• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does anybody use any 'alternative' therapies?

Prince Buster

Prince Buster

Just wondered if anybody uses any 'alternative' therapies and what your experiences are?

I suffer from depression and anxiety and find craniosacral therapy very useful. I have also found lavender oil on my pillow helps me to relax and sleep.

Would be good to hear of any positive experiences of any other forum members.

P

philmriv

I was really helped by what I guess is an alternative therapy-- Social Anxiety Anonymous (they are a nonprofit). basically its a 12 Step program for Social Anxiety (although it has a lot of tools you won't find in other 12 Step programs).

They also encourage meditation and I do meditate, which really helps too.

J

jamesdean

I had hypnotherapy for two years once n it helped enourmously and was really plesesnt. it was with a trained therapist.

G

gainsbourg

As a hypnotherapist I am bound to agree! You can easily find a local hypnotherapist through Google or Yellow Pages. The trouble is that there are many different approaches to hypnotherapy and many people get confused.

Some use an analytical approach, in other words your past and your personality will be examined and there will be a fair amount of regression therapy. Others deal more with looking at your present situation and using direct suggestion and dissociation techniques during hypnosis to help you recover or cope better with your problem. Others incorperate techniques such as Neuro Linguistic programming (NLP).

It's best talk to a few different therapists over the phone before you make up your mind and choose someone helpful who is friendly, sympathetic and has a voice that you like the sound of... voice can be very important. You may also want to establish whether the hypnotherapist has a proven track record of helping people with problems similar to your own. Above all, If the first hypnotherapist you visist doesn't "do it" for you, don't give up!

If you are interested in trying out a little self hypnosis as a taster, you can download a free of charge script which I use for many of my clients with anxiety related problems, from which you can make your own self hypnosis recording using a tape recorder or computer. daily self-hypnosis can also bring benefits similar to daily meditation.

Although self-hypnosis can often make quite a difference, it is unlikely to compare with live, one-to-one hypnotherapy for a number of reasons, for example, it will not be as thorough, or tailored to your individual needs, personality or situation. You will find many places on the internet marketing ready made hypnosis audio products.

gainsbourg

Last edited:
P

philmriv

By the way, I forgot to ad the link (Social Anxiety Anonymous free telephone or local support groups for overcoming social anxiety problems: http://www.healsocialanxiety.com

It is a really great alternative and helped me a lot!

I was really helped by what I guess is an alternative therapy-- Social Anxiety Anonymous (they are a nonprofit). basically its a 12 Step program for Social Anxiety (although it has a lot of tools you won't find in other 12 Step programs).

They also encourage meditation and I do meditate, which really helps too.

D

deervista

Spiritual Faith Healing

Hi ,

http://aashaa.org also provides Spiritual healing based on Eastern philosophy and Homeopathy. I heard good about it from a friend of mine. It's non-profit.

Regards,

Darryl

P

philmriv

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
I have a friend who with depression really found benefit in reflexology. I haven't followed him yet though so I can't have been totally convinced!