• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do you study the bible?

Lovely

Lovely

Hey!

I used to study the bible with Jehovah's Witnesses. I was just wondering if there were anyone on here that are witnesses or are having studies at the moment?

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
They came over the other day. i used to study the Bible, but under my own direction.

Concluded it's best understood as symbol, myth, analogy & metaphor, as a lot of things are. & that it's likely been altered a lot.

BlueBerry

BlueBerry

I almost bought a bible the other day. Not sure why.

Maybe I thought there was less chance of being haunted by spirits if there was a bible on my shelf?

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Not anymore. Too jaded by past church experiences. Also found out last week about a church in my town where the pastor sexually abused his children, and he is, unbelievably, still in this position of leadership and in a position to keep abusing girls. It's absolutely disgusting. Pastors, priests, and other church workers are some of the most effd up people you will ever meet. And the problem is, they won't even admit they have a problem.

Lovely

Lovely

Not anymore. Too jaded by past church experiences. Also found out last week about a church in my town where the pastor sexually abused his children, and he is, unbelievably, still in this position of leadership and in a position to keep abusing girls. It's absolutely disgusting. Pastors, priests, and other church workers are some of the most effd up people you will ever meet. And the problem is, they won't even admit they have a problem.
I understand, it's impossible to put trust in those sort of preachers.

Gajolene

Gajolene

I grew up with witness' and was one in my youth for several years. It is a very strict separatist religion, but there is a huge amount of inner faith support available. They do tend to segragate you from non believing family members that don't believe in "The Truth". For me it was not a good situation as it was used to mask what was going on behind closed doors in my family and messed with my values and reality of how the world really works. I still have problems to this day because of it.
I have nothing against the witness' who choose this path on their own as adults however. They can be very beneficial and their faith is strong solid and unwavering. There is a very strong sense of community and guidance within and many are very happy with that chosen life path.

BlueBerry

BlueBerry

Are you joking? Or are you actually seeing spirits?
I was mostly just kidding but you never know. My mum, sister and grandma are all firm believers in ghosts and they say they've seen spirits and ghosts before.

I haven't seen any, but I often worry something will come in get me when I'm trying to sleep after a horror movie. I spend the whole night hiding under the covers! :hidesbehindsofa:

Lovely

Lovely

I grew up with witness' and was one in my youth for several years. It is a very strict separatist religion, but there is a huge amount of inner faith support available. They do tend to segragate you from non believing family members that don't believe in "The Truth". For me it was not a good situation as it was used to mask what was going on behind closed doors in my family and messed with my values and reality of how the world really works. I still have problems to this day because of it.
I have nothing against the witness' who choose this path on their own as adults however. They can be very beneficial and their faith is strong solid and unwavering. There is a very strong sense of community and guidance within and many are very happy with that chosen life path.
Thank you for sharing that lovely. I completely understand and could not have explained that better myself. I feel like I can relate, although you've not gone into depth about your experiences. It is indeed a militant way of life & hats off to those that live to the best of their ability by the good wholesome principles - it's nothing other than inspiring.

Regardless of the doctrines, rules & regulations - people are people & no one is perfect no matter where you go. However, for me learning about the bible is like being in "The Matrix" & being unplugged - like an awakening! Many people have a bible and read it, but when you 'study' it over & over again for years, then there's no real going back! Once you know, you know! I'm trying to think what my point is! Ok, here's a question. If you've learnt & believe in "The Truth", but you aren't in it, how do you live in the world?

Last edited:
Lovely

Lovely

I was mostly just kidding but you never know. My mum, sister and grandma are all firm believers in ghosts and they say they've seen spirits and ghosts before.

I haven't seen any, but I often worry something will come in get me when I'm trying to sleep after a horror movie. I spend the whole night hiding under the covers! :hidesbehindsofa:
Oh ok! Well, if you fancy having a bible on your shelf then go for it! But on a serious note you probably wouldn't want to see them, ever, it sucks. On a lighter note, I am afraid of my own shadow! Infact I watched Harry Potter the other night & refused to fall asleep! That's the only horror I can watch, & it's not even considered a horror! Lol.

This is really strange & random, but I swear earlier today I was reading a thread about virginity and I read your reply on there!

Gajolene

Gajolene

Regardless of the doctrines, rules & regulations - people are people & no one is perfect no matter where you go. However, for me learning about the bible is like being in "The Matrix" & being unplugged - like an awakening! Many people have a bible and read it, but when you 'study' it over & over again for years, then there's no real going back! Once you know, you know! I'm trying to think what my point is! Ok, here's a question. If you've learnt & believe in "The Truth", but you aren't in it, how do you live in the world?
I stick close to my family unit, I pass on good morals and values to my kids and close friends and reletives, I believe in a greater being and don't dwell where that being is or how it is represented, but unlike the witness'

I live for what I can accomplish for the good of all in this life while I'm living rather than living in hopes of being worthy of the resurrection into the new system. I pray time to time, but not often and never selfishly, always for strength or for help for loved ones.

For a long time I assumed everyone had the same values as the witness' and the worlds harsh realities was very hard to bear. As I am still agorophobic to a large extent and my social anxiety and trauma history impedes my making friends and trusting. So in that regards I live guarded and hypervigilent for my safety and the safety of my sons.

