• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does anyone else find it hard to ask for help?

Novastars

Novastars

Hello, I joined this forum yesterday because I was feeling very low and depressed and decided that I would ask you -people with experience of mental ill health - for your advice.
What I did instead was responding to other peoples' questions and re-assuring them, which made me escape my own problems for a little while and I felt happy that my comments were taken on board but it's not what I had planned to do. I find it so hard to ask for help for myself. Does anyone else struggle with this as well? And how do you ask for help without feeling that you're bothering people?

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Hello, for me personally, i don't find it difficult to ask for help, either in person or online.
In a place like this forum, i think that people are not bothered or annoyed if you post something, whether it is for help or a question, or an opinion.

Novastars

Novastars

Hi Anime-Alchemy, I'm in awe of your asking for help skills and it's good to know that this is a safe space to 'experiment' in. Thanks for your comment.:)

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

Hi Novastars, It is difficult for me to ask for help or explain things that I wish I could at home or in my life. However, I have been able to share things on the forum that feel impossible to get out elsewhere and people have been supportive here. 💗

Jolly

Jolly

I also found it very difficult to ask for help but wasting a lot of years dealing with it my own way apparently was not the right way. I now see a therapist twice a month who is helping me and Ian finding that the wall I built up needs to come down. I am slowly getting there. Working in mental health I knew I was doing things wrong and hiding it now I am not ashamed to ask for help. I wish you luck

Novastars

Novastars

Thanks Jolly and Signofthetimes. It's wonderful to read again that this site has such a positive effect on people's mental well being and that you, Jolly have been learning to ask for help . I'm glad I joined. I've done many years in therapy, 1 to 1 and group therapy but at the moment am waiting for the next one to start. What with Covid it takes a lot longer to be seen though. I think my inability to ask for help comes from a feeling of worthlessness. I can't imagine people wanting to listen to me and when they do I talk a few lines about how I feel and then change the subject quickly, before they get bored.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Admin
Hi Novastars,
I'm so glad you've joined us, welcome to the forum.
I hope you settle well, please do when you feel ready ask for help.
Take care

Novastars

Novastars

Thanks Mayflower7, that means a lot. :) You take care too.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

I hope in time, you won't find it difficult to ask for help. I guess it's easier online perhaps? or maybe not.

Novastars

Novastars

I think you're right, it seems easier to be open online so asking for help might be easier too. :)

Jolly

Jolly

Thanks Jolly and Signofthetimes. It's wonderful to read again that this site has such a positive effect on people's mental well being and that you, Jolly have been learning to ask for help . I'm glad I joined. I've done many years in therapy, 1 to 1 and group therapy but at the moment am waiting for the next one to start. What with Covid it takes a lot longer to be seen though. I think my inability to ask for help comes from a feeling of worthlessness. I can't imagine people wanting to listen to me and when they do I talk a few lines about how I feel and then change the subject quickly, before they get bored.
You are welcome it I have had to pay privately to find a therapist due to me knowing them all and working with a consultant psychiatrist. I am lucky to have found one that did not know me and works in a different trust but still lives my area. I do wish you so much luck and there will be light at the end of the day

FallingLeaves

FallingLeaves

Hey @Novastars - welcome :)

Just like you, I find it really hard to open up, ask for help or even just articulate how I'm feeling to people in the real world.

I always feel like I am being a burden, inconveniencing people or otherwise 'causing a fuss' when there doesn't need to be any. I also really don't like the attention all being centred on me in a conversation, which is hard to avoid when you're getting MH treatment.

Personally, I find it much easier to articulate myself here online, in writing. It gives me more time to consider what I'm going to say and artfully craft sentences, rather than words just tumbling out of my mouth.

I really hope you find it helpful being here, like I have done xxx

C

Chipotle

I find it hard to ask for help, too. It is because I am scared of the consequences and I am afraid of MH services.

I enjoy helping other people.

F

Fulcrum

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Novastars.
I did the same. Trying to help others who you think you can offer some fresh insight or perspective was my first impulse. Asking for help is hard and seems selfish or self indulgent. I still haven't. I still can't. I did start a journal and I found it cathartic without feeling guilty. Some people responded and that made me feel good and fake and guilty. BUT it was all different because I acknowledged those responses were freely given. If you want to talk, I'm here. You are not alone.

Novastars

Novastars

FallingLeaves, Fulcrum and Chipotle, I'm so sorry that you are also finding it hard to ask for help and I recognise your reasons for it. I too find it easier to think about my feelings (or even trying to make sense of them) before I write them down whereas when I'm in a conversation I don't feel that I have the time to do so, because half the time I've no idea how to articulate what I'm feeling.
FallingLeaves: you're so articulate on here and I like how you've discovered your best way of communicating (besides exactly describing how I feel when asking for help :) )
Chipotle: what are the consequences of asking for help you're scared of, if you don't mind my asking?
Fulcrum: I think it's great that you found a way to vent your thoughts or emotions. Some people are more introspective than others and if writing a journal benefits you, you seem to be one of those introspective people (like me). The problem I find is when you get 'stuck' and have no idea about how to get 'un-stuck'.
I used to believe that asking for help was a sign of weakness, but I now see that that's not correct. It takes a lot of guts to ask for help and I admire people who can do so.
I'm thankful for your responses and validations and I hope that we'll all get a little bit better at it, because I do think that being able to be vulnerable and communicating how we feel will make our lives less of a struggle.
And often I find that people feel quite flattered when you ask them for help. Paraphrasing a quote I once came across: 'if you want people to like you, ask them to do something for you'.