• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Does anyone else get this?

D

Dgjn12345

Hi all, I just want to see if anyone else on here gets similar symptoms to me; I’ve been living with GAD for around 20 years now and it’s been more ups than downs, thankfully, but I’m ready to try and knock it on the head, once and for all.
I’ve read many articles that say the best way to stop it in its tracks is to welcome it, not run away etc, and I feel I’m getting to the point where I’m willing to give it a go, but it would help me hugely if I knew others had the same symptoms.

when I have an ‘attack’ it’s generally associated with getting out of breath (in the gym, running) and can also just come on if I’m anticipating a long period of ‘isolation’ like a long journey on my own in the car. I basically feel I can’t catch my breath/take a deep enough breath, then I will try again, and if I can’t I feel the need to swallow for some reason. Inevitably, I then struggle to compete a swallow and it makes me sh1t myself (not literally), and I’ll retreat to a safe place, where it gets better, with maybe a yawn to help me get a good breath and some water to help me swallow.I don’t get the racing pulse, the tingling, but I do worry I’m going to choke.

sorry for rambling, but I think it will help me to hear of anyone else who gets it the same way!

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
Hi, I nearly have the same feelings when I get my panic attacks. It will feel like I can’t breath and get the feeling the throat is closing up. Not a pleasant feeling and it’s really scary to get but it have only happened a few times for me.

I mostly get other symptoms with my social anxiety. So I don’t have GAD.

I hope you will be able to find a few people that can share their story and be of help for you.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

like a long journey on my own in the car.
i used to love that. alone time. havnt had a car to do that in 15yrs. u just need good music and money for gas. maybe some supplies and a cell phone in case u get a break down, but i never had one.