• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does anybody else hear music? As in original music not just a song stuck in your head?

K

KiwiEJ

Does anybody else hear music? As in original music not just a song stuck in your head?

Music has always been an innate part of me, but recently as in from probably the start of this year I've been hearing music, and I'm not talking about a popular song that's been playing on the radio, I'm talking about original music that is unique to me, including my voices singing to me. It starts off "inside" my head and works it way out until its rather loud and clutters my thinking distracting me from doing everyday tasks.

All of this is without the help of any illicit drugs, I am a migraineur however and I wonder if that plays a part, I also have a few extra senses as in seeing emotion and physical sensation in the form of colors and shapes if that makes sense.

I just thought I would ask if anybody else has experienced this?

Sometimes it's really beautiful I wish I could transcribe it so I could share it, other times it's scary and just downright annoying especially when I need to sleep

Greytabby

Greytabby

I hear music... except with me it is in loud booming spurts... Like someone turned it on suddenly and loudly and then it as quickly goes away... It scares the fire out of me when it happens... Literally makes me jump out of my skin... It's happened several times... My PDOC says it is an auditory hallucination...

KAT

R

Rizukiza

i do. every sound i hear makes two sounds, one that is heard with my ears, and one that is heard by an odd sort of sense i cannot describe except as a visual memory of sound, and sensed together create an odd sense of music that is both terrofying and soothing, but not at the same time. i write some of it down some times

bert tomato

bert tomato

I think this is normal. Music is a human talent, so perhaps this displays an innate ability for you.

Are you musical at all? Do you enjoy to play an instrument?

M

ms bojangles

I hear music, but only in snatches, and I don't recognise it as any piece I've ever heard before. I also hear all kinds of sounds, like children crying, dogs barking, truck engines ...it's as if my brain's a tape recorder. If I've heard people talking in another language, even though I don't actually speak that language, later on the voices will be talking to each other in it. Strange things, voices.

D

democritus

I hear music, but only in snatches, and I don't recognise it as any piece I've ever heard before. I also hear all kinds of sounds, like children crying, dogs barking, truck engines ...it's as if my brain's a tape recorder. If I've heard people talking in another language, even though I don't actually speak that language, later on the voices will be talking to each other in it. Strange things, voices.
lots and lots of songs, the most recent, how do you tell her that you love her, once it was nights in white satin, sometimes it is oh what a beautiful morning, on occaasioons, in a monastry garden, somehow or other nursery rhymes with wrong words, and loads of people who I knew through my previous life, in a monastry garden goes like this:

through the misty twilights falling
voices from afar are calling calling for those angels
from above, etc.

very old song hey, from the late eighteen hundredds so where does that come from. grandma i suppose

democritus

Last edited:
M

Musicinhead

I get this too, they most definately are not cover songs I hear , its more just making my own music in my head, it just seems to do it for me and I am starting to pay attention to it as I like the sound , its fun and no harm to myself or anyone else, in fact I think its a big help in many ways sometimes.

L

lea7232

nights in white satin has been in my head with no explanation why many times...it's calming to me because there is no factor of why it is in my head and why i just start singing it out loud...beautiful song though x

M

Musicinhead

I get cover songs if I listen to them around that time or maybe a lyric sometimes but sometimes its just my own music, its months after I remember a lyric or a melody or riff from my own and it is relaxing or something like that, just like a song from someone else would be too sometimes, there's always some influence , nature, music , people, words .. anything .. so its just a fun thing to have and then play around on an instrument with that, it also can tell you maybe how your mind is , parts of it you weren't aware of , when you listen back , maybe the words you use or even the key you had the meoldy or whatever musicial idea in , effects u might hear or imagine, the mysteries of the mind , ha
its surprizing, its just fun anyway.
speaking of 'satin' , that has a childhood memory for me, reminds me of choosing my communion dress when I was 7 years old , funny one.

Last edited:
|||ME|||

|||ME|||

I have had music I didn't recognise. Just once.

It was good but frustrating ... I wished I knew a way to record, write or recreate it, but I didn't because, apart from my arse, I'm not musical and now it's lost.

The royalties would have been very welcome. Being a one hit wonder would have been better than being a no hit blunder :(

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

I used to hear Indian classical music. I have an ongoing interest in India, its culture, music, food and so on, but especially its religion and music. I hear it rarely now. religious chanting is much more the norm for me.

M

mindprobs13

It could be your synesthesia. There has been some research into music and people with synesthesia. It's quite interesting but it basically says this. It is more for 'listening to music' but may make you think.

Synaesthetes showed significantly greater brain activity in an area called the inferior parietal cortex (IPC). The IPC is associated with many tasks including spatial-dynamic processing, mental imagery, attention control and visuo-motor control. It can be thought of as one of the important relay stations in the brain, where input from different sensory areas comes together for processing. The authors suggested that the hyper activity in this area might be behind the extrasensory ‘binding’ that is characteristic of ton-colour synaesthesia – coupling together trigger and response sensory areas via disinhibited feedback.
This Website may be Helpful:
Tones and colours in the brain

~~~mindprobs13

Last edited:
SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Interesting thread, obviously haven't seen it before 'cause it's an old one.
I hear quite elaborate music in running water - sounds of bells and flutes.
I also get quite complex "original" songs/melodies in my head when i'm drifting off. Like to think of it as angelic lullabies. x

S

sparrows

I pretty much always have music in my head. It actually kinda blew my mind when i discovered that everyone else didn't. Most of the time it is just a short phase that kinda evolves over time and is usually pretty pleasant. i also get short spoken phrases or sometimes single words too though, they drive me crazy, particularly if i am already stressed out. I've only found it to be annoying when I am stressed out and anxious, then it can get distractingly loud, or if there is a loud clock in the room whatever song it is will be slowed down to be in time with it.
Not having it there sees like it would be pretty terrifying though, way to quiet.

Prairie Sky

Prairie Sky

I often hear music, just quietly, like it's playing in another room. (I live in the country so there's no neighbours near enough to hear.) It's quite restful really, and I don't mind it at all.

There's also music in my head, but I don't know if that's really a psychosis or just my own thoughts. Hard to tell sometimes.