• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Doctor upped my sertraline despite it making me hypo manic

C

Clancy82

Hi since the doctor upped my sertraline I've been getting these symptoms, he upped them from 50 to 100mg, I complained to the doctor and gave him my symptoms and he upped the sertraline to 150mg and referred me to social services

These are my symptoms-

Amazing happiness
Can't keep still/had to pace
Finding things hilarious
Clapping
Singing everything
Talking out loud when alone/answering my own questions
Wanting to jump about
Very confident
Thinking I was indestructible
Racing thoughts
Having to talk to people
Became loud and imagining I needed a microphone to get heard
Trouble sleeping
This was for two days then
Agitation
Feeling sad
Feeling happy
Had to get agitation and pent up energy out by getting on hands and knees and scrubbing kitchen floor
Aching legs from more fidgeting
Tired but can't sleep as much
Headache
Everything looked brighter and clearer
Noises seemed louder and annoying
Seeing things out of corner of my eye
Jumpy and sounds
Sad feeling while watching a film with my son and innocent people got killed I thought what's the point in life
Feeling like I could jump off the roof or walk into traffic and not get hurt because I feel that great
Feeling sick
Slight paranoid thoughts
Gritting teeth

They've calmed down a bit now I'm just very low and I get a bit aggetated but I feel that it's not fair what the doctor had done, I'm terrified that once 150mg get into my system I'm going to be even worse as it took a week of taking 100mg before these symptoms started. Any advice? X

S

suzy

Are you on sertraline alone?

Please do go back, ask for another doc if poss was it your GP? I was on sertraline years ago, it was how I got diagnosed as bipolar type 1 and one pdoc said it would have made the switch from hypermania to mania easier.....
Are you diagnosed bipolar? Do try and get a second opinion, take care and go back to docs, I had similar symptoms but I was on it for about 3 months before my main episode hit. I think I was far too happy but as undiagnosed bipolar back then it was easily missed, as well I was happy so thought they were working great!! My GP gave me sertraline for depression

C

Clancy82

Well since the doc upped it to 150mg a day I've gone even worse, I scared my mum with my symptoms, I couldn't sit still, I felt so much energy I could scream, I wanted to injure myself with something I saw at my mums, I could never fully describe the energy I have. It's the most intense feeling ever. It comes and goes and I feel down then euphoric and agitated. I'm getting so stressed about it. I'm also waking up with the most horrible nightmares every night and sweating then I can't get back to sleep. They're going to up it to 200mg next week as well. So so so fed up with it. I'm tempted to just stop it all together and never go back to the docs again because they're not listening. Yes just taking sertraline nothing else x

Last edited by a moderator:
S

suzy

That's a concern especially if you are bipolar as anti d in bipolar can trigger hypermania/mania, can you ask to see a diff doc or referral for bipolar assessment?

P.S Stopping altogether can be worse as then it can bring on relapse symotoms, if your GP isnt taking note that they are sending you too high try calling NHS line for help too, try and get another opinion especially from what you are describing. what is the reason the GP put you on sertraline in the first place?

Last edited:
H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
Do you have to take 150mg, and 200mg, it that all the meds you have? Can you half the 200mg if that is the case?
I would take a doctors advice as that advice and do what I think is right for me.

H

Haley

Clancy82, hi there, I'm so sorry you are experiencing disruption of your natural energy. You need to realize not every doctor is a great doctor. If the first mechanic doesn't fix your car right after three tries, you get another mechanic. You are rightly noticing that there is simple cause and effect going on.