• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

do your voices identify themselves?

C

corsica

Hello,

Those of you who have read my posts already know that my mother, a voice hearer for last 4-5 years has a negative voice that speaks to her. This voice identifies himself as Shiv, or more specifically the deity Shiva in Hinduism, but is malicious.

I'm curious - do the voice(s) that you folks hear have a name? Do they identify themselves?

let me know. Thanks!

R

rabina

Corsica,
The one voice I have heard did identify itself a long time ago and only one time.
It's name doesn't matter to me and I never address the voice by its name either because it repulses me also.
It deserves no respect or recognition as being truthful either.
I would advise that your mother not call the voice she hears by the name it gives, but that's my opinion.
These voices speak lies and cause distress so they should not be addressed by the name they give because this just makes them more real and gives them an identity as you say.
They deserve no identity afterall. The voices know one thing and that is to take so why respect them in any way at all; give them no respect at all.
The thing, it, the voice; anything, but a human name.
Remember; tell your mother not to believe a word any voice says.
Once your mother stops giving the voice(s) credibility or importance the negativity won't be so intense for her.
Tell her not to take the voices seriously over and over; this takes time, but then she should feel less threatened and less negativity also which will only help her in dealing with the voices.
The voices also seem to fade Corsica when not given reactions so please help her to understand this.
Take Care...

parker

parker

I think first off you have to ask what is it selling? Would she give this voice the time of day if it was Joe Smith? Let’s say if Joe was a non-famous butcher, a nobody. Would she give it the same time of day as a voice that calls itself the deity Shiv?

I followed a person that had a voice called Mother Mary (that has to be pretty high on the famous deity list) and the things that this voice has put her through. But she still believes that the voice is Mother Mary. But she has gone awol from sending emails and updating her site. So I don’t know what has been up with her for the last year.:(

I had seven voices when mine first came but there was one that stood out that called itself voice box:confused: (strange name) this one put itself higher up than the others, like it was the best. But each voice had a job to do there was the cruel ones and the not so nice ones to the one that looked out for me. This voice I always looked for because it was always nice to me. This is the typical up and down web that they weave, I call this the good cop bad cop routine! :rolleyes:

To answer your question I never call mine voice box, if I ever give it the satisfaction of calling it a name it will be The one that calls itself voice box. But more often it has the name: Piece of Crap :cool:

After I’ve treated it with this kind of respect it has never pushed the name thing anymore

S

SuperZ

Mine would claim to be G*d and then blaspheme G*d in the same moment.
z

I

imported_SNOWVHITE

HI !!!

Giving names to the voices is complete out of discussion because a voice hearer imediately recognizes the adress of specific voices.

It doesn´really matter if you nickname them, so far you have a close familiar relation to them.

If not I will assume that the =Voice(s)= will be challenged to react in this particular case as well, in case you respond.

I think it is advisable not to provoke or to appeal too much if you don´t want to get overwhelmed.

My experiance with voices that get annoiing, is to try to get into contact with them and sooth or order to remain quiet.

It works on my behalve.

I have forbidden my Voice to stress to much though it gives advice in form of affirmative statements or negation.

It is my advisor and reflects my whole personality as my an incarnation of my soul.

Maybe some spiritual techniques or esotheric believe can alliviate.
-But they are" present on call " all the time.

...You´re allways not alone...

R

ryanm

IME, some voices have perfectly imitated close friends. Others are distinct personalities. I gain power over them by sharing their stories with others. I have experienced voices as extremely sophisticated people with complete and individual personalities.

LADYContemno

LADYContemno

My two don't name themselves as anyone famous. Just plain Ray and Mildred.
I address them as such...I was hoping that if I did what they wanted then they'd be pleased with me. That's probably my downfall, I'd do anything to please them.

A

Alittlelost

My voices have identified themelves as Malcom, Macala and recently (last night to be specific) Mr Russian. I have also picked up on a childs voices, however she hasn't given a name as she does not speak to me but tends to giggle a lot (which frightens me sometimes) and talks to the others.

S

saltandpepper

I learned their names by listening to their conversations.
I've always believed the names to be nicknames, not actual.
Sal

keepsafe

keepsafe

I only know who one of my voices is....the others are strangers

A

Ainsworth

nope know none of mine and it was a therapist who asked if they did have names? in the end i named them just so she could keep up with which one i was talking about :unsure:

N

neonmouse

When I could hear them clearer(if I ever could perhaps I was just interpreting random mumblings) I asked for there names and they said they didn't want me to know and that it wasn't important but a few times i heard them address each other my names... when heard them they heard me hearing them(mind loops abound with me) and she said "shit he knows my name" or something like that.

I nicknamed one of the male voices "the pretender" as he made me believe he was someone I used to think of as my enemy as a kid and did during the first few months of my psychosis.... ultimately there all pretenders though.

Cal

Cal

Founding Member
I only really get one voice (normally, i'm not sure if it's him the rest of the time but if i'm ever addressed specifically it's him), he chose the name Viktor Black, it sounds a bit of an ominous name and i think that has something to do with why he chose it, he isn't a nice guy, very protective of me and those i care about but also incredibly dangerous, he has tried to convince me to do things such as set fire to someone that upset a family member of mine, talked me through detailed plans of how to kill a handful of people that had tried to hurt me and even once was trying to talk me into blowing up someone's house because they'd offended me. I never give him the time of day when he starts talking like that though, it pisses him off a little but i can often swing it round so that he sees my side, he doesn't care about going to jail but often accepts that i would hate it and will usually give up if i bring that up, he doesn't accept the argument though that it's a bad thing to do but i think that could be to do with him not being human (it's complicated), another thing that works is reminding him that i (and therefore he also) have more fun not constantly worrying about the consequences of these things. Most of the time though we get along so i see no harm in allowing him his name (he can be quite conversational and will even try and comfort me sometimes, i think he's yet to grasp that concept though), he just has to accept my dominance and realise that when he suggests stupid ideas that i won't entertain them.

D

dlzoidberg

When I asked who they were I would usually get the response "You know who we are".

T

teedoc

Corsica,
I am also an "outsider." I am a therapist. I work with patients whose voices are the result of childhood trauma, usually occurring before age six.
IMO: My experience is that most times, main voices identify themselves in some ways. For my work it is beneficial to know which voice is saying what, so I can learn to know them. I usually utilize their abilities and characteristics in helping the patient.
The patients I have worked with do not have Schizophrenia.
To other members: I am not suggesting you change anything you do as part of your mental health plan.