• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Does anyone feel like ya cant cry cause you feel weak?

P

Pku minx

Do you ever feel like no matter how sad or run down or stressed etc ya cant cry cause ppl rely on you as the strong person that they can cry too but if you gave in to crying for any reason you feel such a weak person.

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I know in the past it was seen as weak to cry but I like to think people feel differently about it now. Crying can help a person to release emotions rather then keep them in. By stopping ourselves from crying we can end up hurting ourselves as all the pain stays inside us. If you want to cry then please allow yourself the chance. Crying is a natural human express and it is not a sign of weakness.

P

Pku minx

I know in the past it was seen as weak to cry but I like to think people feel differently about it now. Crying can help a person to release emotions rather then keep them in. By stopping ourselves from crying we can end up hurting ourselves as all the pain stays inside us. If you want to cry then please allow yourself the chance. Crying is a natural human express and it is not a sign of weakness.
Thank you i find myself stopping myself from crying because i feel like my problems are nothing its like iv forgotten it sounds strange but i really do.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Yes. I'm working on re-learning how to cry again because I think it's a healthier way to vacate emotions. Unfortunately, in my life I've been harassed for crying so instead I learned to yell and get physical which is worse. When I reflect on why this happend, I believe it is because my male role models and peers exemplified which emotions men are supposed to express and which are considered weak.

Understanding this has helped me, I don't have to internalize these lessons anymore and can undo the socialization with effort.

P

Pku minx

Thats great im happy for you wish you well with the re-learning 😊 i think i struggle to cry because when i do its like whats the point cause no one give a monkeys its like why do i bother and its been like that for months now so its hard 😔 i get same and hurt but i myself prefer to lash out mainly throw things or just walk away id rarther hurt myself then other shouting is good least im not crying.

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The point could be, because you want to. It does not have to be for other people. Crying sounds much healthier then throwing things. Maybe you have been brought up that it is wrong to cry. I have too. I was always shouted at for crying. It is hard to tell ourselves we can cry.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

For emotional release, not to manipulate others--though as children we leaned use it because we have no power.

These days, I cry out of frustration, powerlessness or helplessness more than sadness. I think of it as a pressure-release for my feelings. Crying is natural, built-in to us. But I have practice it.

P

Pku minx

The point could be, because you want to. It does not have to be for other people. Crying sounds much healthier then throwing things. Maybe you have been brought up that it is wrong to cry. I have too. I was always shouted at for crying. It is hard to tell ourselves we can cry.
I think its more cause when i have cried infront of my partner i one person that thourt would accually care when i was upset or hurt would hug me and tell me evering will be ok instead of saying thinks like theres nothing wrong with me etc i think whats the point and its been like itfor a while iv never cried happy tears always sad tears but now i struggle

A

always thirsty

omg i was just thinking about how i would LOVE to cry today or yesterday. yes i am a grown ass man, but i do remember the cathartic feeling you can get from crying. it's theraputic. i haven't done it in so long but i remember the feeling and i feel like it could be a nice jumpstart, problem is you can't fake it. i'm no leonardo di caprio and besides thats fake crying wouldn't do the same thing 😂 i would LOVE to have a full body cry into my pillow. that would FEEL EXCELLENT!!!

am i weird for wanting this?

P

Pku minx

omg i was just thinking about how i would LOVE to cry today or yesterday. yes i am a grown ass man, but i do remember the cathartic feeling you can get from crying. it's theraputic. i haven't done it in so long but i remember the feeling and i feel like it could be a nice jumpstart, problem is you can't fake it. i'm no leonardo di caprio and besides thats fake crying wouldn't do the same thing 😂 i would LOVE to have a full body cry into my pillow. that would FEEL EXCELLENT!!!

am i weird for wanting this?
No not at all i feel like a really long hard cry would do me the world of good too it has served me well in the past always felt loads better after its defo goid release from time to time i miss it tbh.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

I was feeling very angry and powerless today. So I watched a retrospective documentary and it really moved me. I realized I might be able to weep if I didn't hold back the feelings, so I let it go. Afterwards, I felt more calm than I have in days. Tears are for anger as well as sadness, I think.

P

Pku minx

I was feeling very angry and powerless today. So I watched a retrospective documentary and it really moved me. I realized I might be able to weep if I didn't hold back the feelings, so I let it go. Afterwards, I felt more calm than I have in days. Tears are for anger as well as sadness, I think.
Yeah i agree i use to cry when im very angry and id see black not red like most im not entirely sure as to why that is but its good enough for me but im quick at forgiveness sometimes depends what it is im forgiving for but sadness i see tears as a weakness now i feel like a bitch for saying that but i really dont mean it in that context if you get me.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

i feel like a bitch for saying that but i really dont mean it in that context if you get me
I think I get you. Although the context for me is that I've been fed a false story for much of my life about how men don't cry--it was never my story and it doesn't fit me. I'm ready and determined to let it go. So I've set out to replace that false narrative with a truth that actually resonates with me. Undoing years of socialization is taking time and effort, though.

What does it mean to be a man who cries? The old narrative leaps to respond. The new narrative: it means I'm emotionally present, emotionally strong and unafraid of my feelings.

P

Pku minx

Im quiet old fashioned i beleive that any man that cries is a real man, men that dont cry have no feelings.

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It must have really hurt for your partner to dismiss you when you cried. Maybe you could cry in private if you felt like crying.