do you smoke weed to help alleviate anxiety and depression?

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

hey peeps I wish medicinal cannabis was legal In the UK although it's not...

Do any of you smoke weed to help with your anxiety and depression?

I don't want it to get high, I want it to get rid of the pain....

Liza9560

Liza9560

Hi from Texas!

I used to be a card carrying (not actually...never got a medicinal card), proud stoner. For years! Couple of decades. I don’t drink, but I smoked weed and I love coffee. I’ve also been on Zoloft for 5 years. In these last 7 or 8 weeks, my anxiety and depression have rearisen, and I’ve had to give up my beloved weed because it was proving counterproductive in my struggles.

Specifically, I experience chest pains (which freak me out), heightened paranoia and even more intrusive thoughts than normal right after I smoke weed. It’s not fun at all.

I haven’t tried CBD though, which is legal here in Texas. I am curious as to whether it could be relaxing. THC certainly isn’t.

My hurdle is getting over the habit of smoking, and wanting to smoke when I go out to hang with my pals. It’s getting easier, though, and I’m not thinking about it and craving it like I was when I first quit. Also, I’m a singer, and my throat has benefited so much for the lack of smoke intake. That’s a driving incentive in abstaining for me.

Hope you find solace!

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

Hi from Texas!

I used to be a card carrying (not actually...never got a medicinal card), proud stoner. For years! Couple of decades. I don’t drink, but I smoked weed and I love coffee. I’ve also been on Zoloft for 5 years. In these last 7 or 8 weeks, my anxiety and depression have rearisen, and I’ve had to give up my beloved weed because it was proving counterproductive in my struggles.

Specifically, I experience chest pains (which freak me out), heightened paranoia and even more intrusive thoughts than normal right after I smoke weed. It’s not fun at all.

I haven’t tried CBD though, which is legal here in Texas. I am curious as to whether it could be relaxing. THC certainly isn’t.

My hurdle is getting over the habit of smoking, and wanting to smoke when I go out to hang with my pals. It’s getting easier, though, and I’m not thinking about it and craving it like I was when I first quit. Also, I’m a singer, and my throat has benefited so much for the lack of smoke intake. That’s a driving incentive in abstaining for me.

Hope you find solace!
Hi Liza thanks for sharing your experience

Is there any weed that you specifically like?

I want weed to alleviate the pain and not get high

From what I understand it's the THC that gets you high whilst the CDB works for pain, I could be wrong though

Last edited:
Liza9560

Liza9560

Well, the THC will get you “high.” From what I’ve been taught, there are two spp. of cannabis that you use recreationally: C. sativa & C. indica. Sativa strains supposedly make you active, creative, up, maybe paranoid. Indica strains usually make you mellow, sleepy, lethargic maybe...I think there’s a groovy body high that goes with indicas more than sativas.

Having not taken CBD, I can’t vouch for its effects. But it seems like what you would want to use if you don’t wanna “get high.” Its applications are more often used medically to relieve problems.

What kind of pain are you experiencing?

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Hi. I was a long time cannabis user. Certain strains helped me manage anxiety and others my insomnia and this was helpful where other medicines failed. It's also legal where I live. I came to rely on it.

I had to stop taking it to be part of an experimental program for treatment resistant patients with major depressive disorder and I honestly don't really miss it much. Like all drugs l, it has unwanted side effects that go along with the therapeutic ones. Also quite expensive when one is a heavy user.

Jbb79

Jbb79

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Be Careful, to much Mj, You'll go permanently Crazy, End up in Psych-places, Hospitals x x Chewing gum And, tea - - Actually Helps

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

Well, the THC will get you “high.” From what I’ve been taught, there are two spp. of cannabis that you use recreationally: C. sativa & C. indica. Sativa strains supposedly make you active, creative, up, maybe paranoid. Indica strains usually make you mellow, sleepy, lethargic maybe...I think there’s a groovy body high that goes with indicas more than sativas.

Having not taken CBD, I can’t vouch for its effects. But it seems like what you would want to use if you don’t wanna “get high.” Its applications are more often used medically to relieve problems.

What kind of pain are you experiencing?
The pain of depression and anxiety as well as suffering from BPD

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

Hi. I was a long time cannabis user. Certain strains helped me manage anxiety and others my insomnia and this was helpful where other medicines failed. It's also legal where I live. I came to rely on it.

I had to stop taking it to be part of an experimental program for treatment resistant patients with major depressive disorder and I honestly don't really miss it much. Like all drugs l, it has unwanted side effects that go along with the therapeutic ones. Also quite expensive when one is a heavy user.
Which country you from?

Shame it's not legal in the UK

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Which country you from?

US, Northern California. Legality isn't nation-wide which causes problems when someone is discovered transporting cannabis across state lines.

I think it ought to be legal, government regulated like alcohol is but I remain skeptical of many of the claims being made about medicinal uses of both cannabis and it's derivatives, like CBD. What I mean is the evidence hasn't yet caught up to the claims, which are varied and so wide.

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

Which country you from?

US, Northern California. Legality isn't nation-wide which causes problems when someone is discovered transporting cannabis across state lines.

I think it ought to be legal, government regulated like alcohol is but I remain skeptical of many of the claims being made about medicinal uses of both cannabis and it's derivatives, like CBD. What I mean is the evidence hasn't yet caught up to the claims, which are varied and so wide.
Cool

Yea it actually should be made legal world wide

Liza9560

Liza9560

Y’all....my buddy brought me some coffee beans w/ CBD in from Colorado! Ha! Don’t know when I’ll try it, but you can be sure as shit I’ll report back!

In further weed news...I smoked three hits on Friday and got very freaked out. Bad girl...I knew that’d happen. I was at a bday party, I don’t drink, I was feeling really good. So anyhoo, I took half a klonopin to settle down, and it worked Friday night, but Saturday and Sunday I felt really off. Today is much better.

I am definitely going to abstain from my dear ganja.

toutatis

toutatis

Yeah, I do sometimes. I don't seek it out often because on my budget I simply can't afford it. But, yes, after a period of tackling and handling and enduring the symptoms of my psych issues, day in and day out, a nice cone or a little joint is blissful. And I'll just get stoned through the night enjoying the internet or whatever, in the peacefulness of the night. Aaaaah. And the next day I feel a better as well. Like a stress reliever.

Liza9560

Liza9560

Yup. So strange how certain chemicals can make specific thoughts happen more often. Knowing that intrusive thoughts are bogus and unreal still doesn’t make it ok to have them. If that makes any sense. I know that weed is gonna make me have more of em, so I just can’t do it. Not to mention the shaky, paranoid, self-conscious effects some strains will have.

Gange worsens my intrusive thoughts so no, I don't smoke it.

albie

albie

Yup. So strange how certain chemicals can make specific thoughts happen more often. Knowing that intrusive thoughts are bogus and unreal still doesn’t make it ok to have them. If that makes any sense. I know that weed is gonna make me have more of em, so I just can’t do it. Not to mention the shaky, paranoid, self-conscious effects some strains will have.
Never smoke SPICE(synthetic cannabis). It is horrendous.

K

Keesha

Yes I use cannabis
I think I have BPD
I’ve got characteristics of it