracted better / nicer people, would I have been able to carve out a career and felt some sense of achievement etc etc... If only!

MissPink

MissPink

The last time I achieved anything that didn't have anything to do with relationships or family relations, was a few trophies for outstanding music and english, and future business leaders yada yada when I was 11 and 12 years old...lol

I certainly turned out disappointing considering my family is all Ivy League lol But at least I can say my biggest achievement was being the family disappointment...not married and no career, with a GED and can't finish community college lol
Never put yourself down or talk negative about things you haven't done in your life, life shouldn't be about competition of what other people have done e.g got married before you, had the kids etc.

You just have to look at it this way, your time hasn't come for those things to happen or maybe you didn't persue them because they were not the right path for you to take maybe?

Find something that you enjoy and see if you can make a business out of it even if it's a hobby! x