• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Do you think being depressed is a made up thing your brain creates or is it real?

kingkylie

kingkylie

In 2018 I know my life has changed a lot because of some events which made me, until today, feels and see differently about life, I think it was the year I really experienced depression. BUT I was and tbh until now is still not sure whether I am depressed or not because thought out my life I've always been a happy person, even during bad days I've always managed thru it and become a happy person again. So now, since 2018, many times, I have questioned a lot about the point of living because during my bad times I seem to be giving up on it - I don't see any point of living even after try to read a bunch of articles about why it matters.

Basically, I just don't know whether I am depressed or no? Is it just in my head? Or what? I try to tell this to my friend or even mom but all I get from them was that it's just a made up thing in my mind. Is it true?

Someone_alone

Someone_alone

Depression is yes a mental thing but mental things are real if that makes sense, Iv been where you are and I know its hard to see hope in bad days or the point in living but there is a reason you just need to find it, whether you do in a month or a couple of years please don't give up, try see the magic in the world, try focusing on the beauty around you and the amazing mysteries of life, I try see my down periods as times of growth and id never take any of my bad experiences away if I could because they made me the strong person I am today, Its all about the mindset we carry with us <3 I hope this helped :)

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hello kingkylie. I do not think you are making up feeling depressed. You said you have often felt like giving up on life. That is a sign you have felt very depressed. Sadly, a lot of people do not understand depression which maybe why your friend and mum reacted that way.

kingkylie

kingkylie

Hello kingkylie. I do not think you are making up feeling depressed. You said you have often felt like giving up on life. That is a sign you have felt very depressed. Sadly, a lot of people do not understand depression which maybe why your friend and mum reacted that way.
Hi bpd2020, thank you for the reply, this just validates me that maybe I am depressed so then I can take a step to help myself. Thank you

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi bpd2020, thank you for the reply, this just validates me that maybe I am depressed so then I can take a step to help myself. Thank you
You are so welcome. I am really happy you feel motivated to get support. That is a wonderful sign. :)

kingkylie

kingkylie

Depression is yes a mental thing but mental things are real if that makes sense, Iv been where you are and I know its hard to see hope in bad days or the point in living but there is a reason you just need to find it, whether you do in a month or a couple of years please don't give up, try see the magic in the world, try focusing on the beauty around you and the amazing mysteries of life, I try see my down periods as times of growth and id never take any of my bad experiences away if I could because they made me the strong person I am today, Its all about the mindset we carry with us <3 I hope this helped :)
Hi there! Thank you for the reply and sharing the experience... Yeah when the bad days come, it really is just hard to see a better side of things

Someone_alone

Someone_alone

Hi there! Thank you for the reply and sharing the experience... Yeah when the bad days come, it really is just hard to see a better side of things
Understandable its always hard to see why something bads happening when it is but reflecting on situations afterward, think about what made you feel bad and what could be done next time to prevent those feelings

kingkylie

kingkylie

Understandable its always hard to see why something bads happening when it is but reflecting on situations afterward, think about what made you feel bad and what could be done next time to prevent those feelings
I know that at some point I will get over the 'bad days' but that doesn't make me see life any better too tho. I would just won't think of it too much or be drowned in the sad feeling, but I do still know that it's going to be a boring meaningless life in the future. Do you also have that?

AnxiousE

AnxiousE

Yes, your depression is valid. You may be in remission for a time, but can get depressed again if something triggers you, which is probably what happened now. And depression doesn't have to mean you are sad. You can have other symptoms of depression and still be happy about things (at least I think this is what I've read and I mean, I have felt depressed but could still laugh at cartoons for instance). As for the "boring meaningless life" thing, this is part of depression called hopelessness. It's very possible your outlook will change if you get out of depression, either by changing your life or changing your perspective.
Best wishes on your journey to wellness!

kingkylie

kingkylie

Yes, your depression is valid. You may be in remission for a time, but can get depressed again if something triggers you, which is probably what happened now. And depression doesn't have to mean you are sad. You can have other symptoms of depression and still be happy about things (at least I think this is what I've read and I mean, I have felt depressed but could still laugh at cartoons for instance). As for the "boring meaningless life" thing, this is part of depression called hopelessness. It's very possible your outlook will change if you get out of depression, either by changing your life or changing your perspective.
Best wishes on your journey to wellness!
Ah thank you very much! I'm really glad I find this webforum to really talk about it with people that understands it like you and the other nice people that replied this question. I need that kind of validation to be sure myself that it's real for me and to work on it.