• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does anyone else feel that this is true?

Hello!
I wanted to see if this was something other people with OCD agree with. I’ve been told that my OCD is a coping mechanism as a way to have control over something when my life feels out of control, especially in times like this where the world is very uncertain. So my compulsions are something I do to relieve my anxiety and feel in control, whereas my life feels out of control. Is this true for you guys too? I’m not sure if I agree but it does seem to make sense.

M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

I certainly do not feel in control when I'm doing my compulsions. In my experience, OCD is what causes my life to spiral out of control.

EddieH

EddieH

Forum Safety Team
I have been told that about my ocd. That it is me contolling things. It feels totally out of my control when I do it. Welcome to the forum by the way

Thanks for the replies! @BetaMale, I agree, I don’t feel in control when I do compulsions but I was told that by doing them, my brain feels like I have controlled the situation (if that makes sense) even though it makes my OCD worse. So if I had the compulsion to turn a light on and off otherwise I believe something bad will happen, it’s like I’m trying to be in control of stopping bad things from happening. @EddieH I also agree with that, and thank you!

Keesha

Keesha

That’s an interesting conclusion about ocd. Wouldn’t it depend on how your ocd manifests and expresses itself.

If you’ve learned that counting steps as you walk is a way to keep other thoughts at bay then yes it would seem like a good coping mechanism. From reading up about ocd most people have a type where repetition and counting are all part of it.

My ocd doesn’t manifest that way. My mind seems to go too fast and dig too deep once it’s latched onto something , that it eventually spirals into sheer panic. It’s a horrible thing to go through because I feel completely lost when it happens. I don’t feel like myself at all. I feel the opposite of being in control.

M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

@1357924681 Ah, I see.

Welcome to the forum btw. :welcome: Interesting username!

Keesha

Keesha

Compulsion. Oh yes. 😖

@Keesha I think what I wrote was confusing, I’m terrible at explaining things hahaha but usually my OCD involves contamination, so for example if I believed my clothes were dirty (even if they weren’t), my compulsion would be to wash them. By doing this, it’s a way of controlling how clean my clothes are although it just makes my OCD worse.

I usually get worse symptoms when my life is uncertain/out of control and that’s why I was told that my OCD is my brain’s way of trying to take back some control in an unhealthy way. But the main issue I see with that idea is that I feel out of control when it happens. Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

Keesha

Keesha

@Keesha I think what I wrote was confusing, I’m terrible at explaining things hahaha but usually my OCD involves contamination, so for example if I believed my clothes were dirty (even if they weren’t), my compulsion would be to wash them. By doing this, it’s a way of controlling how clean my clothes are although it just makes my OCD worse.

I usually get worse symptoms when my life is uncertain/out of control and that’s why I was told that my OCD is my brain’s way of trying to take back some control in an unhealthy way. But the main issue I see with that idea is that I feel out of control when it happens. Thanks for taking the time to reply :)
The compulsion to react to something that I frantically think needs fixing becomes my obsession but instead of leaning back to see the bigger picture (and possibly gaining a better perspective), I dive right in to dissect the problem and become compulsively engrossed to the point of exhaustion. The shocking thing is that I’m only just discovering this about myself. All I knew was that I’d get myself into these frenzies and not know why or how they happened. Now I do. It’s embarrassing but things could be worse.

The compulsion to react to something that I frantically think needs fixing becomes my obsession but instead of leaning back to see the bigger picture (and possibly gaining a better perspective), I dive right in to dissect the problem and become compulsively engrossed to the point of exhaustion. The shocking thing is that I’m only just discovering this about myself. All I knew was that I’d get myself into these frenzies and not know why or how they happened. Now I do. It’s embarrassing but things could be worse.
I can definitely relate, like if I get a thought that distresses me and I can’t be sure whether it’s true or not, I feel like I have to instantly find out and erase any doubts I have. It does feel exhausting because sometimes you just can’t know something for certain and you spend so much energy trying to reassure yourself/find the truth if that makes sense? And there’s always a sense of urgency

Keesha

Keesha

I can definitely relate, like if I get a thought that distresses me and I can’t be sure whether it’s true or not, I feel like I have to instantly find out and erase any doubts I have. It does feel exhausting because sometimes you just can’t know something for certain and you spend so much energy trying to reassure yourself/find the truth if that makes sense? And there’s always a sense of urgency
Yes. Instantly become an Inspector Clue-so? (Sp) Lol. The obsessive need to figure out whether ‘this thought’ is something I need to be worried or threatened by. Well, it might not be but by the time I’m finished with it, it IS!!! 😳
YES!!! That sense of urgency. Your choice of words are so spot on for me.
Compulsion & urgency. That’s them! Lol 👍🤓

I do not have OCD myself. But I thought maybe you would find this interesting.

That was really interesting to read, thanks for sharing it! It’s weirdly reassuring to think that my OCD is real/part of my brain and not something I’m just making up