• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Do you think my uncle has schizophrenia

T

Tom2020

It runs in our family. My uncle, well great uncle (75 years old) is smelling things that are not there. Believes neighbors are trying to kill him by poisoning his food. Everytime he gets acid reflux, he blamed the neighbors for doing this to him. He keeps talking about a smell that nobody else can smell. I smell nothing. He thinks it is a chemical being spayed into his house by the neighbor.

We (family) keep telling him there is no smell. That the acid reflux is from what he is eating: Coffee, eggs, cake. And nobody is trying to kill him. I met the neighbor. Seems like a nice guy. But he is stubborn. Refuses to believe it is in his head. We all worry about him. If you say anything, he hates you and avoids you for month. You have to believe him or else. Do you think he has schizophrenia? And if yes, what do we do? He will never see a mental doctor and if he does see one... he makes his murder plot story more believable. And the doctor believes him and does not do anything. We can not go with him because we fear he might hate us or have a heart attack from family not believing.

Please help. I do not want to lose my uncle.

Thank you.

Ras

Ras

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Stop telling him it isn't real and just in his head for one. If he is having delusions, they are very real to him and telling him otherwise is a sure way to get him to distrust you.

Has he done anything where you think he is a danger to himself or others?

T

Tom2020

Stop telling him it isn't real and just in his head for one. If he is having delusions, they are very real to him and telling him otherwise is a sure way to get him to distrust you.

But he is getting worse. It started with smells. Now it is with poisoning. Now he keeps calling the cops on the neighbor. Nothing happens, of course. There is no proof. I never even smelled it. He wants to call the news to do a story on the man and ruin his life accusing him of murder.

As for how this is effecting him: He can no longer sleep. He keeps smelling things. All he talks about. Can not even enjoy anything anymore. Sleeps 2-3 hours a night. He has severe anxiety from all of this. His blood pressure goes up and he has heart conditions. We fear this can effect him physically.

T

Tom2020

And I understand what you mean that is real to him. I never said they were not. I believe it is real to him.

I just worry about him about his heart condition. It can effect it and I fear that.

Ras

Ras

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have had delusions of almost the exact thing but instead of neighbours it was the police. Anyone who told me what I wasn't experiencing I lashed out at them and starting believing they were in on it. I stopped eating all together and basically got so Ill that I was hospitalised involuntary for several months.

If you and family are concerned for him, maybe inquire what you can do for him with a professional in mental health field that lives locally to you. I honestly don't know how that works as I have never been on that side of things but I'm sure there is something that can be done to help him.
He will not like it and I'm sure will fight it but sounds like he certainly needs some help

Bipolarbear808

Bipolarbear808

It runs in our family. My uncle, well great uncle (75 years old) is smelling things that are not there. Believes neighbors are trying to kill him by poisoning his food. Everytime he gets acid reflux, he blamed the neighbors for doing this to him. He keeps talking about a smell that nobody else can smell. I smell nothing. He thinks it is a chemical being spayed into his house by the neighbor.

We (family) keep telling him there is no smell. That the acid reflux is from what he is eating: Coffee, eggs, cake. And nobody is trying to kill him. I met the neighbor. Seems like a nice guy. But he is stubborn. Refuses to believe it is in his head. We all worry about him. If you say anything, he hates you and avoids you for month. You have to believe him or else. Do you think he has schizophrenia? And if yes, what do we do? He will never see a mental doctor and if he does see one... he makes his murder plot story more believable. And the doctor believes him and does not do anything. We can not go with him because we fear he might hate us or have a heart attack from family not believing.

Thank you.
Hi Tom2020,

I'm really sorry you're going through this, it must be really hard on you watching a loved one struggle so much. I watched my grandmother suffer from dementia and slowly deteriorate, so I can imagine what its like.

Do you think you could get your uncle to see a normal doctor? I say that because 75 is really old to be showing signs of schizophrenia. Normally I think people start showing signs in their 20's - 30's. At that age there could be physical conditions that could look like a mental health disorder. One disease that I can think of that also can have hallucinations and delusions is Parkinson's disease. I'm not saying I think he has Parkinson's, but at 75 he might have health conditions that are contributing to his delusions. It also might be easier to get him to see a psychiatrist if his primary doctor refers him.

That just my opinion, hope it helped.

jajingna

jajingna

It's possible he has "very late-onset" schizophrenia or "schizophrenia-like psychosis"

K

Krissybabe2020

I feel the same as you're uncle I feel my neighbor is from big brother and is poisoning my food too. I also feel I have secret windows and when I leave a drink in 1 room and go to another room then I cant go back to the drink incase my neighbor crawled through my window and opened it from the outside and drugged my drink.

You need to tell you're uncle that he is not very well at the moment and give him as much love and support as possible. Maybe ask him to contact a crisis team to talk things through when his beliefs are very real. Then I would try and contact the community mental health team xxx

K

karl7

Thank you.
pesonally i think anti psychotics would help him....try to encourage him to see a psychiatrist or general doctor....a general doctor would refer him on

K

karl7

also like the other poster say, i wouldnt argue with him about his delusions.....just listen....also you are more likely to gain his trust and he would more likely go along with you....it appears to me that he is on the psychosis spectrum....trust me psychosis is easier to recover from than schzipohrenia