The witness' were my mum's salvation, she stayed with it untill her death. For the rest of the family it was just a mask to keep up appearances and to hide abuses. My father was military and athiest. I married a united church ministers son and it was a disaster. My faith in god in unwavering, my faith in church's and in man was broken by those in the church's more than people in general. Although I think morality has really hit an all time low in today's flippant society.

Church's today are a huge trigger for me, I have a hard time even passing them in the street without becoming ill. A lot of my trauma history happened while I was involved with the churches, saw much hypocracy, hiding of abuses and judging from those who were no better than anyone else yet proclaimed to be true christians. Not to say all are bad, most really are good people, just that there will always be those, who do bad in the name of god and professing their superior opinions of themselves over others in their zelitous behaviors while abusing at home behind closed doors in the name of god for their own selfish endevours.

That being said I do agree that just because you have a bible doesn't mean you know your bible, in that regard I don't think there is another religion out there that knows bible values and docterines as well as the witness' do. I can still recall several parts valuble to myself, to build my faith easily. I choose to keep my spiritual relationship between me and god individually.

Lovely

Lovely

Wow. That is one amazing reply, thank you ever so much for taking the time out. You sound like a really lovely & wonderful woman.

I too am very family orientated. I don't have children yet, but from what I've learnt so far, I know I will aim to encourage good morals & values as much as I can! However, I hear you, the constant dwelling, pressure & over-thinking regarding the creator of everything isn't healthy! Our human brains can just about handle the fact there are other dimensions!

I still pray sometimes, I even find that I say a quick prayer of appreciation before a meal too!

calypso

calypso

Admin
There is a person on here, so I'll message them to see if they can talk to you. He is a lovely person and won't do any ranting or anything. We don't allow people to try to convert others on here, so he will be able to listen. He might be able to talk with you - can't promise.

Gajolene

Gajolene

She can contact her nearest Kingdom Hall as well. They are very quick to respond for home bible studies and transportation to and from the church meetings, book studies and Sunday services in a very safe environment. Just for general information.

Hope I didn't cross any guidelines on Religion tonight Calypso.

Lovely

Lovely

I stick close to my family unit, I pass on good morals and values to my kids and close friends and reletives, I believe in a greater being and don't dwell where that being is or how it is represented, but unlike the witness'

I live for what I can accomplish for the good of all in this life while I'm living rather than living in hopes of being worthy of the resurrection into the new system. I pray time to time, but not often and never selfishly, always for strength or for help for loved ones.

For a long time I assumed everyone had the same values as the witness' and the worlds harsh realities was very hard to bear. As I am still agorophobic to a large extent and my social anxiety and trauma history impedes my making friends and trusting. So in that regards I live guarded and hypervigilent for my safety and the safety of my sons.

The witness' were my mum's salvation, she stayed with it untill her death. For the rest of the family it was just a mask to keep up appearances and to hide abuses. My father was military and athiest. I married a united church ministers son and it was a disaster. My faith in god in unwavering, my faith in church's and in man was broken by those in the church's more than people in general. Although I think morality has really hit an all time low in today's flippant society.

Church's today are a huge trigger for me, I have a hard time even passing them in the street without becoming ill. A lot of my trauma history happened while I was involved with the churches, saw much hypocracy, hiding of abuses and judging from those who were no better than anyone else yet proclaimed to be true christians. Not to say all are bad, most really are good people, just that there will always be those, who do bad in the name of god and professing their superior opinions of themselves over others in their zelitous behaviors while abusing at home behind closed doors in the name of god for their own selfish endevours.

That being said I do agree that just because you have a bible doesn't mean you know your bible, in that regard I don't think there is another religion out there that knows bible values and docterines as well as the witness' do. I can still recall several parts valuble to myself, to build my faith easily. I choose to keep my spiritual relationship between me and god individually.
I'm so sorry, I accidentally pressed sent too soon on my other message! Admin allow 30 minutes to edit a post, which I realised way after the 30 minutes was up! Here's my message continued...

I still pray sometimes, I even find that I say a quick prayer of appreciation before a meal too! I should probably pray for others more often though. I just don't feel strong at the moment.

I'm so surprised that you've just said this, I thought only I felt this way - I have had such a shock to the system & a huge slap in the face after realising not everyone has the same values! Literally the harsh realities of this world is so hard to bear. I'm struggling with this a lot right now. It is hard to trust people, anyone, I mean I always give people the benefit of the doubt, but my goodness it's almost 99% thrown back in your face. So many people have an agenda, or a motive. This upsets me, it really does!

I am sorry to hear of your bad experience within the church. I can't imagine how hard it has been for you & how you're still managing to cope. I truly empathise & would love to give you a hug. I don't know how well I would've dealt with such scenarios. However, I think there's drawing a line to what the bible says, and people's actions & being able to differentiate the two! Majority of people end up blaming the bible. When really it's just the person's actions we should have a problem with, not necessarily the scriptures.

I think that too :) witnesses really do know the bible very well. I guess having read what you've said, I find it utterly and completely beautiful that you've not lost faith. And it's nice to know you've remained happy & content with your own personal relationship with God.

I am quite new to this site but if you read my previous thread, you'd have more of an understanding as to why I've now posted this thread. *sigh*

I'm chuffed that people have replied maturely & fairly while thinking of others. Thank you!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Mental Health Experiences 13