• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do your meds stop the voices?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Do you find your medication can stop the voices?

I am getting a bit sick of this.

I do not really want to be totally drugged up - but if it kills them off?

V

Viktoria

Mine stop them completely. I used to take haloperidol 6mg but when I'm not depressed I don't get psychotic. So since the depression has been tackled with venlafaxine I now am weaning myself of the haloperidol, currently taking 4mg whereas before I took the venlafaxine when I tried to quit the voices came back at 5mg.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Mine stop them completely. I used to take haloperidol 6mg but when I'm not depressed I don't get psychotic. So since the depression has been tackled with venlafaxine I now am weaning myself of the haloperidol, currently taking 4mg whereas before I took the venlafaxine when I tried to quit the voices came back at 5mg.
I am too chicken to change meds now. I tried it once and it was a disaster.

How do you feel now? Are you more optmistic about life? Or is still hard?

F

flatz

The very strongest pill I've been on was chlorpromazine in the 90's.

These new atypicals are a bit naff, for me they don't stop the voices and they lead me to have a more severe psychosis and hospital sections when I try and stop them.

V

Viktoria

It's still hard but I am more optimistic. When I hear voices they always say such things that mean I have to be in hospital, so anything better than that.
I've recently been through some tough things in my personal life that have got me down but generally I'd say I'm doing a lot better.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I do remember around 10 years ago - I was hearing voices and olanzapine stopped them. but it is not working this time.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

It's still hard but I am more optimistic. When I hear voices they always say such things that mean I have to be in hospital, so anything better than that.
I've recently been through some tough things in my personal life that have got me down but generally I'd say I'm doing a lot better.
I suppose when one problem goes, and another one comes along. glad you are doing better anyway.

V

Viktoria

Olanzapine worked for me too but I gained lots of weight on it. I'm sorry to hear it's not working for you this time round. What happens when you switch meds, if you don't mind me asking?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Olanzapine worked for me too but I gained lots of weight on it. I'm sorry to hear it's not working for you this time round. What happens when you switch meds, if you don't mind me asking?
I switched to Abilify for around a year but I got bad side effects. As if ants were running around in me, very restless. I have heard other people complain about it too.

I don't mind olanzapine, because at least it calms me down, sedates me. I also gained weight, but I think it is generally in control.

V

Viktoria

I had the same on Abilify. I had to get my ex to stop the car so I could walk for a bit because I couldn't sit still.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I had the same on Abilify. I had to get my ex to stop the car so I could walk for a bit because I couldn't sit still.
You have been through the mill. At least you are on the mend now.

What was your diagnosis Viktoria?

V

Viktoria

Depression with psychosis (is that the same as psychotic depression?)

W

wellness

This is what I have come to discover from my own personal experience --
1. The current regime of Anti-Psychotics do NOT Kill any Voices
2. These meds only Sedates and Calms down the Voices
3. The Voces end up Killing themselves ...
4. So if you have Voices and DONT take meds you will find them to be in a highly agitated state .... take
then meds and keep them under Control !
Cheerio !!

anouska

anouska

The meds certainly help me. Mine were so loud a couple of weeks back. They now come in waves & some days none at all.

They've quietened down a lot & I've actually found the voices to turn from derogatory to quite pleasant.