• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does anyone else have these thoughts?

E

Elisante

I constantly have intrusive thoughts that become worse at nighttime. Every time I do something or make a decision my mind keeps asking me why I did what I did. I feel like I have to give strong reasons for the simplest things. For example I won't let myself relax until I find a valid argument for why I drunk milk instead of water. I also have intrusive thoughts about my personality. I don't have reasons for having the personality that I have therefore my mind doesn't stop questioning me. But the worst thing is the doubt I have about my core beliefs. I have reasons for those but I keep doubting them out of nowhere. And it's not as simple as changing an opinion. When I give reasons for one of them I immediately begin to doubt another one. In conclusion my mind doesn't allow me to make decisions, have a personality and have opinions. I feel like the only way to avoid this is lay in bed all day and do absolutely nothing. I don't know how to explain it better.

G

Grubelnsucht

Yes, it can be like a hammer sometimes - those spikes of fear you get when you think of that one thing. And it comes back again and again until it moves on to something else or picks up another one. Some of us have compulsions that make them go away for a little bit, but those compulsions - like knocking on wood or various other things- actually make things worse in the long run.
The only thing you can do is seek help - find someone such as a therapist who works with CBT. It’s hard but it actually does help. In time, talk to your therapist and doctor about medications. They really do help some people. Good luck to you and I wish you peace!

E

Elisante

Yes, it can be like a hammer sometimes - those spikes of fear you get when you think of that one thing. And it comes back again and again until it moves on to something else or picks up another one. Some of us have compulsions that make them go away for a little bit, but those compulsions - like knocking on wood or pulling out hair- actually make things worse in the long run.
The only thing you can do is seek help - find someone such as a therapist who works with CBT. It’s hard but it actually does help. In time, talk to your therapist and doctor about medications. They really do help some people. Good luck to you and I wish you peace!
Thank you for the answer, and that's exactly how I feel! Even talking about it and knowing it's not just me takes a huge burden off my shoulders! And yeah, I also think it's time for me to get back to therapy :sorry:.

G

Grubelnsucht

Thank you for the answer, and that's exactly how I feel! Even talking about it and knowing it's not just me takes a huge burden off my shoulders! And yeah, I also think it's time for me to get back to therapy :sorry:.
Good! Don’t suffer alone. This is all OCD and not you. You are very brave for going to therapy. And when OCD starts to question you about that say “[email protected]$&k you OCD! Seriously, [email protected]&!k you. You are a terd and I need therapy.”
Sorry for the profanity. But those exact words really help me.