• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Do you want to know when and how you're going to die?

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I often think about whether it would be better for me to know when and how I would die, or for it to just happen without my knowing it. Would it be better for me to just die in my sleep, or would I want to know that I'm going to die NOW and this is how I'm going to die? If I'm told I have terminal cancer, would I prefer knowing EXACTLY when I would die, or just let it happen to me without my knowing exactly when it would happen? I'm often torn between which scenario I would prefer (as if I had a choice). But with suicide, I would know when and how. I think I'd like to know when and how I'm going to die as long as it would be painless. If I were to be in a lot of pain, I would want it to just happen without my knowing it.

Jam1990

Jam1990

I definitely would not want to know. Or else I would live my life even more paranoid than I already do. Trying to avoid the thing that kills me would lead to me obsessing about it in order to try and avoid it; especially if it involves a lot of pain.

Very interesting topic.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

When it happens, it happens. In the meantime, we all have to live life and try and make the best of things. Afterwards? We'll all find out one day, every one of us.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

If you knew that would imply supernatural activity which implies existence beyond the material

Ladyfair

Ladyfair

I think knowing would scare me but not knowing scares me too.

R

rawlinsc

I might want to know. That what it gives me timeframe to do my bucklist. If im still a technical virgin by then I want to get a hooker and have intercourse ASAP. Dont want to die a virgin.

PurplePrinny80s

PurplePrinny80s

Nope, and I hope I die doing what I love, riding rollercoasters and laughing my butt off.

floater

floater

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nuclear strike but only if I'm within the vaporisation zone - the logic being the nerves transmitting pain send their signals at 200m/s but the vaporisation will happen at close to the speed of light. So I'm guaranteed a pain free death. Although knowing my sort of luck, it'll probably be more like a monty python sketch on the day...

E

EclipticNight

I would love to know when and how i die, especially if knowing cant change it. I could prepare properly and know i was not going to die before that point. Knowing would not scare me at all, in fact it would be exciting. If it was particularly horrible i could take precautions. If i was unable to change how i was meant to be that day at least i could go out in a more comical way. With a sarcastic comment

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bernard soares

I don’t want to know. i just want to go in my sleep. Death doesn’t bother me at all- In fact I relish the thought. The thought of complete oblivion (which I’m hoping it to be) is a great comfort to me. I just don’t want to suffer on my way there. A long drawn out illness terrifies me

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

I don’t want to know. i just want to go in my sleep. Death doesn’t bother me at all- In fact I relish the thought. The thought of complete oblivion (which I’m hoping it to be) is a great comfort to me. I just don’t want to suffer on my way there. A long drawn out illness terrifies me
I have Faith that there is more, but if I'm wrong and this is all there is I'm not afraid of oblivion. Even the universe will eventually cease to exist, all the planets, stars and moons will succumb to the ravages of time and Quantum Mechanics. Matter will decompose into it's most basic forms-which will eventually turn into pure energy. And then maybe someday, untold years after that-it will all start again? We'll be long, long gone.

J

jsmacks

I often think about whether it would be better for me to know when and how I would die, or for it to just happen without my knowing it. Would it be better for me to just die in my sleep, or would I want to know that I'm going to die NOW and this is how I'm going to die? If I'm told I have terminal cancer, would I prefer knowing EXACTLY when I would die, or just let it happen to me without my knowing exactly when it would happen? I'm often torn between which scenario I would prefer (as if I had a choice). But with suicide, I would know when and how. I think I'd like to know when and how I'm going to die as long as it would be painless. If I were to be in a lot of pain, I would want it to just happen without my knowing it.

That would be a cool superpower id think. If you knew exactly when, it would let you know how you could live prior until death.