• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

does anyone else struggle to eat when ill?

K

Kate31

Picked up a bug and feel rufff...my throat is swollen so i am having to have high cals fluids to replace food...yet i still feel really guilty like i'm not doing the right think as i'm not eating my meal plan...

i hate changing anything at all so even tho i know swallowing is hard it still feels wrong to replace food with fluids.... don't know if it's just me or does anyone else struggle with recovery when physically ill?

also got therapy today but don't want to pass bug on to my therapist for christmas... sorry am in ramble-self-pity-mode... :(:unsure:

S

*Sapphire*

I can understand your fear of replacing food with fluids when you are ill. It is a worry to me when I have to do that as I fear it is going to be a step backwards, that if I get too used to just fluids will it start the cycle of food avoidance and then eventually fluid avoidance and so on.

I guess for me the only thing I found is that if I have stuck to plan in the past when I start to feel better I start to feel hungry again and can get back on it. Sometimes going back to eating again brings back some guilt feelings but I recognise that this will lessen when I get back into my meal plan routine again.

I try not to worry about it too much, however I stay aware of possible signals that things might be going backwards.

It might be an idea to speak to your therapist about it, if you haven't already and come up with a plan for when you do feel more able to eat again x

K

Kate31

Thanks

:D
Thanks very much for your advice - i've decided to get back on the menu plan immediately (with afternoon snack) as my throat is a bit better and i know the longer i leave it the harder it'll become... You're absolutely right re hunger returning when you feel better & i see my psych. nxt weds so can run through any difficulties..

thanks again - i feel a lot less panicky about it (y)

take care x

S

*Sapphire*

I'm pleased for you :) This time of year is especially difficult for those suffering with EDs, try to take care of yourself as much as you can :hug: