• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does anyone feel they never achieved anything?

D

Destination Moon

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I was having a bad time last year with being put in another mandatory work programme and people trying to push me into jobs I didn't want. I felt that these jobs were dead end and wouldn't do anything for me. So I had to leave as I couldn't take it anymore due to personal issues I have going on. Does anyone feel they have have goels or ambitions they could achieve but haven't? Is the lockdown making you think about what you could do about it? Or making you take action on your ambitions?

vanish

vanish

Staff Member on Leave
Hey Destination Moon, I used to think that way, especially when I was comparing myself to the people I went to high school with. Everyone from my select circle of friends are highly successful and are also parents. I feel like I didn't achieve anywhere near the success they have, both professionally and personally.
However, I look back and I've been successful with my studies since quitting work in 2009. I've spent the last ten years studying off and on and have been racking up the qualifications quietly. Once I finish my university degree, I'd like to return to work in a job I (hopefully) love and be once again successful. To do this, I have to achieve stability in my life and with the topsy turvy nature of mental illness at times, this is no mean feat.
Success and achievement, I learned, shouldn't be graded by using others as a benchmark.

Antimatter

Antimatter

Comparing and downgrading yourself is a standard, yet very unhelpful and unhealthy trait of depressive and anxious conditions. We all do it to some degree, daily for me.

I try and deal with it by understanding that:
*.worrying about it won't help
*.you are achieving by managing illness
*.caring of nature and others
*.consider hurdles overcome
*.understand everyone messes up
*.we all have a place.
*.play life as a journey, not competition
List goes on, try and love yourself x

P

Princess Zelda

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yes all the time. I always compare myself to others. It gets really bad that I even become jealous of other people. I realize it isn't good and I'm trying to change this about myself. It's just not easy when I know I'm not really improving in life. Right now, I'm trying to focus on my education again. But I don't really have plans for my life.
I try to remind myself to look at others for inspiration instead of comparing myself to them. I try to learn from others now instead of being jealous of them.

A

aisha23

I don't think I've acheeved anything of value- nothing that's going to help me in life like qualifications etc

and I have missed out a lot of things people my age have all ready done
I know how you feel

Antimatter

Antimatter

I don't think I've acheeved anything of value- nothing that's going to help me in life like qualifications etc

and I have missed out a lot of things people my age have all ready done
I know how you feel
I expect you have achieved more than you give yourself credit for. You are ill remember, dealing with that id a huge achievement itself x

A

aisha23

I expect you have achieved more than you give yourself credit for. You are ill remember, dealing with that id a huge achievement itself x

thanks

suppose that's something, yet I still don't have anything to show for my life

like: have you ever just sat their and thought, if someone asked you what is your proudest moment, what have you done in your life, what would you tell them?

I have nothing like that..