• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Does any one else with bi-polar have anger issues.

K

keith74

I guess it could be, but it typically isn't classified as such.

Have you looked at trying lamotrigine? That is a well known mood stabilizer that is really helpful for depression. That might be a good replacement for the antidepressant. lamotrigine+abilify might be a good combo for you. Many people here seem to do well with lamotrigine and there is another member here (HLon99) who says the lamotrigine+abilify combo has worked well for him for awhile (though he is looking to switch things up a bit).

Hello513

Hello513

My billion dollar high tech malibu mansion
I guess it could be, but it typically isn't classified as such.

Have you looked at trying lamotrigine? That is a well known mood stabilizer that is really helpful for depression. That might be a good replacement for the antidepressant. lamotrigine+abilify might be a good combo for you. Many people here seem to do well with lamotrigine and there is another member here (HLon99) who says the lamotrigine+abilify combo has worked well for me for awhile (though he is looking to switch things up a bit).
I have never heard of that one. thanks for the input

Wishbone

Wishbone

I would agree with Keith. The antidepressant (AD) could be causing you to come up a little too far whilst still feeling depressed or low; the result is an 'energised' anger, which suggests an imbalance. The only thing against this is that you'd assume that you would feel this way all the time and not just in episode. Do you take the Abilify all the time or only when in epsiode?
Having a more Bipolar-friendly drug as a maintenance drug, which is also helpful for depression, but won't bring you up too far like an AD, and with the protection of something like Abilify, which is supposed to be good for mixed/dysphoric states, you should, theoretically at least, feel more settled.
(Which antidepressant do you take by the way as some cause switching between episodes more than others?)

Hello513

Hello513

I would agree with Keith. The antidepressant (AD) could be causing you to come up a little too far whilst still feeling depressed or low; the result is an 'energised' anger, which suggests an imbalance. The only thing against this is that you'd assume that you would feel this way all the time and not just in episode. Do you take the Abilify all the time or only when in epsiode?
Having a more Bipolar-friendly drug as a maintenance drug, which is also helpful for depression, but won't bring you up too far like an AD, and with the protection of something like Abilify, which is supposed to be good for mixed/dysphoric states, you should, theoretically at least, feel more settled.
(Which antidepressant do you take by the way as some cause switching between episodes more than others?)
Um funny the antidepresant is the only thing that ever makes me feel stable along with abilify. I take abilify every morning, and now I am taking the antidepresant in the morning.

This combination is all that served to stabilize my anger.

Before I was taking it at night, and I frequently forgot the anti depresant so no I take it in the morning

G

Ginger Kitten

Far more useful from my point of view was DBT (dialectical behaviour therapy), which you are very unlikely to get for bipolar disorder, as in the NHS it's used for those with Borderline Personality Disorder (they may use it for other disorders too but it's mainly for that one and definitely not for bipolar, or not in my MH Trust anyway). But there's plenty of it online; just make sure the person offering it has bona fide psychological qualifications: they will usually say who they are and how they are qualified, so do check that out. Other than that, as I say, DBT is my best tip for dealing with rage and anger. Let us all know how you get on. Kind regards, Ginger Kitten.
I've just remembered that I also paid for a brief course on anger management with Mind a couple of years ago. So consider that too: check out websites and local charities, as you may find resources to help you control your anger there. There is very little available on the NHS for anger control, in my experience.
Best wishes, Ginger.

Wishbone

Wishbone

@Hello513 Just to clarify, do you take the AD and the Abilify every day or do you only take one of them and take one of the others when you hit a bad spell?

G

Ginger Kitten

Personally, I don't find meds help that much with anger control. I think one of mine, quetiapine, did for about the first year of use but then stopped being as effective generally and in particular with the irritability. I have found psychological methods much more useful. I'm not sure we can expect medication to do everything for us with this illness; some of the effort must come from within, imo. Maybe a meds combo and some behavioural methods might work? But I must say, from my own experience, if anger is a problem, then it's a problem. You can learn to reduce it but I'm not sure you can eradicate it entirely, especially once it has become an established feature of the presentation of your illness.
I find that once my episodes subside, so does the anger. It is definitely part of my symptom profile. When I'm euthymic (stable) or even depressed, I'm just not an irritable person; it always appears when I'm episodic (I cycle mega-quickly).

G

Ginger Kitten

That's the trick they eh? Controlling it when the guards in your brain have decided to go on a little holiday! 😣
That talk didn't resonate with me either, Wishbone (I switch off with any kind of examination of the 'psyche'), but it seems to have helped Zana, at least when euthymic. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. If something helps, even a little... And if it helps Zana, it might help Hello513. Each to his/her own.

Zana

Zana

That talk didn't resonate with me either, Wishbone (I switch off with any kind of examination of the 'psyche'), but it seems to have helped Zana, at least when euthymic. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. If something helps, even a little... And if it helps Zana, it might help Hello513. Each to his/her own.
The point I was really trying to make (albeit not very well) is that it's important to try and identify a root cause or causes for anger, frustration, agitation and irritation. Our swings will of course blow the depth at which we feel these emotions way out of proportion but there will be a reason or trigger. Finding those and eliminating, mitigating or dealing with them is critical. This video was just what helped me figure that out personally.

G

Ginger Kitten

Well, there's bound always to be a trigger, but where I part company with your viewpoint is in a deep examination of the self. I tried that years ago and all it did was make me angry with my father and very nearly ruined my relationship with him. All my problems were laid at his feet by the therapist. This was before it was discovered I had biploar disorder, so that was't even considered as the cause of my emotional difficulties - when in fact it was the root cause. The approach was psychodynamic so I avoid that at all costs now. My relationship with my dad is much better now I am no longer rooting around in my own past. That type of therapy did me real harm.

Zana

Zana

It's interesting and enlightening to hear your perspective because I'd never have thought that such examinations could do more harm than good. Do you feel any benefits at all having been through this experience?

G

Ginger Kitten

It was years ago Zana and as I said, no, it did me more harm than good. That type of analytical therapy isn't right for everyone - and I'm one of them! I'd rather not talk about it any more if you don't mind - it's bringing up unpleasant memories from the past (related to the therapy, not to my past, which I've resolved now).

Hello513

Hello513

I addressed my issues of mania with the nurse. Given that I was not going without sleep for days, and my productivity was structured not untructured she does not think it is mania. They are keeping the meds the same.

Which makes me think I am not actually bi-polar, but the orginal diagnoses I had Depression with psychotic tendencies.

FML I hate my life.