• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Does anyone else struggle with shopping compulsions?

magich8ball

magich8ball

I'm a new poster, just made an account to hopefully read other people who understand me.
I have talked to my therapist a little..but I struggle a lot with shopping compulsions. For instance, when I see something I saw on someone else online (let's say, someone on instagram was wearing a pair of pink socks and I thought they were cute) I will obsessively think about them if it's something I know I can find discounted. I used to use finding discounted stuff as something as a "fun" game to help my friends out, but now it's become a gateway into me feeling like I /have/ to buy it because of the discount.

I am better about it now, in that my closet of clothes I don't wear has grown to the point where it's unmanageable for my other compulsions (folding clothes and cleaning) so I try to think very hard about needs vs. wants but it's still really difficult.

I have this cycle where I go from seeing something --> feeling like I /need/ the item ---> feeling an intense period of urgency as though I need to buy it or ""else"" --> buying the item and feeling the urge fulfilled --> immediately feeling a massive amount of guilt for knowing that I am adding to the piles of stuff I already have ---> subsequently going back into a low point and needing something to fixate on to satiate me ---> usually ending up scrolling on a website where I find something that I feel will complete me and the cycle starts again

But I guess it's also hard because even in trying to be better about my shopping (which I feel like I am getting better and my partner says I am) I still feel this nausea even when I choose to get things to treat myself or even buy things I actually need. I just hate how much guilt and self deprecation my OCD has me complicit in against myself...

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

u have shopping compulsion? buy me some things lol

shopping does raise serotonin. same with gambling. so people get hooked on some of these things for that serotonin

J

JeanPierre

I learned one is just trying to fill a hole....like eating, drinking, drugs, etc.
Do you think mindfulness / zen study might help?
If you do not grow up and face this, you will lose everything eventually. I've seen it.
Best luck.

alloy

alloy

I have major shopping compulsions I'm trying to get a grip on.

I use a trick I've figured out.

If it's something related to any kind of collection, I think of my favorite thing in that collection and how this new thing relates to it. I consider that if I do buy it, where would it fall among my favorites? If I stop and think, sometimes I feel like it might be my 4th or 5th favorite in that collection and I have a better idea of how I really feel about it.

Often that thrill of finding something at the best price is so exciting that once I have found it, I feel committed to the purchase. Like I fought for it, so I should buy it. But it can also help to sleep on it and see if I still want to buy it, I think I make better purchasing decisions with some sleep between me and the excitement of searching and researching for the perfect way to get soemthing.