• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Doctor won’t let me take antidepressant

J

Jetaime97

I am 24 and have always been irritable. I can sleep a very long time. I have such bad social anxiety its very had for me to even make myself go to the store. I probably go out once every 4 months. I have a toddler and I am easily irritated with her. I hide it as much as possible. Recently, I decided to go to a psychiatrist to be evaluated. She diagnosed me bipolar 1 due to me telling her since I was young, I would be unmotivated and couldn’t get off the couch for a week, then all the sudden I would get this intense adrenaline rush for two days where I could not stop cleaning and organizing. I would be srubbing walls till 5 am. She prescribed me lamatrogine. I instantly felt amazing. My anxiety was gone for the first time in forever. I was motivated but not overboard motivated. I was able to focus and it felt like my mind calmed down alot. Although, I had a sever allergic reaction to it. I am now too scared to take mood stabilizers and antipsychotics. I asked my doctor over the phone if I could please try an antidepressant. She refuses. I don’t understand! I am not suicidal, i do not feel depressed. I just have a serious social phobia and anxiety and I feel lazy most of the time then i get adrenaline and clean! How can trying an antidepressant cause that much harm? Im extremely self aware and if I feel the slightest bit off, such as feeling depressed or bad thoughts, I would of course call her right away!

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

only mood stabilizers are prescribed for bipolar. never downers or uppers. because the downers could trigger bipolar depression and the uppers could trigger bipolar mania. so they only give drugs that make you flat. the bad side of those drugs is they can flatten other things out too.

S

SukuLaku

Antidepressants can induce mania if you have bipolar. You shouldn't take them without a mood stabilizer.

J

Jetaime97

only mood stabilizers are prescribed for bipolar. never downers or uppers. because the downers could trigger bipolar depression and the uppers could trigger bipolar mania. so they only give drugs that make you flat. the bad side of those drugs is they can flatten other things out too.
Does it really sound like bipolar to you though? I mean I get an adrenaline rush for a while thats the only thing thats seems close to bipolar.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

Does it really sound like bipolar to you though? I mean I get an adrenaline rush for a while thats the only thing thats seems close to bipolar.
people new to bipolar can think the mania is good. they want more of it. but the doctor wont let you.

best way to tell if its real mania is if the sleep amount and depth is reduced. if you are still deep sleeping a solid 8 hours then its probobly not mania

J

Jetaime97

people new to bipolar can think the mania is good. they want more of it. but the doctor wont let you.

best way to tell if its real mania is if the sleep amount and depth is reduced. if you are still deep sleeping a solid 8 hours then its probobly not mania
I do sleep a full 8 hours! Even though I have that adrenaline rush I am still able to make my self sleep and even then I feel like I could sleep a whole day. Thats what I am trying to tell her. From what I have read and seen I can’t see how this is bipolar.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

I do sleep a full 8 hours! Even though I have that adrenaline rush I am still able to make my self sleep and even then I feel like I could sleep a whole day. Thats what I am trying to tell her. From what I have read and seen I can’t see how this is bipolar.
the sleep must be equal in length and depth. every night.

if the sleep is reduced in any way then it could be mania

if the sleep is 100% equally good then its probably not mania

so you need to watch for this over time. and do a proper check of the sleep condition.

J

Jetaime97

the sleep must be equal in length and depth. every night.

if the sleep is reduced in any way then it could be mania

if the sleep is 100% equally good then its probably not mania

so you need to watch for this over time. and do a proper check of the sleep condition.
I definitely know every single night since I was young I felt like I couldn’t wake up. I get 8 hours every night only because I have to wake up for my daughter. If it wasn’t for her I would be still sleeping 15 hours a night. I think I am going to ask my doctor to be reevaluated. I think she took some things I said the wrong way.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

I definitely know every single night since I was young I felt like I couldn’t wake up. I get 8 hours every night only because I have to wake up for my daughter. If it wasn’t for her I would be still sleeping 15 hours a night. I think I am going to ask my doctor to be reevaluated. I think she took some things I said the wrong way.
well now she will think u might be lying in order to get more mania from her lol

J

Jetaime97

well now she will think u might be lying in order to get more mania from her lol
Omg lol I am not that type of person. All I want is my social phobia to be reduced from this. I don’t care if I have no motivation. I don’t care If I get adrenaline to clean. All i care about is I can’t leave my house due to fear

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Lamotrigine, did you have SJS?

Mood stabilisers - there are different types.

Lamotrigine is an anticonvulsant. I don't see how you could have the same reaction to a different mood stabiliser, but your doctor will advise you.

Other mood stabilisers may make you feel just as good.
Lithium is one option that is most commonly taken
There are other anticonvulsants
Also there are antipsychotics

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

Omg lol I am not that type of person. All I want is my social phobia to be reduced from this. I don’t care if I have no motivation. I don’t care If I get adrenaline to clean. All i care about is I can’t leave my house due to fear
if you have an adrenaline disorder then u might need to talk to doctor about thyroid or something

Blue Opal

Blue Opal

I have social anxiety (actually, I have avoidant personality disorder but that's kind of the same thing) and I've taken antidepressants in the past, they didn't help with the SA at all.

Ruma55

Ruma55

I was thinking it sounded like a rushed, possibly inaccurate diagnosis. To diagnose someone bipolar 1 solely because they report a few days of lots of energy seems irresponsible. Most doctors take years or months to fully diagnose type 1 bipolar disorder, unless there’s a major manic episode occurring.

Ruma55

Ruma55

I have social anxiety (actually, I have avoidant personality disorder but that's kind of the same thing) and I've taken antidepressants in the past, they didn't help with the SA at all.
Some antidepressants are better for anxiety than others. My doctor put me on Viibryd which is hailed as an antidepressant that’s really good for anxiety too. It’s really helped my compulsive worrying about things that haven’t happened, like worrying all night about my kids getting into a car accident or something. I used to cry all weekend when they’d go to their dad’s because I was sure I’d never see them again. Viibryd has all but stopped the obsessing, although like any bipolar person should, I take it with a good mood stabilizer.