• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does anyone else get emotional when listening to classical music? Or am I just unstable?

U

UnsureOfTheIssue

Does anyone else get emotional when listening to classical music? Or am I just unstable?

I should begin by saying that I have never really listened to classical music.

The other morning my one year old was eating breakfast and this particular song was playing. The song was beautiful and every part of the song that played all I could think of was her smiling face while she was eating. I cried but I am not sure why. I listened to the song my entire ride to work and cried damn near the entire ride to work. Again, I am not sure why.

This morning while my one year old was eating breakfast there was a completely different song playing. A few, in fact, as it takes longer than one song for her to eat. I began to kind of tear up but I don't really like to cry in front of others (my wife and daughter were there) so I did whatever I could to stop the tears from forming.

As I sit here and type this I am listening to the same song from the other day. Nobody else is around and guess what? I am crying again.

I suspect that this isn't normal, right? I mean what is this a sign of? I know I have issues and I kind of cry with normal frequency but music?

S

Stray

Yes. Music can be a release, can tap into how I feel when am unable to work it out otherwise. x

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

There's nothing wrong with you. Being moved to tears is what the composer of the music would want, even hopes for. There are great waves of feeling in classical music. I am very happy for you that you can FEEL the music. I am on lithium and can no longer feel the music like that.

pepecat

pepecat

Yes. Music has always moved me. It's one of the things I love the most in life. There are several pieces of music that make me cry, and many more that move me in different ways.
I believe we are body mind and soul, and are soul is what is touched and connected to through music, art, poetry, literature, nature..... All sorts of things like that. They make us feel, and that's a good thing, in my view. I don't think it's abnormal at all.

S

steparki

Hi there,
I really enjoyed reading your post, very open and heartfelt. I discovered your post because I am at work listening to classical music, and it's making me 'well up' a little. I have found this happens often, invoking thoughts of my loved ones, just like yourself.

I am currently going to a counsellor, once a week. I started as I was suffering with anxiety, I always have but it has become more intense. My counsellor is excellent, really helping me to uncover the cause of the anxiety. Anger was present in my childhood, (mainly mine), but I developed a way of capping and ultimately suppressing my anger. This ultimately led me to suppress all of my feelings. I still had feelings, I just never processed them.

Over the weeks, I have learnt how to process my feelings, and since have experienced many including actually crying, which I haven't done in a long time. How does this relate to music? I believe music, especially classical, has in the past enabled me to process my feelings. I remember as a child playing music loud, in my room. I feel this was a way to block out my surroundings. I'm not sure, but I feel music is a connection to my inner child. That small boy needs a hug, and that was my only way to him.

I hope this makes sense, it starting to for me!

SoftRain

SoftRain

Maybe you have your emotions closer to the surface, more then usual for the recent reactions. But it is very normal for music to inspire emotion reactions in people.
Why do you think they play the intense kinda scarey music in movies right before the boogey man jumps out? 😊

NeedHaldol

NeedHaldol

i am an EDM DJ and Producer as well as a Mobile DJ.

Music has always moved me. I literally listen to music all the time, except when I am watching tv or movies with my wife. It is just a part of me. I can't imagine life without it.

It is perfectly normal to be moved by music.

It seems as if a lot of your emotions were motivated by the way it made your family happy. That is a wonderful thing and you should soak it in as much as you can.

As a DJ and producer, I work to create a feeling for my listeners - usually to party, but if I can create a feeling for someone that made them remember something in their life - first kiss, first party, first time taking a drug or getting drunk - then I have accomplished something.

C

Coast2

Its a wonderful thing to be emotionally moved by music. I very often cry to classical music, not because I'm sad but because its so beautiful.

Xx

G

gusma88

I listened to "Can't stop loving you" by Phil Collins after fighting with my wife and it bring me to cry. :cry2: :hug:

dermild

dermild

Every time I hear/see the song/video for "High Hopes" by Pink Floyd, I get weepy. Other times, I may flat-out cry. When they get to the lap steel guitar solo near the end, the water works start.

It's a song about how the magic of the world goes away when we grow up, and how it gets replaced by work, bills, and "a life consumed by slow decay." No matter how hard we try to go back, it can never be.

Throughout their history, they use "water" and "river" in their lyrics as a metaphor for life, and how it keeps flowing endlessly.

I have at least three versions of this song on various albums, but only THIS specific one hits me that way.

Here's the song: Pink Floyd - High Hopes - Live PULSE - YouTube

Beyond the horizon of the place we lived when we were young
In a world of magnets and miracles
Our thoughts strayed constantly and without boundary
The ringing of the division bell had begun

Along the Long Road and on down the Causeway
Do they still meet there by the Cut

There was a ragged band that followed in our footsteps
Running before time took our dreams away
Leaving the myriad small creatures trying to tie us to the ground
To a life consumed by slow decay

The grass was greener
The light was brighter
With friends surrounded
The nights of wonder

Looking beyond the embers of bridges glowing behind us
To a glimpse of how green it was on the other side
Steps taken forwards but sleepwalking back again
Dragged by the force of some inner tide

At a higher altitude with flag unfurled
We reached the dizzy heights of that dreamed of world

Encumbered forever by desire and ambition
There's a hunger still unsatisfied
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon
Though down this road we've been so many times

The grass was greener
The light was brighter
The taste was sweeter
The nights of wonder
With friends surrounded
The dawn mist glowing
The water flowing
The endless river

Forever and ever

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I am also a Pink Floyd fan. I don't have such an attention to detail as you dermild.

I do enjoy listening to Animals, Wish you were here, The wall etc.