• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do you tell people?

S

suzy

I was in hospital more than two years and diagnosed with bipolar. Only family knew, as I had lost touch with a lot of school friends, I only told two of them when I was getting better and they never helped me much, never invited me out or anything. I hardly ever see them now.

When I started uni I did not tell anyone but applied for disabled students allowance.

I have recently told my boyfriend as it was on my mind and I had told him that I am on meds for something. He seems fine about, it has not put him off me which is a good thing!

Just wondered what other people did- do you tell others that you are bipolar? None of my uni friends who I have known for a year know. I don't see that there is a reason for me to tell them?

Do you tell your work?

I am quite happy right now to just keep it known in the family and my boyfriend. I trust him not to tell anyone. I am not afraid of poeple knowing I just don't see it as anyone else's business.

I don't know what do you do about telling people? I just felt like a ramble

Emily-Rose

Emily-Rose

Hey there :)

Only a few of my close friends and my boyfriend know I am bipolar.

With my friends, I just think, it's not affecting my relationship with them, so I don't really think it's necessary for them to know.

I have never told any of the places I have worked. Only for the sole reason that it doesn't usually affect my quality of work. If it got to a stage where it was affecting my work, I think then would be the appropriate time to tell them.

Emily.x

jax

jax

I am very open about my Bipolar. For years (About 16 years) I hid my illness and felt great shame about being mentally ill. It is only in the last 4 years that I have felt comfortable about telling people. The shame is gone. I am glad too. I don't just tell anyone about my illness - but I will tell if someone asks about something relating to my illness. I've always been a very honest person anyhow - just selected what I told people lol.

My body is covered in scars too. Even on a place I can't cover up - my face. I feel more shame about divulging my self harm. I think Bipolar would be more accepted by the general public than self-harm. I don't tell many people about the self harm.
Jacqui