• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Does anybody have any experience of Quetiapine?

P

panictastic

Hello everyone

Hope you all had a good Christmas.

Just been prescribed 50mg Quetiapine for my GAD, Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia, Am currently on 45mg Mirtazapine.

Of course I have panicked myself by googling all the possible side effects (schoolboy error)

Does anybody have any experience of Quetiapine?

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi,

Hope you had a good Christmas too.

Yes, I take Quetiapine. The worst of the side effects wore off after being on it for a while, after a few weeks, I think. I still get a very dry mouth and restless legs but, as it's helped a great deal with many of my symptoms, I consider it a small price to pay. I'm on a higher dose though so I don't know if the side effects would be different. I'm sure there are others on here with experience of Quetiapine at different strengths/doses who can advise.

I find it surprising they prescribe anti-psychotics for anxiety/panic attacks. It's pretty heavy duty stuff. Did your psychiatrist not go through the possible side effects with you before prescribing it?

Anyway, I hope that it doesn't affect you too badly and that you get some relief from your anxiety etc. If you have any questions about it I'm happy to help, if I can. Good luck!

P

panictastic

Hi Purple Chaos,

It's kind of a last roll of the dice for my pdoc, I have tried pretty much all the SSRI's and SNRI's and found them all too activating and had bad reactions (increased anxiety to a manic state), Pregablin, Buspirone didn't work either so a small dose of quetiapine was suggested. I was given a print off which pretty much stated a few very basic side effects, but read the leaflet that came with the pills.

Can I ask what side effects you had when starting out?

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

As far as I can remember (it was quite some time ago) the worst were:

Congestion/blocked sinuses. I couldn't breathe through my nose for a few weeks.

Tiredness, day and night. This didn't last long though, perhaps a week or two.

Extremely dry mouth, probably not helped by the above but it continued after the congestion had cleared.

Rapid weight gain and hunger pangs (particularly at night). This eased off and I'm almost back to my normal weight.

Terrible restless legs. As I said, this I still suffer with but not to the degree I did when I first started taking it...

I think that's it!

Again, this is just my experience and on a higher dose. Hopefully your experience will be different and the effects will not be too bad. Just keep an eye on things and, if anything becomes too troublesome, go back to your psychiatrist to discuss.

P

panictastic

Thanks Purple Chaos,

If it just knocks me out I can deal with that lol. At such a small dose I'm hoping the SE will be minimal.

T

Thoth

Thanks Purple Chaos,

If it just knocks me out I can deal with that lol. At such a small dose I'm hoping the SE will be minimal.
That depends, which one are you on the XR or just seroquel. Seroquel + mirtazapine should put the average person too sleep. However Seroquel did not work for me at all. we went to 800mg and I was still having sleepless nights. Also I was on 10mg Zyprexa + 800mg Seroquel and I got at the most 2-3 hours. So you end up feeling jet-lagged, groggy and dazed.

I know a few people who say it does the trick, but never worked. I was quite glad to get off of it in the end. If you can maybe ask your doctor about Mianserin instead of Mirtazapine.

M

Mastiff mom

Hi, I'm on Seroquel and have been for many years. I currently take 300 mg at night and a 100 during the day if I feel agitated. Dry mouth, weight gain from excessive hunger were my main side effects. It's an effective drug for many people. Hope it works for you!

D

Deliah

Hello Mastiff mum, and happy new year to you! I have just read this thread and I'm wondering whether you considered other options besides meds. It sounds like the meds haven't worked anyway, have you considered that you can recover through the power of your own mind. Are you aware of mindfulness training. If you find a good therapist to work with you in this you will be amazed by what is possible. These labels only exist in a psychiatrists office. I have voices and a very visual mind. I have also experienced paranoia and obsessive thinking. I manage everything without meds because I have explored and learnt how to look after my mind. I'm not ill anymore, I just have a less usual experience. If the meds don't work, them why take them. love D xxx

T

Tina0

Hi, I have been taking 450mg of quitiapine at night and 200mg sertraline in the morning. About half an hour after I take the quitiapine my nose gets blocked up and I feel hungry. I have put on weight with it and my legs sometimes twitch. I get night sweats with it too. I thought it was helping with my paranoia and anxiety, thoughts etc when I first started taking it but I don't feel that great now. (Taking it for about 6 months). I knocks me out at night so at least I sleep more rather than being awake for hours. I have been on quite a few anti-psychotic medications with lots of different side effects. The side effects with quitiapine have been the easiest for me to cope with although not that nice. I hope quitiapine works for you. T

T

Thoth

Well that's the thing with most atypical anti-psychotics. The weight gain is an issue, in six weeks I gained 2 stone in weight, and it wasn't till about a month of so coming off of Olanzapine that I started shedding the weight off. The thing was I cottoned onto the weight gain, and started eating less than I had been before the anti-psychotics, despite that I still put on a considerable amount. Anyway I've lost a stone so far.

The thing is you need a drug that provides somnolence or stronger, then you are walking into side-effect territory. Tricyclics from the 1960's have a few candidates and they all have cholinergic side-effects. A stronger one of course is Thorazine, but the side effects are nearly longer than a phone book directory. Ok that was a hyperbole, but still.

T

Thoth

I just want to stress, because I never told or emphasised the reason why I was glad to get off of it. I don't know what the prescription rate is in the UK, but last year Seroquel was the 4th most highest prescribed drug in Australia. Let that sink in... It started from a mere 1,400 prescriptions in 2000, to over 1 million by 2013.

Several studies that Australia had of 589 ambulance emergencies last year because of an overdose, or sudden heart failure due to seroquel. Also in Australia in the last 3 years in Australia shows that 10per cent of overdosed deaths were from seroquel. Of course sudden cardiac death is rare, studies show it only happens in 1.6per cent that take the drug, but all of the cases happened when the patient was on seroquel for more than 2 years. One thing that is down played is the risk of cardiac arrythmia, which once it happens, it is permanent.

The madness is the fact that this is one of the very few anti-psychotic that has had unusual sales and growth, most anti-psychotics are only targeted for the tiny market of schizophrenia, but Seroquel has been used a lot for other uses that it was never intended for. Dr. Iain McGregor says one of the reasons is because doctors have what he coined was a "Benzo-phobia". Which is true, benzodiazepine substances are very good and effective but they can only be used for short-term, because long term use can seriously impair your cognitive functions, and have you hooked on it.

To give you an idea what you are playing with, New Zealander Dr. Erik Monasterio, described it as a legal baby-heroin. He among other doctors agree that at higher doses you are playing with your life. I don't want it to sound fearmongering, but put it this way, It was one of the drugs that when I did some real hard research I was very shocked. I first just came across a study which said 14per cent patients got short-term memory loss from it, and only 40per cent of those were temporary.

I'm usually very liberal when it comes to drugs, some I've been on are illegal in the UK. But if it's for anxiety or insomnia which it frequently gets prescribed for, then either (a) know what type of fire you're dealing with and (b) see if there are safer alternatives.