• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does anybody know..

Unique1

Unique1

Hi

I suffer with depression, anxiety and trauma. On a recent assessment with a phsychiatrist he has recommended I have a blood test for thyroid problems. I'm due the test soon.

I've heard people mention thyroid problems alongside mental health issues before, wondered if anyone new, if thyroid problems occur as a result of MH probs or could it be that the problems experienced are thyroid problems and not MH. But confused as to how/why these two things come together, if I am found to have thyroid problems does it mean I don't have MH problems and the symptoms are thyroid related.
Feel a bit confused with it all.
Any help /experiences greatly appreciated.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
i think if you have thyroid issues it can cause depression. your trauma cant be caused my the thyroid though.

W

Waverunner

There is a link between thyroid problems and depression but all the info I've ever read said they weren't sure if the depression was a result of the thyroid or vice versa. My personal opinion is that the symptoms of a thyroid problem can lead to depression. But, I don't think that is a given

Unique1

Unique1

i think if you have thyroid issues it can cause depression. your trauma cant be caused my the thyroid though.
Thank you Helena.
Appreciate response

Unique1

Unique1

There is a link between thyroid problems and depression but all the info I've ever read said they weren't sure if the depression was a result of the thyroid or vice versa. My personal opinion is that the symptoms of a thyroid problem can lead to depression. But, I don't think that is a given
Thank you waverunner.
Appreciate response.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Linda1989 Wellbeing 1