• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does any of this sound familiar

G

glennbuck

Hi im off to see my doctor next week,but just wanted to explain my story and see if anyone recognises some of these things.I worked on the cruise ships for 3 years,on my last ship i was drinking every day for 6 weeks and started getting hypermania i think,very talkative,on top of the world,didnt need much sleep,it was a strange feeling looking back,thought i was really funny etc,anyway after about 3 weeks of mania i got drunk one afternoon and went to work that night and lost my job.Didnt really care as i was so naturly high,thought i could do whatever i wanted etc,on my way home from losing my job i went to a church as i was having burning hands sensations,thought i might have magical healing abilitys,went to a few churches talking to priests about my new special powers etc.i did have burning hands as i put them on my mums shoulders and she said they were to hot etc.Anyway after about six weeks,i was back to normal its been 8 months and i feel fine dont get depressed or self harm or anything,but looking back on it i was quite out of it for a while.Also 5 years ago i started gambling,ended up stealing £2000 pound and gambling it all away,moved to a new city and started afresh.I think that might of been me being manic as well,so 2 episodes of being manic in 5 years,but no depression or suicidal thoughts,has anyone else experienced similar things happen?Can you be bipolar without deep depresion? Thanks for your time,take care.

T

Twylight

Hello and welcome

Good luck with the Doctor

I can relate to what your saying

It might be an idea to write some of your thoughts down to show to the Doctor

G

glennbuck

Thanks for the quick reply,i can remember this and will tell the doctor about what i wrote here, since my early 20,s ive struggled to concentrate,my friends always got annoyed because i interupt them in the middle of the conversations and talk over them,and always flit between a conversation that we might of been talking about 30 minutes earlier etc.I dont think before i speak and im very honest with what i say which shocks some people,saying inapropriate things to them etc.Will relay all this to my doctor,dont like the idea of taking medication that dopes you up, and i here lithium can be harmfull and you need lots of blood tests regularly,ive a phobia of needles etc.

Q

quality factor

Hi and welcome!
Some of what you describe is familiar, but only a professional can make a diagnosis.
As for lithium, it can be a very efficient drug as long as it is closely monitored. Yes, it does mean regular blood tests, but from experience of having a dislike of needles it does become easier.
Try and see your doctor with a clear mind and not pre-determine what you think may be your problem. Make a list of what seems to be bothering you to give to your doctor.
Good luck!
QF.

D

Dollit

I think you're jumping ahead a little. Bipolar Disorder isn't the only thing that can influence highs - thyroid dysfunction can affect moods dramatically too. You don't describe depressions and you say you haven't had any (Bipolar is about highs and lows) but that alcohol was a factor in the first experience. Any psychiatrist making a diagnosis would have to rule out alcohol or drug abuse as a cause first.

As to your way of talking - that isn't necessarily abnormal in itself. I have a friend who does that and it drives me crazy but he has no mental health problems whatsoever.

So projecting to taking Lithium (which is by no means given to everybody) and not liking blood tests is a bit of a leap.

If you're worried see a GP but don't assume you're ill when you could be just experiencing life!

L

laulipop

Thanks for the quick reply,i can remember this and will tell the doctor about what i wrote here, since my early 20,s ive struggled to concentrate,my friends always got annoyed because i interupt them in the middle of the conversations and talk over them,and always flit between a conversation that we might of been talking about 30 minutes earlier etc.I dont think before i speak and im very honest with what i say which shocks some people,saying inapropriate things to them etc.Will relay all this to my doctor,dont like the idea of taking medication that dopes you up, and i here lithium can be harmfull and you need lots of blood tests regularly,ive a phobia of needles etc.
I completely understand what you say about the conversations and the talking etc. I dont have a firm diagnosis yet either, but well, I hope you get the help you want/need