• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Do you think I have depression?

musicqueen

musicqueen

So heres the story. I'm 21 years old and left my job awhile ago because I was really unhappy there. Things haven't changed I'm still unhappy and everyday I'm crying. I just feel like whats the point to life anymore. Where has my 21 years of life got me nowhere. I can't handle it putting on a big fake smile everyday. Everyone seems to think I'm fine and they don't realize how upset I am. I feel like they should have picked up on it by now. To me my future looks bleak maybe because I know I've made the wrong career choice. I've never told this to anyone as I feel like I have no one to talk to.

Thanks to anyone who gives me some help/advice.

raven

raven

So heres the story. I'm 21 years old and left my job awhile ago because I was really unhappy there. Things haven't changed I'm still unhappy and everyday I'm crying. I just feel like whats the point to life anymore. Where has my 21 years of life got me nowhere. I can't handle it putting on a big fake smile everyday. Everyone seems to think I'm fine and they don't realize how upset I am. I feel like they should have picked up on it by now. To me my future looks bleak maybe because I know I've made the wrong career choice. I've never told this to anyone as I feel like I have no one to talk to.

Thanks to anyone who gives me some help/advice.
It sounds like you are really having trouble at the moment. It also sounds a lot like depression although i pause at taring you with that brush. I think it would be a good idea to go to your GPs and talk through how you are feeling with them. You could take a print out of what you put with you to show them. You can always change your career choice, nothing is set in stone. You can talk to us, it might help a bit?

*gentle hugs*

raven

J

jamesdean

Things certainly dont sound good music queen(love your name) I think that raven has given you some good advice,I hope that you can find this forum supportive take care regards JD:hug:

musicqueen

musicqueen

Thanks guys. I would like to see my GP but I'm scared to tell her what I'm feeling. I live with my parents so when ever I see my GP they want to know the reason why I'm going. They only thing getting me through everything is music that's why my username is musicqueen.

musicqueen

musicqueen

I'm really into pop/rock bands like Good Charlotte, 30 Seconds To Mars, Simple Plan, Green Day, Blink 182 and that list could go on forever :)

SimonB

SimonB

Hi Musicqueen,

Just reading your thread.

Its is difficult, often I still get anxious about seeing my GP, psychiatrist and so on and I've been through the mill a few times now.

The first step was hard, and of course it doesn't make you feel good having enquiring parents sometimes, they're probably worried that your ok.

Do you have any friends that can be of help....that is can you confide in someone outside of home as a source of support?? It is difficult to gauge how parents will react if you tell them, but I think most wil want their children to be happy in life.....what do you think?

S

steppy

Hello musicqueen,

Hope it helps talking things through on this site!
It sounds like you lost your confidence a bit? Maybe it was being worn down whilst you were in that job and now that you have come out of it, its as though you were mentally torn apart? and now you are releasing the anxiety, pain or anger or all that you feel hence the crying. I wonder, if you have maybe lost some self-esteem? Have faith in yourself. even though I dont know you, I think everyone has something and you can do whatever you want, you just have to make it happen. you sound like a fun person and someone who understands where they are, even if you are feeling low at the moment. Like Raven said, nothing is set in stone in your career, and that's true at any age. I think it sounds like you had a lot invested in that job, but it's never too late to find something else, especially if you have time. I think you should take note of the experiences you have and note the positive things. You can only move on from here and it's clear that music is important to keep you going. You have a lot to offer. :)
I defo think it would help to talk to someone close to you. Don't be afraid to approach the GP. You can leave if you want to, you dont have to be there if you start to feel uncomfortable. Do you think it would help to talk to your parents?

S

starfish

musicqueen

you do seem to be having a rough time of it. i agree with the others, you need someone you can confide in. be brave and try and visit your gp, you dont need to tell your parents, just tell them your off to visit a friend at first. see how you get on and tell your parents when you feel ready and able. we all need some privacy at times.

musicqueen

musicqueen

Just Jack I read your post and you are so right when you say "The thought of having to sit in front of another human being and speaking about all this deeply personal stuff terrified me. Typing it all down and telling it to strangers was easy, to do it in front of people face to face was to me something completely different" that is just how I feel. I feel relived telling people on this forum my feelings like at least someone out there knows what I'm feeling and that other people feel the same way. I know everything is just going to get worse if I don't tell someone close to me.
I think apart of me doesn't know what I want and where I want to go in life since leaving my job. People may just think I'm only 21 but for me I'm running out of time. If things don't change soon I don't what I'm going to do. From what I've read on the Internet all the signs are there. I'm going abroad next Thursday so I have that to look forward to. Hopefully when I come back I will have plucked up the courage to tell somebody.