• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Do you think I could possibly have Avoidant personality disorder?

M

minaseesee

I am 18 and I have been depressed for over 2 years now and I also have terrible anxiety with social situations and have since I've been pretty young. I've been to doctors lately and I have been reffered to counsellor which I will go to see in a couple of weeks.

The symptoms that I feel include; being very scared with meeting new people, social withdrawal (I don't go out much), I have a few close friends but I end up pushing them away eventually due to my insecurities, I find it difficult making new friends, never been in a relationship because whenever I get close to someone I push them away because I believe they couldn't possibly like me, I have low self confidence, I am very shy, I get very worried about being judged and also I have that maladaptive daydream thingy and I have had that for many years now and I'm always on the defence because I don't want to get hurt.

Other symptoms that I feel include; Many mood swings throughout the day, they are uncontrollable and when someone makes a comment about me being too hyper I lash out and get real depressed and feel like crying (this confuses me)

Anyway, does anyone know if I possibly have this disorder?

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya and Welcome to the Forum

Minaseesee, all you describe sounds like depression and anxiety actually. No-one on here can diagnose, but that particular PD is not common and I am not even sure if it really exists. I would go to the therapist and see how you go honey.

May I suggest you don't read a load of diagnoses and try to find one to fit you. Its like reading a medical Dictionary and finding you fit the symptoms for brain tumour, Multiple schlerosis etc when actually you have a severe headache and need to sleep more. None of us are any good at diagnosing ourselves because we don't have the experience and don't have the knowledge of all the bits not in the common diagnosis lists.

I am not belittling your experiences, but it sounds like you have issues from childhood which need looking at and help to come to terms with. As for repeated behaviours, that is common to a lot of us on here. It is a sign that we have not come to terms with things, and need help.

I hope this helps. Do keep posting on here though. We would like to know how you get on. xxx

R

Rose19602

Former member
also I have that maladaptive daydream thingy and I have had that for many years now

I agree with Calypso. I think you need to see your GP and discuss it all. Those PD descriptions are very easy to apply!

I answered because I wanted to know what you meant by the words in the quote above?
Just being nosey but what is that maladaptive daydream thing?
x

M

minaseesee

Thank you for advice both of you :)

Maladaptive daydreams are when you create fantasies in your mind and you spend awful amounts of times creating stories and daydreaming. It's a coping mechanism and escapism from reality :)

B

becky_jase

Former member
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I agree. I would advise you go and see your GP. This way, they can offer you proper support that you need.

Good luck and I hope you get the support that you need.