Do you think there are two types of depression?

B

bpbl2010

The type of depression that reflects a problem or situation you're facing, and that could be relieved by solving that problem or situation, and or getting optimistic could simply relieve that problem and make you feel a little bit better, at least. Then there is this other depression that's just un explainable. It feels like there's this black hole your'e being sucked into and nothing seemingly can relieve it. You have no hope and optimism about life. Live just seems worthless, and you question it constantly. You always feel sad for no reason, even though there are a few happy moments where sunshine decides to shine in that black hole you're in, but there are far and few in between you're lengthy depression episodes.

I've experienced that second one for as long as I could remember, although, I had a few "euphoric" moments, where I feel on top of the world for no reason.

Do you think there two types of depression like I stated or all of them wrapped up into one?

Do you think I could have Bipolar disorder?

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya and :welcome: to the forum. There are three types of depression, mild, moderate and severe. The first two, whilst causing a lot of suffering, can be managed with therapy and IMO helped with anti depressants. some people though don't even think they should have them but rather sort out the problem.

Severe depression, which sounds more like you are describing, whilst it can be helped with therapy as well and well treated, may need more intervention to relieve the symptoms. Usually, that is in the forum of anti depressants and regular visits to a GP. If it gets into dangerous territory, ie suicidal, then a psychiatrist may be needed. However, if it is helped before it gets to that level, it can be alleviated in other ways.

You can actually get to a level so low that you couldn't even commit suicide - I had that level once. You are so demotivated, so withdrawn, you couldn't contemplate it.

Having the odd euphoric episode could be the brain taking a "holiday" from the over whelming feelings. If they are so grindingly awful, sometimes the mind will flip over. No-one and certainly not me, can diagnose you on a forum, obviously. Bipolar is a lot more that just having the odd euphoric episode - and its not for the faint hearted (I am diagnosed bipolar!).

I am sorry you are suffering so much. My answer has been based on your question, but I send my best regards. xxx

B

bpbl2010

thank you so much!

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
hi
I find I have 2 types
one is more my brain ,chemical and one my mind ,psychological
the first I believe to be hereditary and why I take medication to help ,the second more about me and my personality and the things that have happened ,that ive witnessed during my life
I know this isn't really what you were asking!!
and im sorry if my post makes no sense!!
hugs and welcome to the forum
xx

mrlaurel

mrlaurel

dozens I'd say in all form and styles, everyone is different and "your" depression is yours and can only every be yours...

if that makes any sense?

I know mine has changed many times over the years, even weeks, in the last three weeks I have felt many different lows.

stan

pepecat

pepecat

I can certainly relate to the type of depression where you can't even commit suicide. You want to, but you don't have the energy, the motivation, the ability to plan, think, even DO anything about it. When you can hardly get off the sofa, there's no way you're going to be able to do anything about killing yourself.

I'm not sure there are different types of depression.... more different degrees of it, as Calypso said. It's hard to say what 'causes' one person's depression to be mild and another one's to be severe.... it's hard to tell. Things affect people in different ways - some people can take all sorts of crap while someone else gets floored by it. That's not a criticism at all - my partner and i get stressed by completely different things and it affects us in different ways.

Have you ever had any kinda of counselling or therapy to explore why you might be feeling like this?

N

nowhereland

Hi bpbl,

I can relate to a lot of what you said. I've been wondering myself lately about situational depression vs the unexplainable type. I guess if there really are two different types like this then the line between them must be very blurry, certainly as far as actual feelings go. But I still find myself wanting to catagorise my own depression into one of these two types; if it's situational then I need to change my situation, but if it's unexplainable than maybe another approach is in order. I've certainly suffered with the unexplainable type in the past, but that doesn't mean what I feel now isn't situational...

Sorry, going off on a bit of a tangent there. I've also had a few moments that could be considered "euphoric" (quite rare and never lasts long). I guess my psychiatrist probably would have told me if that meant I was bipolar.

M

metamorph

ild say theres more than two with i would of thought reactive being the most common of them..which i would say mine is i think.

B

BeingHuman

I think there is a depression that most people will experience and it will be a reaction to problems e.g. Job loss, divorce, death, etc. But it will be more extreme than a general sadness that is natural to occur at these points.

And I think there's another few types one which is constant although there may be times the person is less depressed (where they go from mild to moderate to severe) and just circle around and recurrent depression which goes away and comes back.

Interestingly the recurrent type used to be defined as manic depression (depressive types) I think this was DSM 1 or 2. This is because at that point they pinpointed manic depression as cycling mood rather than the current definition of bipolar.

There is also a term called "double depression" where someone has a naturally depressed temperament and has recurrent depression as well.

There is still research and debate in which types are which and what spectrum they fall into.