• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does anyone else have little to no emotion?

R

rescuerandy

I have had depression on and off for a few years. My problem just stems from feeling no emotion. I am a blank page all the time. I feel no love for my boyfriend, friends or family. I never enjoy anything, I never desire anything. I'm never even sad! I have NO emotion. I don't really care (because I have no emotion) but I don't necessarily want to be this way. I've kinda been like this my whole life, I just want answers. Alexithymia and Anhedonia was an option but it doesn't completely cover everything in my aspect. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Shelter_Skelter

Shelter_Skelter

I can relate to a lot of that. It kills me when I feel like this. This is a symptom of depression that bothers me more than other. It doesn't happen with every bout of depression I have to endure but when it does, it is crushing. I have always been highly sensitive and in touch with my emotions. Thinking of anything bad happening to my family makes me react, well, like most others would I suppose. Occasionally though, when I am in the midst of depression, I feel nothing. It is a scary feeling.

Recently my Dad was in hospital for a triple heart bypass (he is now on the mend). I was terrified that it would coincide with one of these spells. I wanted to FEEL. If he was ok, I wanted to feel extreme relief and joy. If the worst happened, I wanted to feel pain, anger and sorrow. Being swallowed up with negative emotions is hard but it's still FEELING. Feeling nothing is so much worse. Life hits you with good and bad and I want to feel it all.

N

notrealname

I have had depression on and off for a few years. My problem just stems from feeling no emotion. I am a blank page all the time. I feel no love for my boyfriend, friends or family. I never enjoy anything, I never desire anything. I'm never even sad! I have NO emotion. I don't really care (because I have no emotion) but I don't necessarily want to be this way. I've kinda been like this my whole life, I just want answers. Alexithymia and Anhedonia was an option but it doesn't completely cover everything in my aspect. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Not to the same severity but yes I do have that experience. I don't feel things for people and often feel a kind of "whatever" to everything. I just don't really care. Doesn't seem important. So I get that.

Answer may be that you do have emotions, you've just taught yourself how to ignore them, and you've got so good at it you don't even notice. When I was first taught how to find emotions I was surprised by how many I felt. Best thing to do imo is to seek some therapy that is specifically emotion-focused - so talking therapies rather than practical ones. There are exercises you can do to connect with your emotional side. Life is fairly unsatisfying when you don't care.