• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do You Still Need Your Psychiatric Diagnosis?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

No, I don't need it, it's out-dated and never helpful to begin with.

One point in particular in this article that I picked up on - the fact that services don't offer people the chance to come away from/'withdraw from' their diagnosis.
It's like if you don't want to buy into their label, you're pretty much left with no support offered. It's the psychiatrist's way or the highway.:(

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
No, I don't need it, it's out-dated and never helpful to begin with.

One point in particular in this article that I picked up on - the fact that services don't offer people the chance to come away from/'withdraw from' their diagnosis.
It's like if you don't want to buy into their label, you're pretty much left with no support offered. It's the psychiatrist's way or the highway.:(
i know - it's like you have to conform to the biomedical psychiatric view of all your experiences, however nonsensical.

It's worse than the mad hatters tea party & the Emperors new clothes.

calypso

calypso

Admin
i'm not ready to go back to work, so the diagnosis is helpful in keeping the ESA from my door. Am I right in thinking the US has no Mental Health Act so they can treat people any way they like?

B

bonobo

Nah, diagnoses' is just someone's opinion.

R

Rose19602

The Chair of DSM IV, Dr Allen Frances, has described the manual as ‘deeply flawed and scientifically unsound’ and the Chair of DSM 5, Dr David Kupfer, has admitted there are no biomarkers to validate the categories; a former NIMH director has described DSM as ‘totally wrong, an absolute scientific nightmare’ while the current one confirms that its categories ‘lack validity’; and NIMH has embarked on a massive project to re-write the diagnostic manuals from scratch. How can any professional think it is acceptable to conceal these vital debates from service users and carry on as before?
If that's true....she has a point!

R

Rose19602

i'm not ready to go back to work, so the diagnosis is helpful in keeping the ESA from my door. Am I right in thinking the US has no Mental Health Act so they can treat people any way they like?
Your diagnosis doesn't carry a stigma like so many others though Cal.

I got considered for both bipolar and schizophrenia when I went to psychiatry. They only gave up when I pointed out to my GP that I was 50 earlier that year and that the DSM stated that one of these diagnoses was unlikely after this age. It was dropped after that.....I think (?) .... but nobody has ever told me for sure, because I discharged myself.

How ridiculous does that make the construction of my case and diagnostic criteria during the period when they didn't realise how old I was?

They also placed descriptions in letters of my bipolar characteristics....which didn't have any place in a schizophrenia diagnosis - being such things as dramatic use of language. Then switched off from that diagnosis and started saying that I was "high functioning"......

Excuse me, but if that isn't twisting information and chopping and changing it to fit a diagnosis I don't know what is !!

Apart from being totally freaked out by the way I was treated, I CAN NOT any longer believe in a diagnostic system that allows for that level of manipulation.

(Apologies for the anger - it's not aimed at anyone...it just winds me up.)
x

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mostly I don't need my diagnosis anymore, but it did come in handy for getting out of jury duty a couple of years ago. I am extremely fortunate to have a psychiatrist who is willing to work with me as a partner in my mental health journey, and supports me in doing neurotherapy and gradually coming off my meds.

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It was a relief - if I have this correct - to be moved out of the bipolar bucket. Saved me grinding my teeth away. I have grown attached to the schizoaffective label on the level of it being a quirky looking word. Beyond that it makes no difference to my life. I wouldn't think. Unless I told someone. Then things can take a turn for the worse. Although the beauty of schizoaffective is you can say you're a bipolar person or a schizophrenia person as the situation demands.

I just say these days that im mad. I prefer that now. Even Though I think im more sane than most.

F

firemonkee57

With a diagnosis they tend not to look beyond the symptoms that go to make up a diagnosis. Unless you are very lucky unless they can throw a pill at it you're f%!*ed.

BlueBerry

BlueBerry

I've been thinking a lot lately about perhaps trying again to get professional help, and I've been thinking about what an actual diagnostic label would mean to me.

It might give me some clarity about how I've been feeling, but I think I'd be very worried that I'd been misdiagnosed somehow. My issues and problems seem so complicated, to this day I haven't quite explained everything on this forum. I'd probably keep thinking the psychiatrist missed something or understood how I'm feeling.

I'd be a bit worried about medication too. My crazy moods and emotions put me through a lot of hell, but it also results in some good feelings and experiences too. I wouldn't want my emotions or imagination to be "dulled" by medication.

Maybe I'm just happier calling myself mad or crazy and leaving it there. I kinda like the quirky sound of it. :dance:

Y

yoyogirl

It defines who I am my my state of mind.

R

Rose19602

With a diagnosis they tend not to look beyond the symptoms that go to make up a diagnosis. Unless you are very lucky unless they can throw a pill at it you're f%!*ed.
I think that you are far more f%!*ed with a diagnosis - if it's one of the stigmatised ones - because you are thenceforward treated in a way which I consider to be dismissive and inhumane.

I read on this forum that "some" people are treated well, but in the main the stigmatised diagnoses carry a high risk of no longer being treated as a person with feelings, integrity, intelligence and capable of telling the truth.

Until that changes....they can stick those diagnoses where the sun don't shine....whether they have a pill to "throw at them" or not!

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i don't know what i really think about it all any more.

i think the main contentions i have with it all, is -

a. What are the understandings used for these conditions/experiences.
b. What are the treatment approaches used.

i think there could be far more comprehensive understandings used & far more humane & comprehensive approaches to peoples care.

i suppose what people experience has to be called something, & there is i think some degree of validity in the general symptomatology of the main diagnostic classifications.

i don't hide the diagnosis, i don't make a secret of it - i do accept i'm diagnosed with schizophrenia & that i take medication for it. i do fit the general symptomatology.

i don't think it's a brain disease, & it's probably not primarily a brain condition - i think my own experiences could have been/could be far better treated, & that i could have been/could be far better helped. i don't really agree with biomedical psychiatry.

Current circumstances i'm not well enough to work, am dependent on benefits, & have to argue illness, & so especially in that regard i do need the diagnosis.

Medical/social reality - i am diagnosed with it.

Last edited: