• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Do you think gender actually matters when diagnosing someone?

S

SicklyBloom

I'm a 21 year old female who happens to have somatic forms of depression which I found are more common in men. I don't think I have any hormonal issues because it has been happening for years. I have tendency to act out and can be quick to anger. Is there validity to how I react to depression despite being pigeon holed to feel otherwise? I also have BPD traits so that can be way I have different symptoms. Plus, I do get chronic pain and frequent headaches during or after a depressive episode. Thoughts?

Antimatter

Antimatter

I am over twice your age, sensitive caring male.

These days, so much emphasis is put on labels, gendering, identifying as, offending me - how do I cope!

I am understanding, empathetic and half educated. At least one of the current problems is that young and confused people who need support, care, comfort and direction seem to be flooded with options they do not even understand, in a World that is difficult and complicated.

Obsevation and a thought.

P

Prycejosh1987

I would say naturally yes, because women are more emotional when it comes to depression. However there are men out there that are emotional too. I would say it depends on the person. Self analysis is important for anything in this life.

S

SicklyBloom

I am over twice your age, sensitive caring male.

These days, so much emphasis is put on labels, gendering, identifying as, offending me - how do I cope!

I am understanding, empathetic and half educated. At least one of the current problems is that young and confused people who need support, care, comfort and direction seem to be flooded with options they do not even understand, in a World that is difficult and complicated.

Obsevation and a thought.
I honestly agree that the opposite is happening. I only asked because I'm curious if it ever really mattered in the first place. I'm also curious because I have somatic symptoms like irritability and detachment. I feel like those who are in gender politics who claim gender is irrelevant are the same people who genderize everything. I think I can be reassured that I'm a young woman who is just quick to anger than easily saddened. That's okay.