Do you still experience "cycles" while on a mood stabilizer?

S

SilentSunflower

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this site. Also, please forgive me for being naive. I know very little about Bipolar Disorders.

Short Version (Because I know some people don't have time to read everything):
If you are on a mood stabilizer, is it common to still have manic or depressive episodes? Isn't a mood stabilizer supposed to prevent that?

Longer Version (Because I really want to share information behind the question):
I suffer from depression, anxiety, and hallucinations/delusions that come and go independently and randomly. I started seeing a new psychiatrist 3 months ago who believes that this is probably some type of mood disorder similar to bipolar disorders (But the psychosis symptoms take the place of manic episodes). All of my previous psychiatrists thought it was a form of schizophrenia.
She put me on lamotrigine. It worked wonders up until very recently. It lifted my mood and virtually stopped my hallucinations and delusions. In the past couple of days, my hallucinations and delusions have returned. I am worried because these symptoms have always come in "phases" where they start and stop for no reason.
So I am asking if it is common to still experience manic and depressive cycles on a mood stabilizer because I am afraid that it is possible that the phase coincidentally stopped around the time i started taking the medication, and is now starting again. I am afraid that maybe this medicine didn't work at all and it was just my imagination/high hopes. I am going to try to make an appointment with my psychiatrist if these symptoms don't go away in a few days.

Thank you in advance for your support
-Sunflower

Foxjo

Foxjo

Forum Safety Team
Hi Sunflower,
I am on a mood stabiliser and i do suffer from highs and lows in phases so i dont think it controls it completely however i am better managed under the mood stabiliser and am so glad i was put on it!

I too have psychosis symptoms that take the place mainly if i dont sleep well and become sleep deprived.

Im usually around the forum most days so if you want to chat drop me a message
Hugs
Fox

antimatterTek

antimatterTek

I am on a great combination of meds and still have episodes.

The meds cannot fix you completely. Whenever I have an episode that last longer than a few days, I call my doc and see if we can't do a slight med tweak.

I had a bout of paranoia and delusions of grandeur and found secret meaning in everything.

So we adjusted my meds a bit and it is much better.

Also, realize - in sane life there are ups and downs.