Doc Denied My SSRI Refill

K

kasakwest

Hello everyone,

This is my very first post, as I am brand new here. Never registered on a mental health forum but have read some mental health forum threads in the past.

First, a little background- I have a history of depression with some anxiety leading to occasional panic attacks. I was only officially diagnosed postpartum, after my first child was born but definitely had serious bouts since puberty. I tried to go off and on medication- different SSRIs- but I recently accepted and came to terms with the fact that I will always need help for my chemical imbalance and that's ok! I decided this because over the last few years, my depression and anxiety have gotten worse and I realized that it's a constant struggle. I also have a lot of issues to work out in therapy.

That all being said, I have been on Lexapro for a few years now. (Lowest 20 mg dose that I believe isn't high enough or needs to be mixed with something else but that's besides the point. I also had the WORST side effects for the first 3 months but they petered off and that's besides the point as well!) I was prescribed by my regular doctor, as I have moved and am not currently in treatment with a psychologist but intend to find one soon. I had run out of refills so I used the automated "contact my doctor for me" option from Walgreens- like I have always done, anytime I run out of refills. When I went to go pick it up, I found out that my doctor denied the refill with no explanation and no one called to tell me! It was 9pm this evening and I tried to have the on-call doc paged at the office and the answering service person told me she isn't supposed to page the doctor if it is for a refill.

This made me experience a panic attack, which surprised me because I have skipped a day by accident a handful of times and never really worried too much. Has anyone had this happen to them before? I have been really down lately and exhausted and I am just feeling like I don't have anyone to talk to about this. I'm a mom in the suburbs and I don't know anyone else who is depressed and on antidepressants. Just looking for people to share with on here.

Thanks for listening!!!
-K

Vintage

Vintage

Hi

I was wondering if you have been going for your medication reviews because that may be why your script was not re-filled. Whatever the reason is, it is likely to be a prescribing rule they have to adhere to, so i would check first with them.

K

kasakwest

Thanks, Vintage. I figured that's all it was but it still didn't make sense. I went in to see the Doc in April and said everything was working well with meds and in the three years I've been on it, I never had to go in like that. Anyway, I called and sure enough, she wants to see me again. And of course, I was just informed that she's not in my network anymore. I have the worst insurance!

I was just feeling panicked and wanted to reach out to people on here. Been feeling very alone lately so I appreciate the response. Take care.

Mike'sSister

Mike'sSister

They usually only give out a certain number on months, then you go back for evaluation and get a new prescription, with again only a certain number of refills... so that they can see if that medication is working right for you... there is definitely a reason why you have no more refills, Vintage is right, you have to go to the doc.

Mike'sSister

Mike'sSister

Wow, that really sucks... I can totally relate to the insurance crap... I'd be on insurance phone !!! Good luck!

K

kasakwest

Thank you, Mike'sSister. I knew that was usually the case and it totally makes sense but my doctor never seemed to follow procedure. I would usually wind up going in a few times a year so she just asked me about it then. So it caught be off guard and I wasn't prepared. Ran out of meds today. Anyway, I made an appointment for next week and they are giving me a emergency supply to get me until then. As far as insurance goes...don't get me started!!! Thanks for your response!

Mike'sSister

Mike'sSister

So glad for you Kasakwest!! Yes I know the frickin' insurance thing is a real pain... But I'm glad you got a supply to get you through!! :D Oh, and welcome to the forum! LOL sorry, got caught up in the moment!

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

Hello everyone,

This is my very first post, as I am brand new here. Never registered on a mental health forum but have read some mental health forum threads in the past.

First, a little background- I have a history of depression with some anxiety leading to occasional panic attacks. I was only officially diagnosed postpartum, after my first child was born but definitely had serious bouts since puberty. I tried to go off and on medication- different SSRIs- but I recently accepted and came to terms with the fact that I will always need help for my chemical imbalance and that's ok! I decided this because over the last few years, my depression and anxiety have gotten worse and I realized that it's a constant struggle. I also have a lot of issues to work out in therapy.

That all being said, I have been on Lexapro for a few years now. (Lowest 20 mg dose that I believe isn't high enough or needs to be mixed with something else but that's besides the point. I also had the WORST side effects for the first 3 months but they petered off and that's besides the point as well!) I was prescribed by my regular doctor, as I have moved and am not currently in treatment with a psychologist but intend to find one soon. I had run out of refills so I used the automated "contact my doctor for me" option from Walgreens- like I have always done, anytime I run out of refills. When I went to go pick it up, I found out that my doctor denied the refill with no explanation and no one called to tell me! It was 9pm this evening and I tried to have the on-call doc paged at the office and the answering service person told me she isn't supposed to page the doctor if it is for a refill.

This made me experience a panic attack, which surprised me because I have skipped a day by accident a handful of times and never really worried too much. Has anyone had this happen to them before? I have been really down lately and exhausted and I am just feeling like I don't have anyone to talk to about this. I'm a mom in the suburbs and I don't know anyone else who is depressed and on antidepressants. Just looking for people to share with on here.

Thanks for listening!!!
-K
my MH worsened BECAUSE I was on SSRIs.

this is being reflected in new medical studies also. Big pharma had zero clue what long term use does and now its beginning to appear as if it causes brain chemistry to get worse.

New Research: Antidepressants Can Cause Long-Term Depression