• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Does any one else with bi-polar have anger issues.

Hello513

Hello513

My billion dollar high tech malibu mansion
Sometimes I do get manic, but ussually my Bi-polar expresses itself in extreme anger/irritation or depresion.

I am to easily triggered to rage, and to top it all of I have this voice in my head who irritates me and I just want it to shut up. I end up getting angry at other people for bugging me at times because this voice won't shut it, and anything that triggers it to talk sends me spiraling out of control.

Sometimes most times actually its quite, but whenver this voice in my head "thinks something" I start screaming and shouting in anger

Hello513

Hello513

I am trying to work on it using CBT skills because while the meds help it does not fix it entirely. I view the meds as like "a leg up" on the problem, but its still there even with the meds.

K

keith74

Sometimes I do get manic, but ussually my Bi-polar expresses itself in extreme anger/irritation or depresion.
This sounds like typical mixed (dysphoric) mania. My wife tends to get types of manic episodes instead of the euphoric ones. She is incredibly irritable and angry and just flat out mean when she is in this state.

Do you feel you have these anger issues when you are are not in an episode? If so, CBT/DBT can be helpful.

G

Ginger Kitten

Yes, anger is a problem for 30% of people with bipolar. But this fact isn't recognised by some psychiatrists; and it's virtually unknown outside of psychiatry, in my experience. There's not a lot of help for it other than meds either - and, as you say, they don't always work.

I found CBT hopeless in helping me to control this extreme mood state. I am not keen on CBT anyway; I feel it is used as a panacea in mental health. Quite honestly, it's a bit of a one-trick pony that they trot out every now and then and I think there are some things that it just doesn't touch. But that's just my view; things may be differnt for you and I don't want to cloud your judgement on it.

Far more useful from my point of view was DBT (dialectical behaviour therapy), which you are very unlikely to get for bipolar disorder, as in the NHS it's used for those with Borderline Personality Disorder (they may use it for other disorders too but it's mainly for that one and definitely not for bipolar, or not in my MH Trust anyway). But there's plenty of it online; just make sure the person offering it has bona fide psychological qualifications: they will usually say who they are and how they are qualified, so do check that out. Other than that, as I say, DBT is my best tip for dealing with rage and anger. Let us all know how you get on. Kind regards, Ginger Kitten.

Hello513

Hello513

This sounds like typical mixed (dysphoric) mania. My wife tends to get types of manic episodes instead of the euphoric ones. She is incredibly irritable and angry and just flat out mean when she is in this state.

Do you feel you have these anger issues when you are are not in an episode? If so, CBT/DBT can be helpful.
No I do not feel that way. This intense anger is typically episodic, and is typically followed by an intense feeling of exhaustion

Wishbone

Wishbone

What, to you, is the difference between being manic and this that you're experiencing? I'm thinking of all aspects here by the way, sleep, mood, activity etc. How do they differ?

Zana

Zana

It does indeed sound like dysphoric mania. My last mania was like that and it was the worst experience of my life (which is saying something). Also in general anger is something I had a lot of struggles with as a teenager through to mid twenties.

There were definitely a number of reasons but the main turning point was understanding and accepting that there is a ferocious monster within and instead of trying to pretend it didn't exist, what's better is to bring it under voluntary control.

Jordan Peterson's 'the meek shall inherit the earth' speech (
) is what triggered this change in philosophy which has made me more balanced, calm and at ease in general. During mania who knows if this will make any difference but hopefully it reduces the ease with which mania could occur due to internal conflict, which was the real reason I'd get disproportionately angry.

In summary, whilst learning ways to manage anger is important, one should also address potential reasons for why the anger might be there in the first place.

Wishbone

Wishbone

That's the trick they eh? Controlling it when the guards in your brain have decided to go on a little holiday! 😣

K

keith74

No I do not feel that way. This intense anger is typically episodic, and is typically followed by an intense feeling of exhaustion
Yes, this does sound like dysphoric mania. When you are in the throes of it, it is tough to manage it. The CBT/DBT mentioned is most helpful when you are stable. Assuming you practice every day, it makes you check in with yourself and can help you notice early when an episode is starting. It can also help prevent the episode from ramping up a lot. Early detection is key in preventing it from really ramping up. Once you feel it coming, you can take appropriate action like increasing meds, seeing your psychiatrist, doing a lot of calming activities, etc.

Hello513

Hello513

Yes, this does sound like dysphoric mania. When you are in the throes of it, it is tough to manage it. The CBT/DBT mentioned is most helpful when you are stable. Assuming you practice every day, it makes you check in with yourself and can help you notice early when an episode is starting. It can also help prevent the episode from ramping up a lot. Early detection is key in preventing it from really ramping up. Once you feel it coming, you can take appropriate action like increasing meds, seeing your psychiatrist, doing a lot of calming activities, etc.
Ya my last episode started friday. My anti-depresant seems to help it so I am taking my meds in the morning now instead of at night that seems to have alleviated it. I messaged my doctor about it hopefully I get to talks to her today.

It really does not help that I also have this voice in my head that irritates me that is hard to shut up, and really makes the intense anger worse.

The anti depresant seems to help silence it as well as make me feel more emotionally stable with the adition of abilify.

So I am going to take these meds in the morning.

Thanks for everyones feedback I really want long term stability I am sick of all this rubber banding between stability and crash and burn

Hello513

Hello513

It does indeed sound like dysphoric mania. My last mania was like that and it was the worst experience of my life (which is saying something). Also in general anger is something I had a lot of struggles with as a teenager through to mid twenties.

There were definitely a number of reasons but the main turning point was understanding and accepting that there is a ferocious monster within and instead of trying to pretend it didn't exist, what's better is to bring it under voluntary control.

Jordan Peterson's 'the meek shall inherit the earth' speech (
) is what triggered this change in philosophy which has made me more balanced, calm and at ease in general. During mania who knows if this will make any difference but hopefully it reduces the ease with which mania could occur due to internal conflict, which was the real reason I'd get disproportionately angry.

In summary, whilst learning ways to manage anger is important, one should also address potential reasons for why the anger might be there in the first place.

I have always had anger issues, but what really sends me spiralling out of control is this voice in my head that has to comment on everything I do. That really makes it near impossible to control myself.

A lot of other stuff can trigger me as well. Like people trying to convert me to a religion. That will get me into a rage for days. Probably because I resent my religous upbringing.

Also I have father issues that I have never really adressed. Its safe to say I get my anger from him, and he is like oblivious to it.

He is like that person who is like SNAP OUT OF IT, and its like he is oblivious to the fact I likely got these issues from him.

K

keith74

Ya my last episode started friday. My anti-depresant seems to help it so I am taking my meds in the morning now instead of at night that seems to have alleviated it. I messaged my doctor about it hopefully I get to talks to her today.
What other meds beside the antidepressant do you take? I ask because there is a risk of antidepressants triggering mania/psychosis in people with bipolar. Antidepressants are usually a med of "last resort" for people with bipolar, and usually given with an antipsychotic to protect against the mania/psychosis (some meds like symbyax is already a combination of an antidepressant+antipsychotic all in one pill).

Hello513

Hello513

What other meds beside the antidepressant do you take? I ask because there is a risk of antidepressants triggering mania/psychosis in people with bipolar. Antidepressants are usually a med of "last resort" for people with bipolar, and usually given with an antipsychotic to protect against the mania/psychosis (some meds like symbyax is already a combination of an antidepressant+antipsychotic all in one pill).

ablifify

K

keith74

Abilify is an antipsychotic so that will help.