• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does anyone else feel like this?

G

goldishsoul

Hello, I'm writing in this thread because I believe I may have depression. I've suspected it for 5 years now but I'm not sure. Allow me to explain how I feel:

It usually starts randomly when I wake up, I get this overwhelming feeling of hopelessness and usually by the end of the day become emotionally numb. My hygiene starts to decline (i.e. not showering for long periods of time, not brushing my teeth) because I start believing that there is no point in taking care of myself if everyone (including me) is going to eventually die. For about a week or a week and a half, I feel like I have a heavyweight on my shoulders, then it turns into stiffness in my entire body. Two to three weeks in, I begin to drop all the activities I was doing, nothing is entertaining anymore, nothing makes me happy anymore. The emotions then start to kick in, the insecurities, the helplessness, everything kicks in at once and I usually have a big mental breakdown. Then for the weeks after that, I don't feel anything, I just stop caring about everything and everyone.

I'm now a month into my depressive episode, apparently, insomnia is becoming a part of my life, I haven't showered in two weeks, my hair is matted, my skin is breaking out and flaking, my room is messy, everything feels so out of control.

So I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone go through this? If so, how do you get out of it? what are the first steps? do you have a support system or are you alone?

N

Nukelavee

Best way to shake it off is to do things like cleaning up and taking care of yourself. Take back control by actually taking action.

If you shower and clean up, you've accomplished something. Doing things in spite of how low you feel shows yourself you can do things, it takes back control of your surroundings. Then, you can start to climb out of the depression.

Blooming

Blooming

Contact a Psycologist or a Psychiatrist. There are sevral online. Try to cooperate. It is no shame to be depressed! :hug:

Hardknocks88

Hardknocks88

So the first thing to do is to get a doctor to get a real diagnosis. but that sounds like it. the best thing to do is to try to push yourself. do it all even if you dont feel like it. your hygene, doing things you love (their may be times where you do them because your too tired or unmotivated), etc. . theirs also something called emotional nihilism where you dont care about anyone or anything and everything loses its purpose. its a really intense state of mind. the best thing to do is to do something anything or you'll feel worse. heres a useful article for that. hope this helps. Strategies for dealing with emotional nihilism - LessWrong

Desire less

Desire less

Hi goldishSoul,

In nearly any treatment they always try to chance your way of thinking first, which changes the chemical balance in the brain which makes a huge difference in what you think and feel....this is a pretty tough proces.

I learned it myself by searching for solutions online.

It's best to look at people with the same problems and who were able to solve it.

If they can't chance the mindset they usually try activating you to undertake things which can also change a lot.

Sometimes they prescribe medication which can also help, but haven't read much good stories about it and nearly all of them give side effects.

Hope you find a way to recover.

Forgot to look when this question was posted 😉