• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Doctor wants to change my antidepressant

D

DD040894

I am using venlafaxine 300mg a day for few years. For half a year I am going intensively to psychotherapy. Now I feel stable but still depressed, especially in morning and when weather is bad. My dr wants to change it to duloxetine while in my head there is still maprotilin(I used it before for a few months and it was only AD that helped me, but I was without psychotherapy then). Actually I am affraid to change AD, I am scared that I am just gonna get worse. Your experiences with maprotilin and duloxetine?

bpd2020

bpd2020

What is the reason your doctor wants to change it?

bpd2020

bpd2020

Okay stupid me. I realise it is because you are still depressed. I have not tried either of those but everybody reacts differently to medication. I can understand you feel afraid to try a new one but there is hope it can be really helpful.

N

natalie

If you haven't experienced, any side effects, or you haven't felt unwell further on this med, then, I don;'t understand why, they should wish to alter your medication. And also you are now having therapy, I would go back and say look, you feel stablised, on this med, i would like to stick with it.

Let us know how you'll get on, I can sympathise about the weather, I am in the same boat, thouigh I just have low mood, not actual depression problems, thankfully and certainly not.

Best regards.

D

DD040894

Okay stupid me. I realise it is because you are still depressed. I have not tried either of those but everybody reacts differently to medication. I can understand you feel afraid to try a new one but there is hope it can be really helpful.
You are not stupid (hug). I am not sure because since she changed my antipsychotic(from olanzapine back to quetiapine), my mood is way more stable, I am losing weight and I started to learn. But I am affraid to change AD, maybe this not good but stable mood will be there for long time, but psychotherapy will make it slowly better. But from recent change of medication I suppose everything can happen, from being much better to being much worse, so I am not sure if I want to risk. I will see what happens in next 3 weeks until I see her.

D

DD040894

If you haven't experienced, any side effects, or you haven't felt unwell further on this med, then, I don;'t understand why, they should wish to alter your medication. And also you are now having therapy, I would go back and say look, you feel stablised, on this med, i would like to stick with it.

Let us know how you'll get on, I can sympathise about the weather, I am in the same boat, thouigh I just have low mood, not actual depression problems, thankfully and certainly not.

Best regards.
I will see what happens in next 3 weeks. I know that I had so traumatic life and I can't expect to be perfectly well. I hope this stable state will go further and psychotherapy will make it slowly but progressively better. My wishes.

Best regards also.