• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Do your dreams have a regular theme?

F

firemonkee57

A regular theme of my recalled dreams is getting lost. This time it revolved around getting lost in NY while shopping with family and ending up wandering further and further from the city centre in the pouring rain. I was derealised and seemed to have lost time.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Sounds like quite an anxious dream, Monkee.

I seem to keep missing trains (or planes, though not so often) in my dreams and feel really panicked and upset that I won't be able to get home. It seems a huge task to be able to find an alternative means of transport.

For a while this theme went away, but it's come back this week. :(
Still, i'd rather that than the trauma-related nightmares which is the other recurring 'theme' of my dreams. :(

L

Laura18

Since I was little every few years I have a dream that I'm exploring an abandoned shit scary building and the people I'm with change every time obviously depending on who is relevant in my life at that time, but we're always in the same place and I always really enjoy the dream. Although I never remember what happens - which is weird because I'm usually a lucid dreamer. - Just that I was there, who I was with and that it was really fun. Weird!
When I was young I used to have nightmares about being in the back of a moving car and not being able to get out?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

When I was young I used to have nightmares about being in the back of a moving car and not being able to get out?
Oh wow, you've just reminded me I had very similar dreams about being in a moving car with no driver at the front and being afraid of crashing.
Learning to drive seemed to put an end to those dreams though.
But what a coincidence - I wonder if that's quite a common dream for children to have?

L

Laura18

Maybe it is! Maybe this is why I'm an awful driver and cry/get terrified every time I'm supposed to have a lesson haha. I seem to remember my brother accidentally wacking and moving something and the car started to move when we were both young and my mum had left us in there and I was really scared. Maybe this is where it stems from although to further add to my delusional state I cannot remember if that was another dream or if it actually happened?! Lol

F

firemonkee57

I think mine relates to my poor sense of direction, strong fear of unfamiliar places and of getting lost and trapped.
I am worrying myself silly over an appointment in 16 days with the Richmond fellowship as it's in a large unfamiliar place.

The appointment is on the 2nd floor of a 9 story building(suite 22) . I don't do well navigating busy,involved buildings, and if it is I can see me having a meltdown.
The idea is to reduce social isolation but if getting in and out of the building is going to stress me out what's the point? It beats me why a mental health charity can't be situated in a more service user friendly place.

C

cherbear

My dreams are often set at night and is often me running away from a terrifying scenario . I know it stems from a horrible experience in my teens . I also have dreams/nightmares that are musicals the last one like that was set to TaylorSwift songs !

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Always!!! some sort of zombie apocalypse usually and they're after me, as I said in a diff thread its like left 4 dead game but so real and the most makes it even more vivid!! Im not scared by these dreams though, quite enjoy them now.

T

Topcat

Used to be tidal waves, but I managed to stop them.
Other recurring themes...
Toilets - all unusable in some way
Going up stairs, down stairs, in lifts etc etc not getting where I'm meant to
Exploring a house and it has secret doors, I have to not be spotted creeping about
Flying dreams. Sometimes very realistic amazing lucid dream, sometimes with a story usually involving people after me to kill me

Lately, they've just been random and weird

BlueBerry

BlueBerry

They usually involve very awkward social interactions with my family and (ex)friends. Usually I do something stupid or insane and it makes me feel very embarassed.
They usually relate to my attachment issues... in my dreams I'm usually trying to be close and friendly to others. Sometimes they respond in kind, sometimes they push me away.

Clearly my dream are a manifistation of my attachment issues and social isolation. I'm also missing the good old days when I had friends. :(

coldwater00

coldwater00

I have had a recurring dream for the last couple of years where I die in a fire. In the dream I am a man, I live in America, or somewhere like that because it's hot and I keep looking across the road in the dream and seeing one of those old fashioned American ice cream vans. I'm a mechanic and I'm working in a shop. I've got a little daughter I keep thinking of, she's got long blonde hair but for some reason I also keep thinking about her mother and feeling hatred towards her. I think I am looking forward to seeing my daughter or something and she is late. I'm repairing these small car/cart things, they look like those dodgems you get at the fair. Then all of a sudden there's flames everywhere, I have this horrible blind panic, I can't see the door. I fall to the floor and remember this overwhelming tiredness come over me. Then I wake up as me.

In another regular dream I am at my Grandmas old house, which is an old farmhouse. It's empty, there's no furniture, the light is very dim and seems to be all black and white shades. Cobwebs everywhere. I am trapped in the house and can't open the door. I sit on the stairs and feel lonely because I know everyone has left and no one is coming home. It's either that or a variation on it where I know people are coming home and I feel I need to get out the house fast and I can't.

Last edited:
LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I have a lot of nightmares about being back at university. While I was there, I was always behinds, and failing my exams. The nightmare has this recurring theme but extends. Sometimes I retake the course, and I have no idea how to do the mathematics so keep failing.

Sometimes I have nightmares of retaking secondary school as an adult. it is all really bizarre and disturbing.

coldwater00

coldwater00

Used to be tidal waves, but I managed to stop them.
Other recurring themes...
Toilets - all unusable in some way
Going up stairs, down stairs, in lifts etc etc not getting where I'm meant to
Exploring a house and it has secret doors, I have to not be spotted creeping about
Flying dreams. Sometimes very realistic amazing lucid dream, sometimes with a story usually involving people after me to kill me

Lately, they've just been random and weird
Interesting you said about toilets. I know it's a banal thing to dream about really, but there is a really distressing dream I sometimes have a lot where I have to use a toilet (a public toilet) and none of them have doors. Some of the toilets are just plonked right next to the sink and they all look filthy but no one else seems to be bothered about it. I just feel so embarrassed in the dream, seeing all these people on the toilet in front of me.

Kerome

Kerome

I have quite a few dreams of being back at work in IT offices, as before my first episode when I worked quite a bit for blue chip companies. So posh offices, big desks, my own computers and things.

pepecat

pepecat

Interesting you said about toilets. I know it's a banal thing to dream about really, but there is a really distressing dream I sometimes have a lot where I have to use a toilet (a public toilet) and none of them have doors.
Glad I"m not the only one that dreams about toilets - I have a recurring one where I need to go, but none of the toilets are private enough - don't have doors, or they're in a huge room and other people are in there, or no walls between them.... or they're not clean or there's no loo roll......

Not that i'm obsessed with toilets, but usually it's about lack of privacy.

When I was younger I used to get the 'teeth falling out' dream and I'd wake up in the morning checking that my teeth were still there - in my dream i had the sensation of loose and fallen out teeth in my mouth - it's horrible.

And I also have a recurring dream where I've lost the use of my legs.

God, the therapist would have a field day with these if i told her.......